Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Blend Door Actuators for AC???

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2020, 07:18 PM
Default Blend Door Actuators for AC???

HELLO!!!! New to the forum - but 178,993 miles deep into my 2008 H2. Although mostly trouble free for 12 years, I am starting to see those little "crap, they designed that HOW??" things.

On the way out (Texas) this morning I blasted my girlfriend on the passenger side with scorching hotness (hot air as well). Drivers side stayed nice and chill.

I have researched for HOURS and seem to find that 2003-2005 seemed to have this issue alot and dashboards were torn to shreds - HOWEVER< I can't seem to locate much on the 2008 in terms of locations for actuators. I KNOW that I have a blend door issue - but I can't seem to locate anything telling me which is which and which is where.

ONLY passenger side has issue getting cold - so clearly the actuator opening and closing that door is stuck/needs reset/broken and needs replaced.

Can anyone offer any insight on WHICH actuator is which? And how to best locate it? Before I tear the whole dash off? I found the one that is sticking out the bottom of the dash ro the right of the center console area. Pulled that one off, and although the actuator doesn't seem to move when I change anything and watch it - I know that it controls hot air/cold air to the drivers side because I can make the door flip from fully open to fully closed.

Any other insight would be GREATLY appreciated. THANK YOU.

Paul

Old 08-23-2020, 07:59 PM

Find a new girlfriend that can handle the heat!

Old 08-24-2020, 02:48 AM
Cool Same problem

Hi Sorry im new to this site and trying to find my way about!!! I have much the same problem as yourself and when contacting a dealer in Scotland he told me to replace the small fan above the drivers side ( above the drivers head ) I replaced this and I still have the same problem ?? I don't seem to have power going to the small fan wondering if you have had this advise ??

Old 08-24-2020, 10:38 PM

[QUOTE=PSmolchek;376789]HELLO!!!! New to the forum - but 178,993 miles deep into my 2008 H2. Although mostly trouble free for 12 years, I am starting to see those little "crap, they designed that HOW??" things.

On the way out (Texas) this morning I blasted my girlfriend on the passenger side with scorching hotness (hot air as well). Drivers side stayed nice and chill.

I have researched for HOURS and seem to find that 2003-2005 seemed to have this issue alot and dashboards were torn to shreds - HOWEVER< I can't seem to locate much on the 2008 in terms of locations for actuators. I KNOW that I have a blend door issue - but I can't seem to locate anything telling me which is which and which is where.

ONLY passenger side has issue getting cold - so clearly the actuator opening and closing that door is stuck/needs reset/broken and needs replaced.

Can anyone offer any insight on WHICH actuator is which? And how to best locate it? Before I tear the whole dash off? I found the one that is sticking out the bottom of the dash ro the right of the center console area. Pulled that one off, and although the actuator doesn't seem to move when I change anything and watch it - I know that it controls hot air/cold air to the drivers side because I can make the door flip from fully open to fully closed.

Any other insight would be GREATLY appreciated. THANK YOU.

1st thing to do is unhook the battery from the negative post, let it sit for 15 minutes and re hook the negative post, before unhooking negative cable, make sure everything is turned off, including the a/c...

This resets the Computer on the H2, now turn on you a/c and push the circulation button, The light will aluminate and you hear the actuator doors close it’ll go in the high speed cool and see if this corrects it, if still not working the blend doors, replace the a/c control module in the dash, I bought mine on eBay with a lifetime free replacement, it comes with instructions to reprogram the controller, if you buy at local auto store, make sure you can return it if it doesn’t cure the issue, I bought mine because my dash lights were out anyway, for $180.00, a deal compared to autozone, Napa ect.

replacing the actuators as a last resort and they’re not cheap to do, if your a DYI, I suggest going to u-tube and see how to do it, and you better rent a car, because it’s going to take a while.....

Good Luck....Rick

Old 08-25-2020, 08:01 AM

The air distribution for both the 03-07 and the 08/09 are nearly identical. The blend doors on both are in the same locations and one is not any more likely to have an actuator fail than the other. Just as they get older the likelihood of one failing increases, as such you will read and hear about older ones failing more than newer ones. The setup is near identical on many full size GM trucks and SUV's as well that have the auto-climate control. I posted some exploded views and diagrams in this thread last week that should help you locate the blend door you are trying to locate.

https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...ng-door-43549/

The GM documents state that the upper temperature one which is for the passenger side can be accessed by removing the passenger side airbag and reaching in through that opening in the dash. See the two attached documents. Good luck. Also - whenever you reset the HVAC, when you first connect power or turn the key on, do NOT touch any controls for 60 seconds as the actuators are all moving their full ranges to recalibrate and you do not want to interrupt anything.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ip2.pdf (628.8 KB, 81 views)
File Type: pdf
ip1.pdf (846.5 KB, 75 views)
Old 08-25-2020, 04:59 PM

Have you had the DTC codes pulled, that will help get you closer to the cause

Neal

Old 08-25-2020, 05:10 PM

this is specific to the 2008 H2, it may also work for other models but I took it from the GM service manual

Try re-calibrating the Actuator, this procedure will force all actuators to re-calibrate
(skip the replacement part)

Alternate Method (w/o Scan Tool)
Clear all DTCs.
Place the ignition switch to the OFF position.
Install the HVAC actuator.
Connect all previously disconnected components.
Remove the HVAC/ECAS fuse for a minimum of 10 seconds.
Install the HVAC/ECAS fuse.
Start the vehicle.
Wait 40 seconds for the HVAC control module to self-calibrate.
Verify that no DTCs have set as current DTCs.

Old 08-25-2020, 05:15 PM

My 08 has done this a couple times and just on the passenger side, I shut the truck off and re-start and it works fine. I'll put my scanner on it if I can get it to do it while I have it with me so I can see what is up

Neal

Old 08-25-2020, 05:52 PM

So i pulled the codes and I have a DTC B0423 Symptom 61, Temperature Control 2 Feedback Circuit Actuator Stuck

Not saying this is whats wrong with yours but the DTC code will get you closer to the issue,

Neal