Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Fair price for 2004 Hummer H2 with 185K?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2021, 07:06 PM
Cool Fair price for 2004 Hummer H2 with 185K?

Hi all! I am new here, I have been scouring this forum since Sunday gathering insight to the H2. I have a friend with a 2004 Hummer H2 that is looking to sell it, but it's got some issues. I want to make an offer to him on it, but don't want to insult him. Here are the issues with it, that I feel make my idea offer valid:
-dipstick tube rusted and broke off 4 days ago - needs replacement
-needs tires
-needs alignment
-cab lights not working
-off road factory bar lights not working
-instrument cluster not working
-driver heated seat has a mind of its' own turning off and on as it please
-crease between driver door and body is currently holding solid ice from top to bottom
- 1 DRL not working
-Radio doesn't hold new programming
-heater settings sometimes don't respond. Trying to turn heat to 90 and it bounces back and forth between a few degrees, never going up to 90 as expected
-misfire; needs plugs. I am assuming it needs a full tune-up
-underneath extremely rusted
-Rear passenger door handle mechanism broke
-Inside is trashed. It needs an immense cleaning.
-184,XXX miles

When he went to buy a new vehicle last weekend the dealer wouldn't even look at it. I am currently borrowing it for the week while my Terrain is in the shop, I only want this for the fun of it (even with all the problems and $$ to be sank into it).

Est. book value in good shape is $5000-7000; would an offer of $3000 be an insult? I was originally thinking $2000-2500. But decided maybe $3000 would for sure be a decent offer.
He bought it new in 04, and has taken decent care of it over the years. The last few years it has sat more than it is driven because he works from home and would choose to drive the Vette over the hummer for most of his driving. 3 years ago he moved to a loft downtown and now has to pay $450 a month for parking - once the Vette sells and he offs this beast he can unload that expense.

The way I look at it, if he wants to get $5000ish for it, then he will need to put some money into it, AND hope for a buyer. (Not everyone wants the obnoxiously big yellow gas guzzler.) Work he can no longer due himself due to living in the city and not having tools or a garage and he's getting up there in age and he admitted recently that his IT hands are not quite up for wrenching these days.

Thoughts? Am I off my rocker?