Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Bought hummer H2 2003 many issues please help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2020, 10:36 AM

Triple agree, unless you are legit looking for a project vehicle. If it's your daily you could end up in a bad situation for sure, rarely have I set to work on mine and it been a quick fix, usually it is down until I can locate parts or figure out a way to engineer it myself. Search these forums heavily and you will come across posts about the things you should try to take care of right away and things you wish you never have to deal with.

Old 11-19-2020, 11:07 AM

The fuel leak is the filler neck more than likely. The body looks solid, I would save the 2k on the frame to spend elsewhere, like the hood. For living it's whole life in Canada, the undercarriage doesn't look that bad. My 2011 Silverado has more rust than that. Since you are in Canada you should take it to Krown for undercoating. They charge 130ish for application. It's oil based undercoating, not paint. I started using it over 5 years ago and it's awesome stuff. I live in upstate NY, the rust capital of the US. I drive a 99 Lumina for my winter vehicle and there is not one spec of rust anywhere. When I first got the car I had it sprayed every six months for the first couple years to get a nice base, then dropped back to yearly. The krown will help loosen the flaky paint. My friend bought a few year old truck that had ziebart done and it started rotting the frame from inside out. Took it to krown and all the loose crap fell off.
The blown bulbs can be replaced easily if you can solder. With a newer engine and trans, it should be good to go for a long time. And your heated seats are not working because the master window switch is probably faulty. Happened to mine. But like mixman said you need to do some troubleshooting first. If you know someone with an H2 you can swap the master switch to rule it out. The main way you will save money is by doing repairs yourself, we can help you with troubleshooting.

Last edited by fastNYsix; 11-19-2020 at 11:37 AM.
Old 11-19-2020, 05:11 PM

I will agree as the above have stated.... Honestly, if you are "up north" (for that matter anyone north in the salt belt) buy a vehicle from the deep south that has never seen salt... the chassis are still like new with no chassis, fuel line etc corrosion. You can then restore the rest of the vehicle and still have a solid body/frame. The money you will spend (and still never get it right) will be lost.... cut your losses- sell that one and buy one for teens in Florida, Texas, Arizona, Louisiana etc- and then you have a great chassis to work with. I have a house in Pittsburg NH (last town in NH on border of Quebec) My H2 I have at my house in Louisiana will NEVER visit that house- if it isnt salt in the winter its calcium chloride for the dust on dirt roads in summer.... I had a H3 up there.... I know all about the fuel line issues with that one.. lol

My 2006 H2 with 140k on her still has the frame stickers from when it left the factory on the frame! All the cadmium plating is still bright on the bolts and nuts....

Last edited by Chrmer3; 11-19-2020 at 05:13 PM.
Old 11-25-2020, 02:36 AM
Default Thanks for all the great replies!

Hello everyone,

Appreciate all the great replies and tips and tricks. The hummer is not a daily it’s more of a stay in driveway take out once in a while thing, winter will definitely be used to some extent.

in terms of getting the repairs done, hood is getting sanded, and re primed. Cosmetically I know I need to slowly fix exterior and interior issues such as door trims etc.

Taken hummer to two mechanics who have looked it over and say it’s fine, solid hummer. Say it’s mostly surface rust that’s just been painted over and over again so I will this year try the rust proofing oil stuff (Krown).

the leaking of the gas when I top up the hummer still seems to be an issue despite the 1000 fuel pump job, so if someone can help me with that first I would like to get that out of the way.

old owner put 2 alternators, one for the truck and one was supposedly for trailer. However if my hummer sits for a week it tends to drain the battery and not start.

soldering isnr something I can do but will watch YouTube videos and see how I can fix hummers interior panels, and heated seats for winter at least.

thanks again!

Old 11-25-2020, 06:44 AM

The leaking gas is probably from the fuel filler neck. I would start by removing all that after market wiring and alternator. How old is the battery?

Last edited by fastNYsix; 11-25-2020 at 06:47 AM.