Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Cracked Upper Dash (08-09)

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2021, 12:05 PM
Default Cracked Upper Dash (08-09)

The upper dash panel on my 08 is cracked in several places. This causes a really irritating rattle. I know GM had a horrendous run with dashes cracking from 07 until they fixed it in like 2013ish. I've had the dash replaced in my Avalanche, and I replaced the upper dash - its like a $90 Dorman part. But I can't find ANY upper dashes for an H2. I know they're rarer, and only having this dash for 2 years doesn't help.

Has anyone else had issues with their upper dash cracking and repairing or replacing it?

It is part #4 - 25913318. The piece with the defrost vents, center speaker, and sunlight sensor.

Old 07-24-2021, 02:19 PM

I too am in search of the upper dash panel for my 2008 H2! I can't seem to find any replacement parts for it. ​​​​​​It is the only component in the dash that has issues. ​I have cracks on the left and right side. When I have run into a salvage firm parting out an H2, they never have that particular part... maybe they are all cracked or maybe they break trying to pull them out. It could potentially be epoxied to strengthen it but I am afraid that it will completely crack trying to get it out. If you find anything please post!

Old 07-24-2021, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Brunob00
I too am in search of the upper dash panel for my 2008 H2! I can't seem to find any replacement parts for it. ​​​​​​It is the only component in the dash that has issues. ​I have cracks on the left and right side. When I have run into a salvage firm parting out an H2, they never have that particular part... maybe they are all cracked or maybe they break trying to pull them out. It could potentially be epoxied to strengthen it but I am afraid that it will completely crack trying to get it out. If you find anything please post!

My cracks are in the same positions but go outwards instead of forwards.

From replacing this in my Avalanche, it shattered to pieces when I tried to remove it. It wasn’t even cracked to begin with, just broken clips on the bottom.

Old 07-27-2021, 08:23 AM

I submitted a request for Dorman to manufacturer a replacement. But if a long shot but might as well ask. Maybe if enough people ask they’ll go for it.

https://www.dormanproducts.com/pages...?origin=footer

Old 06-17-2024, 05:38 PM

@HellHoof - Quick update... I found an upper dash panel from a parted out 2008 H2. So now I have two - installed with two cracks + a backup with one crack. I found a company that may be able to repair them. If I can get them repaired I may have one that you can use. Let me know if you are still in the market.

Here is the company I found has a 5 month wait time, so will be a bit...https://www.justdashes.com

Old 06-18-2024, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Brunob00
@HellHoof - Quick update... I found an upper dash panel from a parted out 2008 H2. So now I have two - installed with two cracks + a backup with one crack. I found a company that may be able to repair them. If I can get them repaired I may have one that you can use. Let me know if you are still in the market.

Here is the company I found has a 5 month wait time, so will be a bit...https://www.justdashes.com
100% I'm interested. My dash now has a crack on either side and it flaps and rattles like crazy.

Have you gotten a quote? I know 1 other person locally who has an 09 with the same problem. Perhaps we could get a bulk repair going....

Old 06-22-2024, 01:05 PM

Great post, honestly I thought all the plastic cracking issues were resolved when GM went to the 08 interior, I guess not. Might not be a bad thing to pull it and use some of the re-enforcement tricks I used on the 06's door panels

Old 06-24-2024, 12:32 PM

You may want to try your own repairs (seems you're experienced with the door panels) with some 2 part epoxy (for plastic), some plastic welder and/or 2 part epoxy clay stick. Any or all in appropriate requirement to get it all back together and reinforced from the backside. Then on any topside blemish areas, sand a bit and apply some bondo filler putty. Fine sand, then prime and paint the top side with color of choice using a good made for plastic paint.

Old 06-24-2024, 07:01 PM
Default Panel repair

There are a number of ways to repair cracked H2 Panels, with my 06 I found the previous owner used the heated metal repair bans which did hold the panels together but did not stop the cracks from getting worse. Drilled the end of the cracks, and roughing up the panel on the inside then using fiberglass cloth and resin worked out the best and held up nicely. On the outside you can use some JB weld to fill in the cracks and missing pieces. Once finally sanded duplicate the panels buy using a thin coat of JB weld with a pattern sheet that matches the finish of the panel.

To match the panel color I took one of the panels to an automotive paint store and they mixed up a perfect match. I then primered and painted the panels. Once re-installed you could never tell and never had any problems with a repaired panel again. I did try various auto recyclers and the H2 panels they had were just not cost effective and most of them were even worse them mine.

I must say I was really surprised to see the 08/09 panel failures but looking at them should not be a major issue to fix. I think it might be more of a sun issue deteriorating the panel then plastic used on the pre-08's This was a panel that was really messed up that was re-finished. Just the fun of owning an H2 lol

Old 07-21-2024, 03:13 PM

The 08-09 interiors only have issues with this one single dash piece. It's a common failure of all 07-14 GM full size. The other 07-14 GMs have more dash cracking issues than the H2 does luckily. The door panels are much better and don't have the same rattles and cracking issues as the 03-07. The cargo area trim is a mix of new and old, but I believe is mostly problem-free.

Quick Reply: Cracked Upper Dash (08-09)