Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Cracked Upper Dash (08-09)

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2024, 03:15 PM

@Brunob00 I got so fed up with the rattling of this piece I finally decided to just go for it. I was extremely careful with prying it up, taking careful note where the clips were located and to pry around there.

In the end I got the panel up and only broke 2 clips and where one of my large cracks was already mostly broken apart, it finally separated. But I used some self-adhesive velcro in strategic places to keep it staying down, and it now is quiet. Looks like crap but it doesn't rattle, so my ears are much happier.

Old 08-12-2024, 10:14 PM

@HellHoof I did get a quote of $1200... but I have to do it... will keep you updated... not cheap...

Old 08-13-2024, 01:56 PM

H2-SUT
Looks very solid now, I thought I was only one to reinforce a perfectly good panel lol. My favorite go to epoxy now is 3M superfast it sets up in 20 seconds, fully cured in an hour and is incredibly strong. Fills wide gaps without running and sagging. Autobody shops use it to repair bumper covers. pricey though

Old 08-13-2024, 07:38 PM

My 09's Dash is perfect. I use a Sun shade all the time in the summer.

Old 08-22-2024, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Brunob00
@HellHoof I did get a quote of $1200... but I have to do it... will keep you updated... not cheap...
Is this just to repair a broken one?

Old 08-23-2024, 11:01 AM
Default Dash

Originally Posted by HellHoof
My cracks are in the same positions but go outwards instead of forwards.

From replacing this in my Avalanche, it shattered to pieces when I tried to remove it. It wasn’t even cracked to begin with, just broken clips on the bottom.

when I first bought our H2 in 2004 we installed a light gray dash cover, its carpet with a foam/foil back, we also bought one for the H3 in 2006, to this day when you remove the dash cover the dash looks brand new, no cracks or broken parts and we also installed window vents so we leave the windows down about an inch so the wind blows thru the truck and removing the heat from the truck, the only broken thing I have is the drivers door panel, H2 an (idiot) at hummer stood on the arm rest to move the light bar so it would fit on the lift, cracking the arm rest and lower panel, they ordered a new panel but there was none available, so I had to silicone the panel back together, to this day….

2004H2
2006H3

Old 08-23-2024, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by 2004H2
when I first bought our H2 in 2004 we installed a light gray dash cover, its carpet with a foam/foil back, we also bought one for the H3 in 2006, to this day when you remove the dash cover the dash looks brand new, no cracks or broken parts and we also installed window vents so we leave the windows down about an inch so the wind blows thru the truck and removing the heat from the truck, the only broken thing I have is the drivers door panel, H2 an (idiot) at hummer stood on the arm rest to move the light bar so it would fit on the lift, cracking the arm rest and lower panel, they ordered a new panel but there was none available, so I had to silicone the panel back together, to this day….

2004H2
2006H3
The GMT-900 (08-09 H2, 07-13/14 Silverado, Tahoe, etc.) interiors are much improved over the GMT-800 (up to 07 H2), but they have one fatal flaw: the dash's design. It's so bad people have attempted class action lawsuits, tried to get a recall issued over fears that the cracked dash would become a projectile during airbag deployment, but no efforts have succeeded. GM did add additional supports to fix the cracking issues late in the generation run, but that is no help to us H2 owners as they were already discontinued by the time they addressed the problems.

The H2 dash also isn't the same, so parts can't be swapped, but the similar design flaws still exist. I appreciate everyone with the first gen interior trying to assist, but this is a defective design and inferior material, not something that a sunshade can help. And by now they're so old and brittle, chances of getting that piece off without breaking are nil, so adding reinforcements as a preventative measure isn't an option.