Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Electric problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2024, 02:36 AM
Default Electric problems

Hey all

since yesterday I'm a owner of a 2005 H2 before I had a H3.

So to the problems, when I drove home i had some critical electronic issues, my speedometer light up like a christmas tree and everything collapsed except the speed and rpm.

at home I checked with the Tech2 the failures and got this:

I'm right with this, that the BCm Module should be checked and is it reals behind the steering whel console?

any helpful advice?

Thank you for the help

Old 05-09-2024, 07:28 AM

U1064 points to the BCM (BCM ID=64) U1301 indicates a "High Voltage" condition on the Serial Data bus.

As the bus links all control modules, any loss of signal integrity may affect any module, so the BCM may not be the cause but possibly the victim, so far you have the Cluster, BCM, PCM and Transfer Case Module (ATC)

It sounds like something is corrupting the data bus and affecting communications, possible causes are:-
  • Aftermarket equipment such as a radio, anti-theft system etc.
  • Water ingress:
    • Roof leaks
    • Inflatable Restrain Module (SDM) under the driver's seat
    • Air Suspension connector, especially if the AS has been removed.
    • Door control modules DDM or PDM
Splice Pack SP205 is a very important connector as all the Serial Data Bus modules link-up there and each may by disconnected in-turn so the fault can be isolated, see attached pdf. Also watch
, you'll find it interesting.

A good clue would be any module that's not working 100% correctly.

Is your Instrument Cluster stock? (my '05 is different, yours looks later)

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
SP205.pdf (617.2 KB, 36 views)
Old 05-09-2024, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by oceanbrave
U1064 points to the BCM (BCM ID=64) U1301 indicates a "High Voltage" condition on the Serial Data bus.

As the bus links all control modules, any loss of signal integrity may affect any module, so the BCM may not be the cause but possibly the victim, so far you have the Cluster, BCM, PCM and Transfer Case Module (ATC)

It sounds like something is corrupting the data bus and affecting communications, possible causes are:-
  • Aftermarket equipment such as a radio, anti-theft system etc.
  • Water ingress:
    • Roof leaks
    • Inflatable Restrain Module (SDM) under the driver's seat
    • Air Suspension connector, especially if the AS has been removed.
    • Door control modules DDM or PDM
Splice Pack SP205 is a very important connector as all the Serial Data Bus modules link-up there and each may by disconnected in-turn so the fault can be isolated, see attached pdf. Also watch this video, you'll find it interesting.

Is your Instrument Cluster stock? (my '05 is different, yours looks later)
Hi Oceanbrave

Thank you very much for the answer.
- Yes I have a aftermarket Radio, but this would be replace with one tesla Style from China
the previous owner did a very bad job with this installation (sorry for the dark picture)

What I saw, is this free cable at the rear left passenger side wheel arch, can this make some short circuit.
the previous owner changed the air suspension with springs, is this the air suspension connector?

- after market anti-theft system is no installed
- water ingress is possible from the roof lights, there will be exchanged and sealed with silicon
- Inflatable Restrain Module (SDM) under the driver's seat --> will be checked
- Air Suspension connector, especially if the AS has been removed --> connector in the picture above?
- Door control modules DDM or PDM -->will be checked
- Splice Pack SP205 --> video and PDF will be checked

thank you

Old 05-09-2024, 02:58 PM

[/QUOTE]

Is your Instrument Cluster stock? (my '05 is different, yours looks later)[/QUOTE]

- As I see, everything is working well, sometimes the side mirrors gone crazy
-My Cluster is stock, as I know, but I'm not sure. perhaps of the Switzerland edition?

Old 05-09-2024, 05:18 PM

The above is the LHS ride-height sensor connector, there's another on the RHS, it would be best to seal them (somehow) rather than let them corrode.

The main AS Unit 16-Way connector is the right half of item-1 (C451) in yellow shown below:-

C451 connects the Serial Data bus, the above diagram is hard to visualize, however its a "Top View", in red is the rear tow-hitch, this is a single compressor unit yours will a dual (sorry didn't have a dual diagram)

The 2nd connector C450 and is the main power connector, again both connectors should be sealed (somehow)

The side mirrors are control by the Driver's Door Module, these tend to suffer from water ingress (rain), both DDM & PDM are easy to remove/disconnect without undoing the door panel.

The Class2 Serial Data bus is literally 2 wires that link all modules in parallel all over the vehicle, a the fault could be any module or connector, this is why splice pack SP205 is so useful.

Take care with the Airbag Restraint Module it is physical-position sensitive

Look for any signs of cabin leaks, especially around the left A-Pillar, the aftermarket radio would seem a good candidate but pulling it's fuse may not be enough, hence SP205

The Instrument cluster could be original I mention it because it too could be a fault candidate.

Also check your battery is charged and healthy.

Old 05-11-2024, 04:59 PM

So DDM & PDM was expanded, cleaned and with contact spray treated. the LHS ride-height sensor connector, was sealed and today, no Christmas lights in the cluster but it was also a sunny day.
When I had the christmas tree Cluster it was raining outside, perhaps it has some short circuit during rain.
The only problem I had was that the traction control was lighting up (the text: active traction control) and the H2 slowed down, but only for some minutes. after than every thing was fine... not sure what the problem was.

Old 05-13-2024, 05:11 AM

@George W
Re the DDM & PDM
If by "expanded" you mean dismantled down to PCB level then there's a chance this fixed the issue (5%)

If you search the forum for "water leaks" there are a number of hits on this, like this one by MixManSC is very relevant (85%)

The Class2 Serial Data bus speed is 10400 bits/sec, so it only takes the slightest glitch (loss of data) to corrupt communications to any of the 14 or so modules. Comms to the BCM is critical, plus water ingress is very bad, it causes corrosion to wires, tracks and contacts potentially eroding them away and causing permanent damage.

BTW the ride-height connector is just "best practice" more important is the 16-Way As Suspension connector underneath at the rear. If the AS Unit is still present with the connector is plugged-in then fine but if it's hanging loose it needs protecting.

Old 05-13-2024, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by oceanbrave
@George W
Re the DDM & PDM
If by "expanded" you mean dismantled down to PCB level then there's a chance this fixed the issue (5%)

If you search the forum for "water leaks" there are a number of hits on this, like this one by MixManSC is very relevant (85%)

The Class2 Serial Data bus speed is 10400 bits/sec, so it only takes the slightest glitch (loss of data) to corrupt communications to any of the 14 or so modules. Comms to the BCM is critical, plus water ingress is very bad, it causes corrosion to wires, tracks and contacts potentially eroding them away and causing permanent damage.

BTW the ride-height connector is just "best practice" more important is the 16-Way As Suspension connector underneath at the rear. If the AS Unit is still present with the connector is plugged-in then fine but if it's hanging loose it needs protecting.
expanded like this

Ok, I will check your points.

Thanks a lot

Old 05-13-2024, 05:37 AM

Impressive! Every pic is worth 10,00 words!

Typically it's the DDM since this gets exposed to the elements more. Usually signs of corrosion can be seen, however sometimes it's underneath components, as here where I've removed the processor:-

Also what country are you in?

Old 05-13-2024, 05:38 AM

Switzerland?

Quick Reply: Electric problems