Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Ding sound after keys removed

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2023, 05:24 PM
Default Ding sound after keys removed

Hey guys, driving me a bit nuts here.

brought in the H2 to have the heater core replaced, whole dash removed…

now that I have it back I’m running into two super annoying issues that I’ve never seen before.

1. when I take the keys out and open the door, it dings like I’ve left my lights on or the truck in the ACC position, confirmed 100x that lights aren’t on and key is all the way back…

2. when driving over a gravel road on the way home, 3-4 times half the gauge cluster just died on me, always the right side, some error lights, right gauges go to 0… but then after another bump, it turns back on.

both these issues don’t seem to affect anything other than the gauges or the annoying sound, but would like to go back to the mechanic and have him figure out the issue..

does anyone have any ideas?

Old 10-16-2023, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by hummerbaja

now that I have it back I’m running into two super annoying issues that I’ve never seen before.

1. when I take the keys out and open the door, it dings like I’ve left my lights on or the truck in the ACC position, confirmed 100x that lights aren’t on and key is all the way back…

2. when driving over a gravel road on the way home, 3-4 times half the gauge cluster just died on me, always the right side, some error lights, right gauges go to 0… but then after another bump, it turns back on.

both these issues don’t seem to affect anything other than the gauges or the annoying sound, but would like to go back to the mechanic and have him figure out the issue..

Sounds Like something going on with the Body Computer. That controls all the interior gack. Maybe some plug behind the dash ain't seated right. I have an 09 H2..I can Pop my glove box down and pear in there. Maybe you can peek under the dash Driver and passenger side and take a look. I know on my 09 the body computer is around behind the Brake pedal in a holder with a bunch of connectors going in there.

BWTFDIK

Old 10-16-2023, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by hummerbaja

Old 10-18-2023, 09:11 AM

hummerbaja sounds odd and very unlucky.

not saying it's unrelated to the job, however consider this:-
  • Re the cluster, I'm not aware of it being wired in "2 halves" all gauges are controlled via a single serial data bus, so it's odd for just one side to stop working. It could be a dry joint or fractured track on the cluster PCB, or possibly a loose/bad ground. A fault in the data bus would normally affect everything on the dash, so would seem to be the cluster itself.
  • the ding may be related to the Retained Accessory Power being kept alive via something "feeding back" into the wiring, one notorious candidate is the front windshield motor, you can prove this by pulling out the fuses - WS WPR (25Amp IP Fuse block lower LHS of dash) and the W/S WASH (15 amp engine compartment) If the ding goes away it's the wiper motor.
Sometimes disturbing stuff cause "knock-on" issues with components "on the edge" so to speak, a well known phenomenon when servicing, particularlyolder stuff.

It's easy to try the fuses, that may answer some of the problems, please keep us posted ✔️

Old 10-19-2023, 07:03 PM

I’m with hummerz. Take it back. If it’s happened basically right after, it’s 99% probable its the mechanics fault. It’s possible he dropped the cluster or something, or there is a loose connection. That’s not something fun to repair on your own even if you like working on cars, electrical gremlins are a big f-no for me if I don’t have to mess with em, I won’t.