Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Do these come off from the outside?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2023, 04:37 PM
Default Do these come off from the outside?

I want to make these black as I’m on a de-chrome quest.

Old 09-25-2023, 04:06 PM

812sf - The previous owner of my Hummer was also on a de-chrome quest and did paint the chrome black on the mirrors. I am not positive how it was done, but based on the scuff marks on the chrome, I believe that they pried the chrome piece out before painting. They painted the chrome, which looks great, but it damages easily. Rocks and bugs chip at the black paint and reveals the chrome below. I do not think they sanded or primed, or clear coated, which may be the root of the problems.

It does not appear that you would need to remove the entire mirror from the door. I think you can pop out the mirror glass, remove the mirror motor and get the chrome out... but may need other posters to provide detail.

To fix the issues with the black paint chipping on the grille, I had my installer repaint it with Plasti-Dip, and it looks great and has better wear resistance. I think the matte appearance of the plastic-dip works better with the H2 - just my humble opinion.

Blackout items on my H2:
  • Mirror chrome - custom painted
  • Grille chrome - custom painted, then repainted with plastic-dip
  • Front bumper impact bar - custom painted - this has lots of chips... I might recommend powder coating for durability
  • Rear bumper impact bar - custom painted
  • Front skid plate - this has rock chips as well - I might recommend powder coating for durability
  • Door handles - buy black ones
  • Hood latches - buy black ones
  • Brush guard - Aires black grille guard
  • Running Boards - Aires black nerf bars
  • Hood Handles - buy black ones

Here are some photos...

Old 10-01-2023, 03:15 PM

You need to use zinc chromate primer directly on the chrome first. No prep work. It chemically binds the chromium. I have done it and it works!

Foolish to just apply paint to chrome. It will never stick for long. As you found out.

is that just a sticker, or did u do a Duramax conversion?

Last edited by finall; 10-01-2023 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10-04-2023, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by finall
You need to use zinc chromate primer directly on the chrome first. No prep work. It chemically binds the chromium. I have done it and it works!

Foolish to just apply paint to chrome. It will never stick for long. As you found out.

is that just a sticker, or did u do a Duramax conversion?
Looks like it’s just a sticker. I’d think he would have to have a little more wheel clearance than that with the 2-3 inch body lift required. Neat if it is tho. Wanna trade?😂

Old 10-04-2023, 10:54 AM

Hey guys! It is a duramax conversion done by Predator. @Gavin Costigan is eagle eyed... one of the issues is that the front end clearance is poor... the duramax engine is much heavier and drops the front end about 2 inches... it is actually back at Predator, as we speak, to get the front end leveled...

Old 10-04-2023, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Brunob00
Hey guys! It is a duramax conversion done by Predator. @Gavin Costigan is eagle eyed... one of the issues is that the front end clearance is poor... the duramax engine is much heavier and drops the front end about 2 inches... it is actually back at Predator, as we speak, to get the front end leveled...
ahh I see. That’s sick. One day I’ll have one.

Old 10-11-2023, 11:06 PM

I don't want to high jack the thread. How much did Predator charge you and do you find it worth it?

I have been thinking about doing it for a while.