Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Anyone know what the positions are shifting the transfer case manually?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2024, 03:58 AM
Default Anyone know what the positions are shifting the transfer case manually?

Hi Guys. My 2003 H2 recently purchased had no encoder motor for the transfer case. I believe the truck was in 4H but only drove it once. I ordered a new motor and the little triangle indent on the motor did not line up with the triangle end on the transfer case rod. I powered up the truck and hit a button and believe it was the 4H button and went under truck again and everything lined up great. The light now lights up on the buttons and the 4H light stays on steadily. When I try the buttons with transmission in neutral the light flashes but never stays steady and light returns to 4H. I'm going to pull the motor back off and put truck in neutral and try to turn the rod to see if the fork is ok inside the transfer case. I imagine there should be 3 positions turning it manually? From left to right maybe 2lock,4lock,4H or?? I searched everywhere even Borg Warner and couldn't find anything. Thank you so much in advance for the help.

Old 06-08-2024, 02:38 PM

you can confirm how many positions by looking at the encoder motor as it cycles through its positions and mark it with a sharpi when it is unbolted from the transfer case.
that might also confirm if it works properly off the transfer case then your issue might be the internal shift fork of the transfer case.