Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Coil spring retainers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2021, 03:28 PM
Default Coil spring retainers?

Was there any sort of coil spring retainer clips on OEM Hummer H2’s with coil springs? FabTech said none with their kit. Just the insulators.

Old 01-23-2021, 05:25 AM

I got your reply and pics on your conversion. Looks good. What state are you located in, if you don't mine me asking? Did you need the coil spring retainers?

Old 01-23-2021, 09:04 AM

I’m in Oklahoma. I was just curious if the Hummers with OEM rear coil suspensions came with any sort of retainer or not. I couldn’t find anything showing there was. I’ve never had any coil suspensions without them in the past (all Jeep).

Old 01-25-2021, 12:04 PM

To the best of my knowledge no - I didn’t install anything other than the isolators when installing my springs. The shocks should prevent the coils from going anywhere.

Old 01-26-2021, 03:02 AM

My kit didn't come with any either and just what I thought, the pass side slipped off a few days after installing. I had the air suspension. So it rubs on the sleeve at times. I don't understand why these kits don't come with something to hold them in the center. Now, I'm thinking about putting the airbags back on though. I bought a pair of airbags first then changed my mind and bought springs because I didn't want to worry about them deflating ever again. But now I don't know. Air leveling is nice too. And it's not that hard to replace them even if I had to do it every 3 or 4 years.

Old 01-26-2021, 07:26 AM

What was your driving condition and speeds like when it slipped off? Was yours the FabTech 6” springs and did you have the driver and passenger coils on the correct sides with closer compression coils towards the axle?

Old 01-26-2021, 08:03 AM

I don’t understand how it’s possible for it to slip off?

if your installing the springs on the correct side (LH is different than RH) installing them in the correct up-down position and bringing the weight back down onto the springs I don’t possibly see any way for the springs to come off.

There’s a lot of weight and tension on the springs and even flexing my axle without the sway bar I’ve never been close to dislodging the spring.

Old 01-26-2021, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by 50Beowulf
What was your driving condition and speeds like when it slipped off? Was yours the FabTech 6” springs and did you have the driver and passenger coils on the correct sides with closer compression coils towards the axle?
Wasn't fabtech, but yeah same thing most likely, ordered this one off
Amazon Amazon
. Slipped off just driving around town. It rubs now on the sleeve when going thru steep drive ways. I need to jack it back up and recenter. No, the springs are exactly the same, I checked no difference between left and right and there is no indication of left and right on the springs. I put the coarser part of the spring up, that is the correct (safest) way. You want the most movement happening lower on the vehicle for better stability. I know some places they say to put the coarser sides down but I gave that a lot of thought and that's just wrong. And they will fit fine either way. Yes they can slip off because there is nothing holding the spring into the center. See pics, (I duct-taped the rubber isolators so they won't move for awhile). But the air suspension is designed for airbags. Those slots so they can twist in place and they won't move. Going to coil springs there is nothing to hold them in place. I thought about wielding up some brackets to go on top or some tabs in the center to keep them in place. The first image is before, the second image after it slipped off.

Last edited by bad_runner; 01-26-2021 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-28-2021, 06:18 PM

Look here - https://nemigaparts.com/cat_spares/e...n/07/tn07-005/

You have part # 13 right? Those insulators are also retainers to an extent. The center part of those sticks up about a half an inch and the insulator itself also has some thickness (I think it is maybe 1/4" but when you have that on top and bottom missing the springs end up being about a half an inch too short). The springs need those.

Old 01-28-2021, 08:04 PM

Those are different isolators than what my kit had. They were just flat and 1/8" thick like a washer. Their only purpose was to prevent noise, not keep the spring in place. There is a slight flange on the circular part in the middle of that cylinder sleeve but it is not enough to keep the springs centered. But the springs won't ever come completely out as you can see in the second pic because of the sleeve. I don't need that style for the bottom at least. I left the stock bump on and that works great plus the new rubber isolator. The top, it might help. I'd have to see an actual picture of the isolator first, I can't tell by that diagram.

Quick Reply: Coil spring retainers?