Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Considering H2

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 10:36 AM
Default Considering H2

Hey guys/gals

I'm a young guy and considering an H2.
The one I'm looking at is a single owner, clean carfax 2003 H2 with 150K miles.

I have a few questions.
1) are there any reliability concerns with a vehicle with this many miles?
2) is there anything I should check up on before purchase?
3) What would you think is a fair price?
4) are the repair costs normal or excessive?

Old 09-09-2015, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

The H2 is a great vehicle. At 150K miles you would want to check out or have any vehicle checked out. Main concern is that all scheduled services were current and that there is a good service history on the vehicle. If you can't do it yourself have the vehicle checked by a trusted source. Parts are not that difficult to find and H2s are highly reliable if vehicles. If this truck is currently in good shape you should have a great experience with it.

Old 09-09-2015, 01:54 PM

1. As 3hummers said, any vehicle with 150k miles should be checked out. Depending on the previous owner, you may have very little wear or a ton. Keep in mind that the engine most likely has spent at the very least, half of it's engine life. An engine overhaul isn't going to be very costly compared to a new vehicle. Everything is a trade off. Even adding in a new power train is going to be cheaper than a new, comparable SUV (Yukon, Suburban, etc).

2. Hummers, in general, are very reliable vehicles. That doesn't mean there aren't lemons, but I think there's few than other models of vehicles.

3. Depends on a few factors. How far are you willing to go to see a vehicle? How good are you at bringing the price down. Are you trading in anything? I see a 2003 H2 with just under 150k miles for $10k. That's super cheap. It makes me wonder if there's anything wrong with it or if their area has no market for hummers. Seems like the normal range is 13k to 18K. I find really anything over 15k to be high at that mileage & even then, I'd be iffy. Maybe if it was a mall crawler, never saw dirt & just lacks wear. That's not a bad vehicle to consider.

4. Hummers have some specific parts (dash, grills, etc), but power train, suspension & steering components are shared with the 1500 & HD series trucks. Almost any mod that can be done to the 2500HDs can be done to an H2. I've never worked on a vehicle before servicing/upgrading parts on my H2 & H3 & both are fairly easy to work on. You can save a lot of cash doing minimal fixes & oil changes. Ask for quotes on 2003 2500HDs to get a ball park of the cost of work. A lot of garages will up the labor costs because they think most people who own hummers have money to burn. Other than this, they are excessively cheaper to maintain than a lot of newer vehicles w/ computer issues or EU built vehicles.

Old 09-09-2015, 03:17 PM

They are pretty durable vehicles. Main thing to worry about in the 03-07's is the tranny. They are pretty pathetic. Aside from that no worries really. Avoid vehicles where the inside is trashed out. If someone will allow the interior to be destroyed no telling what they did to the powertrain/suspension.

Like synthetic said, powertrain and supsension are basic GM parts. Pretty easy to find and replace. Take really good care of the Hummer specific stuff. Getting hard to find.

Old 09-09-2015, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by ryaleon
They are pretty durable vehicles. Main thing to worry about in the 03-07's is the tranny. They are pretty pathetic. Aside from that no worries really. Avoid vehicles where the inside is trashed out. If someone will allow the interior to be destroyed no telling what they did to the powertrain/suspension.

Like synthetic said, powertrain and supsension are basic GM parts. Pretty easy to find and replace. Take really good care of the Hummer specific stuff. Getting hard to find.
In bold...
You speak the truth! I saw some any trashed hummers. I have no clue why people feel it's acceptable to ruin a perfectly good vehicle.

Yeah, the 4L60/4L65 is pretty pathetic. As everyone says, it should have had a diesel & allison tranny.

It is possible to install a 6.2L w/ the 6l80, I believe, but I have no clue how to do it. If they can put the LMM duramax on a 2003, they can put the 6.2L as well.