Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

h2 steering issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2022, 08:03 AM
Default h2 steering issue

Hello to all, im new here and i wanted to ask for your help.

i got a h2 from 2007 and i just got the car aligned, and still the steering is not good.
the steer will not go center after taking a turn, even on a straight line when i turn a little it stays to that position.

also have a lot of slack, but i did adjust it on the steering box, the slack is gone but it still is not going center after a turn.

i hope someone knows what i mean and have the answer.

i did: checked and greased all points, and didnt saw any slack or strange thing on the steering parts etc..... also the steering balancer works perfect.

i hope for a response, thx in advance

Old 11-30-2022, 10:15 AM

Was the issue there prior to you adjusting the steering gear and do you know what the alignment shop set the castor at?

What adjustments did you make to the steering gear?

Neal

Old 11-30-2022, 10:18 AM

you need to check all your links, idler, joints, tie-rods and ball joints. plus the steering shafts. determine where the slack is originating.

Old 11-30-2022, 11:05 AM

thx for answering already,

i try to explain (im dutch so maybe bad english)

the steering isnt changed after aligned, when i bought it . then it had a lot of slack and it was sticky when steering( turn a little to right and the steer stays at this position). i try to upload pic of the aligned from today.
i did check all points and greased them, and nothing feels bad or slack when trying to move them with a iron bar . when steering with engine running on a lift.(wheels free from ground)

i watch a youtube about the adjusting for slack, and it worked. got a tiny bit slack now in steer, but it didnt change the sticky movement on the road. it doesnt go to center after making a turn.
hope you get it what i mean.

Old 11-30-2022, 06:23 PM

From what I can tell the alignment looks good (I can't read Dutch), castor is the main concern when the steering doesn't return to center but yours looks good. A reputable shop would not perform an alignment if they find worn parts that will affect the alignment so we have to assume the front suspension is in good shape leaving only the steering gear to suspect. You commented that the truck had a lot of slack which points to a worn box also.

Old 11-30-2022, 06:36 PM

Improperly adjusted or very tight steering gear.

Old 11-30-2022, 07:21 PM

When you say, that’s the “steering wheel does not return to the center” do you mean:

a. The steering wheel is centered, but the vehicle does not drive in a straight line?
or

b. The steering wheel is not centered, but the vehicle drives in a straight line? Or

c. Steering wheel is not centered and vehicle does not drive straight? Meaning that the vehicle wants to keep turning?

I am guessing that you mean C?

Old 12-01-2022, 01:18 AM

@finall no abc, the only problem i feel is that the steering is too heavy/tight? normally when you make a turn the steering will go back to the center and follow the road, but mine is sticking in the position you turn a bit, so its not fun to drive. its not feeling too heavy to turn the wheel so the power assist is working good.

@hummerz i adjusted the steering box back (with a lot of slack in the steeringwheel) and still on the road it doesnt center straight. if i drive straight and steer a little to the right/left, the steeringwheel will stick to that position!

Old 12-01-2022, 07:53 AM

Assuming the air pressure in the tires is set correctly, are the wheels and tires stock? in other words, no oversize wheels with different offsets or wheel spacers/adapters.

Old 12-01-2022, 08:47 AM

no stock wheels, i adjusted the steeringhouse bolt again, now i have some slack in my steeringwheel but on the road its almost good, so i guess its just getting the balance between slack and overtightning the gears in the house.
hope i told it good .

Quick Reply: h2 steering issue