Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Catalytic converter cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2023, 08:41 AM
Default Catalytic converter cleaning

Generally I am a firm believer in the adage "If it ain't broke don't fix it". But we all know when you own an older vehicle there are many things that need to be done to keep it happy, healthy and avoid costly repairs or parts replacements.

Which leads me to the topic of Catalytic Converter cleaning and completing the process close to or around the 100k mark. I have seen a number of Youtubes (including Scotty Kilmers) suggestion the use of Laquer thinner to clean out the buildup that eventually
causes the cats to clog forcing an expensive replacement.

Personally, I have not witnessed this process and really wonder if it truly is a good idea. Some of the guys on some of the other GM forums swear by it and say its a must especially if you have a heavy foot. We all know it takes a lot to get these land sleds we own moving and I imagine their buildup is much more than the standard sedan.

I don't know what is available in the Tech 2 for cat flow rates but I think that might me a good thing to look into at my next oil change. And perhaps some preventative measures considered.

Comments, suggestions and direction always welcome!

Old 06-12-2023, 10:01 AM

i "cleaned out" my cats with a cutoff wheel. i made an inspection window and saw that the honeycomb was pretty plugged up bad.
so the solvent i used to clean it was a large screwdriver and hammer.
the hammer and screwdriver would not fit down the gas tank so i removed the exhaust pipes. once all the plugged ceramic material was cleared then i made sure to vacuum out the remaining plugged material. making sure that my cat could flow efficiently as it should like new or better. some would say as intended!
i then welded my inspection window back and re installed the assembly onto the truck.
to make sure everything worked as it should i installed O2 sensor spacers on the rear O2's to make sure my new oxygen sensors would work extremally efficiently and to not throw efficiency codes for being so efficient.
my average mpg with the drivers side "cleaned" went from 8.6 to 10.
since that seamed to be really efficient i went ahead and cleaned the passenger side.
i am awaiting to see what the mpgs stabilize at .

Old 06-12-2023, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by bronxteck
i "cleaned out" my cats with a cutoff wheel. i made an inspection window and saw that the honeycomb was pretty plugged up bad.
so the solvent i used to clean it was a large screwdriver and hammer.
the hammer and screwdriver would not fit down the gas tank so i removed the exhaust pipes. once all the plugged ceramic material was cleared then i made sure to vacuum out the remaining plugged material. making sure that my cat could flow efficiently as it should like new or better. some would say as intended!
i then welded my inspection window back and re installed the assembly onto the truck.
to make sure everything worked as it should i installed O2 sensor spacers on the rear O2's to make sure my new oxygen sensors would work extremally efficiently and to not throw efficiency codes for being so efficient.
my average mpg with the drivers side "cleaned" went from 8.6 to 10.
since that seamed to be really efficient i went ahead and cleaned the passenger side.
i am awaiting to see what the mpgs stabilize at .

Wow, really surprised to hear you got away with gutting the cat like that, love it!

Old 06-12-2023, 03:32 PM

I love that cleaning "solution" you used. I used the same without the inspection window. I "told" my computer all is good with it and I'm at 11-12ish mpgs and my CEL seems to agree.

Old 06-12-2023, 03:37 PM

what do you mean? i just cleaned it. i removed the obstructions from it so it would work. now it is nice and clean. they are still factory just a bit lighter. thats probably why my mpg's went up. all that extra weight.

Old 06-12-2023, 06:50 PM

Bronxteck, I thought the computer would have a **** fit is the cat were hollowed out inside. I know many who have put in dummy pipes to replace the cats in GM vehicles just to end up with CEL light. That slick spacer seems to really make the difference.

Talk about thinking outside the box, I love it!

Old 06-12-2023, 08:39 PM

what do you mean? i just cleaned it. i removed the obstructions from it so it would work. now it is nice and clean. they are still factory just a bit lighter. thats probably why my mpg's went up. all that extra weight.
The rhodium, palladium and platinum inside is valuable, rhodium can go for $20,000 per ounce, palladium costs nearly $3,000 per ounce, and platinum costs about $1,128 per ounce.

Old 06-12-2023, 09:15 PM

For "some reason" my computer doesn't "look" for the downstream 02 sensors at all.

Old 06-13-2023, 09:32 AM

yes hummerz i know. it did not go into the trash. it is in a sealed container. what to do with it idk maybe ill drive around with it or take it to the movies. sit on a park bench on a cool summer night and pet it.

Old 06-13-2023, 05:47 PM

yes hummerz i know. it did not go into the trash. it is in a sealed container. what to do with it idk maybe ill drive around with it or take it to the movies. sit on a park bench on a cool summer night and pet it.
No wine and dine

Quick Reply: Catalytic converter cleaning