Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Bad CV Axle Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2023, 01:02 AM
Default Bad CV Axle Recommendations

Just got back from a trip at the Sarah's Creek trail in North GA. I didn't notice until dinner afterwards but I have a clicking from the passenger side. It happens when turning the wheel stationary, turning while moving, and accelerating and decelerating in a straight line or while turned. It doesn't seem too horrible compared to others, but it is definitely not right. My boots are in good shape inner and outer on both sides, but I definitely had traction control working hard today, so I assume I broke something. Is it likely the CV or a wheel bearing?

Also I know the H3 guys always go oem for their CVs, but I've heard good things about O'reilly's precision brand. It is $130 as opposed to $155+shipping for oem. And it comes with a lifetime warranty.
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c...?q=cv&pos=0#rr

Old 12-24-2023, 02:34 PM

is it a constant click or body flex click? if body check the mounts.

Old 12-25-2023, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by bronxteck
is it a constant click or body flex click? if body check the mounts.
It’s constant. I looked today in the daylight and there are no tears or slop in the cv and that tire is worn significantly more on the outer edge. Jacked up the front and it has a lot of movement that’s clearly in the bearing. I checked the other side too and its the same thing, but its not making noise and the tire is still fine(so far).

I went with moog replacements instead of oem because they were $160 Vs $300 each on rockauto. I figured moog has a good enough reputation and my oem ones are crap anyway so I doubt they’re worse.

if I screwed up by buying moog someone let me know so I can return them. They come Saturday.

Old 12-25-2023, 12:17 PM

some have had early wear on the moogs in the past. usually the go too is timpken wich iswhat oem also used. so idk if quality has improved or got worse on either

Old 12-25-2023, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by bronxteck
some have had early wear on the moogs in the past. usually the go too is timpken wich iswhat oem also used. so idk if quality has improved or got worse on either
Ill try them out. It’s not the worst job to do. I read somewhere that both timpken and moog have have switched around suppliers in the past few years and both are made in China.

Old 12-28-2023, 07:20 PM

Gavin, considering half of the automotive replacement parts you buy today are made in China (including the Delco stuff) I think you made the right choice with Moog. I think their standards are higher then most replacement parts.
Let us know how it works out!

Old 12-28-2023, 08:02 PM

Old 12-29-2023, 11:41 AM

HummerZ considering you posted Cardone for a replacement you must know something the rest of us missed. Are they as good as the original GM ones? It used to be that anything Cardone was junk, I can't tell you how many Cardone rebuilt steering boxes I went through.

It would be nice if things at Cardone have improved so we have another source for GOOD parts.

Old 12-29-2023, 12:53 PM

Well the title does say "bad CV axle recommendations".... lol

Old 12-29-2023, 02:55 PM

Thx for clearing that up MixMan, re-confirms my feeling about Cardone, HummerZ's humor strikes again. lol

Quick Reply: Bad CV Axle Recommendations