Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Coil Kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2024, 10:45 AM
Default Coil Kit

Hey All,
Please help. My baby, 2006 H2 wheel buttons working intermittently. Cool new garage fixed some other issues for me, but said the steering buttons problem was most likely the Coil Kit Part # 26095673. It's discontinued so need to find someone parting out, or has a secret stash! Or other suggestions! Thanks so much, trying to keep my baby in tip top. Only done 150k miles from new, so all good, but a few things troubling me. Thanks guys

Old 05-20-2024, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

Ebay, car-part.com, local pick n pull salvage yard....

Old 05-20-2024, 06:02 PM

The garage may be correct, can't find an actual image of it but it looks to be mounted on the back of the steering wheel which may need to be removed to access (nut in the middle)

Before you reach that point and given you said "buttons" plural, this suggests a problem in the common ground feed which originates from ground terminal GND 2000 (Near Left Kick Panel) it would be worth checking this isn't corroded or loose, the other common factor is the Instrument Cluster itself.

Check each switch in turn at the Cluster connector and make sure it connects to ground (less than 1ohm) if all the switches are OK then its a cluster fault (1st disconnect the battery or unplug the cluster)

If the switches show high resistance, pull out a single switch and measure the resistance to the ground of the black wire. If this is high or intermittent as you turn the wheel it would indeed suggest a problem with the Coil or​​​​ there could be a loose connector behind the airbag inside the wheel.

If you conclude it is the Coil perhaps it could be removed and inspected and possible cleaned with IPA

The attached pdf may prove helpful ...

For safety disconnect the battery before unplugging the airbag!

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
H2 Steering.pdf (510.6 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by oceanbrave; 05-21-2024 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-21-2024, 03:42 PM

The coil is more commonly called a clock spring. If all are not working I'd first do as oceanbrave said and verify a couple of connections first. There is a long thin flexible circuit inside and sometimes the frequent flexing can indeed cause one of the "wires" inside to break or have intermittent contact but that generally will only affect a single function unless it happens to be the common ground. Another more common failure though, is if for some reason someone had disconnected the steering shaft or steering gear to repair something and then for some odd reason turned the steering wheel too far while it was apart (with either of those disconnected the steering wheel can just turn forever but the clock spring cannot...).

Your H2 can also use one from the same year Silverado, Tahoe, Suburban, Escalade, Yukon.... They have the exact same steering wheel, steering column, and airbag.