Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Bought hummer H2 2003 many issues please help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2020, 12:31 PM
Default Bought hummer H2 2003 many issues please help.

Hello everyone, bought a hummer h2 here in Canada.

Got it with 390,000 km on the ODO but... 40K (370 hrs) km on motor and a new transmission with 18K km.

so far it’s been driven I think 80 km since March.
Already fixed and repaired:
- rear brake lines, rotor,pads, calipers. (1500 at gmc) (Brake lines exploded and leaked all over)

- fuel smell so took to a mechanic he replaced the fuel pump and some straps of some sort. (1000)
- front brakes and rotors (360)
- rear driver side door handle (160)

yet...

still smell gas. Driving it for the first time for a non around the block drive and filling gas my dad believes he saw fuel leaking when he filled up the tank. Today under the truck a small moisture circle on the ground.

rust is fairly ok surface rust but quoted 2K to get it sanded and filled then rust proofed.

lots of little interior things wrong! No heated seats both sides but the electric seats work. Many interior panels missing illumination (the temp control, driver side windows panel etc).

can anyone help me or give me tricks as this is now becoming more and more costly yet haven’t even driven it over a 100 km since buying.

And the CLEAR COAT is coming off!

Old 11-18-2020, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jagnoor Grewal

Start by replacing the am wiring to the dual alternators, with the proper gauge wire & securing properly.

Old 11-18-2020, 01:55 PM

i have never seen a dual alternator setup in an H2. what is the second one being used for?

Old 11-18-2020, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by bronxteck
i have never seen a dual alternator setup in an H2. what is the second one being used for?
Maintain the amps/charge on the auxiliary battery.

Old 11-18-2020, 02:26 PM

Usually the only reason for an extra Alt is if you are running a very large stereo system or a lot of aftermarket lights. Looking at the OPs vehicle i don't see many lights, so i would venture to say an aftermarket stereo system was once installed. You can see the remnants of amp wiring between the battery and the Alts.

Old 11-18-2020, 02:54 PM

Also comes in handy with a 2000w power inverter installed, so the beer stays cold in the fridge.

Old 11-18-2020, 06:53 PM

If it has wheels or breasts it will cause you problems........

Old 11-18-2020, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Chrmer3
If it has wheels or breasts it will cause you problems........
Those rides with breasts cost a helluva lot more.

Old 11-19-2020, 07:33 AM

Cut your loss and sell it now. It looks like a money pit to me that will constantly give you grief.

Old 11-19-2020, 09:44 AM

In some respects I'd have to agree. It has some things going for it but it has a lot that has been neglected and/or done wrong. Rather than treating the rust underneath they simply sprayed right over it. Cannot really say if it is all surface rust if it is hidden an unable to be seen. I'd wager there is likely some more serious rot that is hidden. Up there though, rust from salted roads is a fact of life. On the plus side are the engine and trans. A competent paint and body shop can scuff and re-clear the hood. Interior bits are hard to find, expensive, and even when found they are somewhat brittle and fragile due to the age of the plastic. The button panel lighting can all be repaired but it takes some skills in careful disassembly,
sourcing the correct size and ma (wattage) tiny bulbs and carefully soldering them in. Seat heaters could be the heating elements (have to remove the seat and replace the elements) but could be control problems, corroded connectors (common from water leaking into the interior from the roof lights, sunroof drains, weather stripping, etc), or bad ground.

There is a boatload of various projects and things to deal with on that. A lot easier to find one that is already sorted out but can be rewarding to sort one out yourself though too but costs along with all of the "oh while I have this apart to fix I'll take care of that too" costs can quickly spiral out of control along with the amount of time and effort being spent. You will never recoup those costs or time.

Quick Reply: Bought hummer H2 2003 many issues please help.