Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

h2 steering issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2022, 12:59 PM

thx for reply: my hummer is from 2007 and this is what the car store gave me for steering fluid: see pic

Old 12-06-2022, 01:01 PM

and i made a pic of the steering reservoir, 2 lines. 1 i use is going top to the brakepump? the lower one is going down to the steering gear.

Old 12-06-2022, 01:59 PM

You poured in the Wrong Fluid!!!
You may have just destroyed your power steering system.

You can not use ATF in the 2007 H2 power steering system.
And you should not use that bottle in your picture for anything on the H2. Wrong fluid, even for transmission.
Please stick to GM or AC Delco fluids only, and avoid these sort of mixups.

Did you not look at the owner's manual?

I just checked my extra fluid, and the owners manual. The GM Power Steering Fluid is CLEAR. The part number and type is listed in your owners manual.

Now, assuming it will not destroy much if you flush it out FAST, you may need about 10-15 litres of GM PS fluid. Depending if the fluids are "miscible". You need to test for miscibility first to find out what you are dealing with.
Normally it takes about 5 Litres. But in your case, now you have a huge problem. You will have to flush many times, or take the entire system apart.

Order it from the USA if you cannot get it locally.

For everyone else reading this: Some vehicles, especially older ones, use ATF as PS fluid. Some use ATF in the Transfer case also. But you need to read your owners manual before you start pouring stuff into your vehicle. Check with the dealer of your make and model of car.

This extends to all fluids. For example, some orange, pink, and green glycols should not be mixed together, and you can destroy some cooling systems by using the wrong stuff.

Last edited by finall; 12-06-2022 at 03:06 PM.
Old 12-06-2022, 02:34 PM

@finall you dont have to be so mean to me. im here asking for help .

i dont have a owners maual and i orderd some parts and oil locally based on vin number, and they selled it to me. based of champion website for a hummer h2. so they are wrong?

i DO believe that you guys here know more then others , so i will try to order the good oil for my hummer and start flushing asap.

please be patient with a new member.

Old 12-06-2022, 02:42 PM

i looked on the forum for steering oil and i found this one:

calif phil
DefaultIf you were here I would say buy Amsoil Synthetic power steering fluid. But since you probably don't have that option readily available I think any power steering fluid will be fine. You can even use Dexron ATF.

Old 12-06-2022, 02:45 PM

@ finall im very afraid that i did some wrong here, so im maximum trying to find info onlne, but also kroonoil says atf is good for it. ( dont wanne disrespect you)

https://www.kroon-oil.com/nl/product...mponent:93003/

Old 12-06-2022, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by wheelieman
@ finall im very afraid that i did some wrong here, so im maximum trying to find info onlne, but also kroonoil says atf is good for it. ( dont wanne disrespect you)

I edited my prior post. Not meant to be mean, just to wake you up

There is a lot of wrong information on the internet. And not many people know the Hummer H2, some of these are now 20 years old.
Kroon is VERY wrong, and you can tell them that.
It is possible that some Hummers prior to 2007 may have used ATF. I do not know. Maybe that is what Calif Phil was referring to, to give him benefit of the doubt?

bottom line: the info you are seeing on the net is wrong for 2007 Hummer H2. Ignore it. There is a lot of mis-information on the internet. I am correct. You can contact a GM dealer or AC Delco store to verify what I am saying is true.

PM me your email (via the private email, so it does not show on the post) and I will email you a copy of the owner's manual. See page 528.
Shows you the part numbers you need. That is the best proof. Note that it does NOT say you can use ATF.

Old school car guys are used to old cars that take ATF as PS fluid. Some cars still do.
But that does not mean you can just recommend to pour anything into your car without verifying.

Since you are in the NL, you will have to find who sells AC Delco in Europe. That is the easiest way to get the correct fluids. If that fails, check with some of the large online sellers of AC Delco on the internet, or eBay, to see if they will ship to Holland. It will be expensive, the stuff is heavy, but cheaper than future repairs. I only trust GM fluids for my vehicle. Much cheaper that potential future problems due to incompatibility. Others will argue and put in cheap stuff, but I will argue that that is false economy, and will cost you more $$ in the long term.

Hope this info helps.

Last edited by finall; 12-06-2022 at 03:27 PM.
Old 12-06-2022, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by wheelieman

2 Links for you to check out. Live and Learn:

2007 HUMMER H2 Owner Manual
GM Power Steering Fluid 89021184 Equivalent

What power steering fluid is compatible with 89021184?

Old 12-06-2022, 04:20 PM

For what its worth, the ATF currently in his system should be flushed out but will likely not cause any issues. ATF is actually called for in Saginaw Hydroboost systems in other applications. I'd not recommend it due to all the friction modifiers and whatnot in ATF but they are both essentially hydraulic oil with different additives. I'd as other mentioned use what the owners manual calls for or something like the Prestone shown above since it specifically states for American vehicles.

Old 12-06-2022, 06:14 PM

pull the lower return line, the one coming from the steering gear and attempt another flush. The one from the brake booster will not flow until the brake peddle is depressed and only a small amount.

I don't recommend using ATF in the steering system but have in a pinch without issue,

I would recommend doing another flush using the lower return line and the correct fluid,

Neal

Quick Reply: h2 steering issue