Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

H2 Power Fold Mirrors - Wiring/Fuse/Relay

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 06:17 AM
Default H2 Power Fold Mirrors - Wiring/Fuse/Relay

Trying to find details and wiring info for this is difficult. (Resolved - see last thread)

There are only two wires going to the fold motor/actuator (brown and gray) so presumeably there is a relay that reverses the voltage when the 4-way switch pad is operated..

With the mirror selector switch central and the 4-way selector pressed left the mirror folds out OK and +12V is measured accross the module. Moving the switch right there is nothing, not even for a second. It suggests that either a fuse has blown or its a bad relay.

Would anyone know where the fuse and relays are?

Any info welcome!

Last edited by oceanbrave; 03-26-2017 at 06:10 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:07 AM

Here's the power mirror circuit. Goodluck!

Attached Files
Old 03-02-2017, 07:51 AM

Thank you citiboy very helpful.

I dismantled the door module, and found there is a microprocessor Door Actuator Chipp (STL9949) that controls the power-fold. Its all solid-state so no relays or fuses in this part of the circuit, so it boils down to two things:-

Either the chip is faulty, however Pin-9 (Out1) and Pin-12 (Out2) seem OK i.e. neither one grounded or low resistance to GND and both have simlar diode-test characteristics.

Or its down to programming, may be needs recalibrating?

Anyway the chips are obsolete and hard to find but bought a couple from ebay (China - bit dodgy)

So we'll see where this goes. Unfortunately I dont have scan tool here in UK but thinking about getting one.

Thanks again!

Last edited by oceanbrave; 03-26-2017 at 06:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-02-2017, 08:02 AM

Did you check if you have power to the passenger door module (PDM fuse 15A located on the I/P fuse box).

Old 03-02-2017, 10:28 AM

The issue on both mirrors not folding and or unfolding ?

The circuit shows two motors with each mirror having one of those motors. Two separate circuits to control each of those mirror motor.

I would look at connector wiring in the door and the switch itself. A blown fuse would cripple other electrical controls.

Old 03-03-2017, 12:38 PM

As I mentioned, the arm will unfold but will not fold.

When its unfolding there is +12V accross the motor-module, when folding there is nothing.

Each door has an independant microprocessor controlled Serial I/O module, the passenger side s OEM 15262336 you can just see the motor-module's wires Gray + Brown on the 10-Way blue connector. On the PCB this connector is just beneath the IC L9949 which is a bespoke Door Actuator Driver chip using a Full Bridge circuit to change the polarity accross the motor-module depending on which way the module is commanded to move.

As the arm can unfold that means the wiring and power must be OK and the serial data to the module must also be OK. In every other sense the doors lock, windows move etc everything works except fold.

So either the module is not being commanded to move OR one of the full-bridge drivers has failed probably the latter.

If I get the power-fold to work I'll post all the details plus how to repair the arm + motor-module assembly, as you can see mine was badly corroded (see the repaired jpg)

Attached Thumbnails H2 Power Fold Mirrors - Wiring/Fuse/Relay-img_20170301_124054.jpg   H2 Power Fold Mirrors - Wiring/Fuse/Relay-img_20170302_133117.jpg   H2 Power Fold Mirrors - Wiring/Fuse/Relay-img_20170301_140350.jpg   H2 Power Fold Mirrors - Wiring/Fuse/Relay-after.jpg  

Last edited by oceanbrave; 03-26-2017 at 06:14 PM.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:11 PM

Well as you may have guessed I've successfully repaired the power-fold arm on the passenger side of my H2 (2005)

To test it I conected a variable PSU to the motor-drive module and it folds nicely in and nicely out, seems 100% AOK.

At 12V the current drain is around 2A max well withing the 6A capability of the chip's Full-Bridge driver, this is also short-circuit protected, temperature protected so hard to imagine the chip has failed.

The control module is sophisticated and could be going in to shutdown so to test the Full-Bridge drive I used two 12V LED strips cross-wired so depending on the polarity one strip lights, swap the polarity and the other lights (tested of course) as the LED current is only 20mA the chip can't overload.

Just as for the motor, only one strip came on so it really does suggest that one side of the Full-Bridge O/P is likely to have failed. Just need a new chip or a door module, any offers??

Last edited by oceanbrave; 03-03-2017 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 12:56 PM
Default Power Fold - Sorted at last!

Well here is a thing.

Retract didnt work, not wiring faults, bad contacts, blown chips, bad switches in fact both Door Control Modules AOK, FR Power Fold AOK, FL Power Fold still to repair. But...........

When I 1st got the H2 the FL mirror didnt work, so I stripped it down, fixed it but when I put it back together I'd inadvertently reveresed the Left-Right motor wires so pressing "left" moved it "right" etc

It seems the Door Control module attempts to restore the mirror positions and if it cant then it inhibits the retract function.

Now come on, who knew that!!!!!

Thank god for the TECH2!!!

Again thanks to all thos who helped!

Last edited by oceanbrave; 03-26-2017 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08-16-2019, 11:37 AM

Oceanbrave, I am having the exact same issue. After manually folding, using the switch to extend the mirrors works, but the switch will not retract the mirrors. How did you solve your problem?

Old 08-16-2019, 01:56 PM

Check both Left and Right mirrors move in the correct directions i.e. pressing up moves up, down moves down, left pans left, right pans right.

This is very important because the mirror-motors have "feedback" (literally a potentiometer) that informs the BCU of their position, before folding-inwards the BCU first commands the mirror-motors (not fold-motors) back to their "mid-positions", if this fails the command is aborted (presumeably to prevent the mirror-glass striking the body work)

Folding-outwards should always work as it doesn't matter what positions the mirrors are in.

If any one of your motor's wiring is reversed (easily done), is non-functional, or simply stuck then you will have this problem, in short the mirrors must be 100% working before they'll fold-inwards!

You can check your "Kerb View" functions correctly too.

After spending many hours dismantling door modules, reverse engineering the PCB, changing IC chips and tracing wiring etc, I discovered this using a TECH2.

Good luck, please let me know how you get on...

Quick Reply: H2 Power Fold Mirrors - Wiring/Fuse/Relay