Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

cowl removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2021, 10:47 AM
Default cowl removal

After fixing all the roof leaks, I still have water leaking in the passenger side floor. I found a video on internet, that I can't find now, that showed removing the cowl to seal an access panel that covers the blower ac box. How do I remove the cowl? I'm sure there are clips that will shatter. Are the clips reusable if they don't break? Is there a better way to do this with minimal carnage?

Old 05-20-2021, 11:01 AM

Couple of clips that you can see along the edge but the hood. Remove end caps by pulling them straight up. Could of bolts under those to remove. Remove wipers. Then pull cowl up. Clips are way under in the middle in places. Somewhat terrifying to pull it loose but I've had mine off a couple of times without incident and nothing broke. I'll see if I can find a couple of pics.

Probably can google H2 cowl panel and see some of a removed panel to get a better idea of where the clips are. They are reusable. The one pic I did take I made circles to show where the clips are (also shows the fresh air intake access cover in place)... The second pic shows the screen I made for the fresh air intake.

Couple of pointers. There is a cover over the fresh air intake above the hvac blower - on mine the rubber seal around the edge of that plastic cover was degraded pretty bad which can also allow water to drip into the air intake. Seal that when you put it back on. If you have a sunroof the passenger front drain comes out in the cowl area just above the fresh air intake opening. There was actually a Tech bulletin that stated basically to put an elbow on the end of that or something as in some scenarios it can allow water draining from the sunroof to go into the fresh air intake. I used an right angle old spark plug boot and glued it onto the end of the tube. I also made a screen for my fresh air intake which I made from some aluminum screen material cut and bent to fit and secured with gorilla tape. I was surprised at how many leaves and other stuff gets into the cowl area.

Last edited by MixManSC; 05-20-2021 at 11:16 AM.
Old 05-20-2021, 11:57 AM

Excellent, thanks. So how is the blower cover attached? is it a rubber gasket with tape? How did you reseal? The video I watched showed flex tape over the whole thing. I have some double sided emblem tape, that is wickedly sticky. Or maybe silicone or butyl tape. I don't have a sunroof. The cover appears to clip into the lower part. New ones are available but they don't appear to include a gasket.

Last edited by fastNYsix; 05-20-2021 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-20-2021, 03:57 PM

The gasket is part of it. It just has a molded rubber edge that sort of locks into the hole. I used some black RTV silicone I had to re-seal mine when I was done....