Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Best brake upgrades under $2500?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2023, 11:25 AM
Default Best brake upgrades under $2500?

Wanting to upgrade my factory brakes, including calipers, rotors and pads.
I also like the cross drilled and slotted look.

Im thinking the Powerstop z36 setup looks promising?!?
anyone using something they love…
I would love to have the Wilwood big brake setup but that’s to rich for my blood!
any feedback is welcome…

Old 04-18-2023, 10:42 PM

I believe I looked into the powerstop brakes a while back, and I just don't think they have enough of a performance benefit to justify them. I would just stay OEM unless you do something crazy like willwoods. I would recommend changing your brake lines if they're old an worn out. The flexible rubber parts to stainless steel braided.

In fact the only difference in the powerstop kit is the slotted rotors and carbon ceramic pads which IMO would actually perform worse during normal driving conditions as there's less contact area and the pads are designed to be most efficient at higher temperatures than you would normally see. The calipers that come in the kit are the same design as OEM. They're just powder-coated red to look cool.

Last edited by Gavin Costigan; 04-18-2023 at 10:46 PM.
Old 04-19-2023, 08:59 AM

I used the Powerstaop brakes on my 96 Z71 which prior to the swap had terrible brakes, after installing the Powerstop setup the brakes were great. I did nothing else other than swap the rotors and pads.

I will add that the pads on my truck were not OEM at that time so don't have a comparison of the Powerstop and OEM.

Neal

Old 04-20-2023, 10:29 AM

I installed the Power Stop K2023-36 Front and Rear Z36 Truck & Tow Brake Kit, Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads and Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors about a year ago on my H2.

I love them. There is much more stopping power, and everything is very quiet and smooth.

Old 04-20-2023, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by zenith
I installed the Power Stop K2023-36 Front and Rear Z36 Truck & Tow Brake Kit, Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads and Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors about a year ago on my H2.

I love them. There is much more stopping power, and everything is very quiet and smooth.
That's interesting. I wonder if the better stopping power is from the powerstop brakes or just the fact that you have new brakes. The pads and rotors might be worth a try, but I wouldn't recommend the calipers since they are the same.

Old 04-20-2023, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Gavin Costigan
That's interesting. I wonder if the better stopping power is from the powerstop brakes or just the fact that you have new brakes. The pads and rotors might be worth a try, but I wouldn't recommend the calipers since they are the same.
My factory rotors were in very good shape, along with the pads. When I replaced them with the powerstops, the difference is there. stopping 7,000 lbs at 50mph is a breeze. I have factory calipers, can't justify spending thousand's on new calipers.

Old 04-23-2023, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by zenith
My factory rotors were in very good shape, along with the pads. When I replaced them with the powerstops, the difference is there. stopping 7,000 lbs at 50mph is a breeze. I have factory calipers, can't justify spending thousand's on new calipers.
Well then... I know what my next set of brakes will be!