Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Catalytic converter cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2023, 05:29 PM

What is this O2 sensor “spacer” you speak of?

Old 06-14-2023, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by finall
What is this O2 sensor “spacer” you speak of?

Non-Foulers have been around for many decades.

Old 06-14-2023, 07:20 PM

Interesting looks like the old Spark plug extender, didn't know it was the same profile as on O2 sensor!

Funny, I see the wheels tuning, I have a feeling many some H2 Cat's are going to get some internal mods, lol

Old 06-14-2023, 07:32 PM

Thanks Hummerz.
So just by installing that spacer on the downstream O2 sensor, that somehow eliminates the O2 sensor from throwing a code even when there is no catalyst charge in the catalytic converter?

1. Does anyone know how exactly that happens, in a chemical sense? Without catalyst, the downstream O2 sensor should be seeing too much O2 (as a result of unburnt fuel) and trip a code, right? How does the spacer "reduce" the amount of O2 that the sensor is seeing? Am I looking at this correctly?

2. Also, does lower back pressure (due to no catalyst) throw a code, or make the engine run WORSE? Engines need a certain amount of back pressure to work correctly.

I would love to yank out the cats. Pollute more per gallon used, but use less gallons. And get more power. Looks like a win to me.

Old 06-14-2023, 08:17 PM
Old 06-14-2023, 08:35 PM

Thanks Hummerz.
So just by installing that spacer on the downstream O2 sensor, that somehow eliminates the O2 sensor from throwing a code even when there is no catalyst charge in the catalytic converter?

1. Does anyone know how exactly that happens, in a chemical sense? Without catalyst, the downstream O2 sensor should be seeing too much O2 (as a result of unburnt fuel) and trip a code, right? How does the spacer "reduce" the amount of O2 that the sensor is seeing? Am I looking at this correctly?

2. Also, does lower back pressure (due to no catalyst) throw a code, or make the engine run WORSE? Engines need a certain amount of back pressure to work correctly.

I would love to yank out the cats. Pollute more per gallon used, but use less gallons. And get more power. Looks like a win to me.

Old 06-14-2023, 11:05 PM

it has a smaller diameter hole on the end that screws into the muffler pipe. same design as a spark non fouler but fits the O2 bung and is long enough to accept the sensor

Old 06-16-2023, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks Hummerz.

1) In the extender the O2 sensor is farther away from the exhaust gas flow so it can't sniff as good.

2) There is still restriction in the muffler/resonator. Restriction did not go to zero and what the engine is looking for and knows can be adjusted with HP Tuners etc...

Old 06-16-2023, 12:51 PM
Unhappy So much for the test pipes,

Years ago you used to be able to purchase a H2 dual cat delete pipe setup for off road and test purposes but no more...

I guess if you still could you and were having problems with clogged cats you could just pull the dual cat assembly, install your delete pipe, install a downstream O2 sensor spacer and you would be good to go (as long as you live where inspections are not necessary)

Old 06-16-2023, 01:04 PM

the 2003 models wont have to do emissions inspection in 5 more years just safety.

Quick Reply: Catalytic converter cleaning