Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Air suspension coil spring conversion thread.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 08:42 PM

im wondering if anyone can help on reprogramming an h2 to get rid of the air suspension stuff?

I have the compressor and everything in my adv still but with the lift, went the air. i get a warning to service air suspension every time i drive it a few times a trip before i clear it and it stays off.

any thoughts?

thanks,
steve

Old 06-22-2013, 11:03 PM

Hello everyone, I just purchased the coil springs for my 2004 H2. I plan on converting the broken air suspension to coil springs. The coils came in the mail yesterday, but didn't come with coil insulators. I have looked online and only found this forum talking about the insulators. I was wondering if they are necessary or just optional?

Old 05-13-2020, 06:27 PM

Hello,
Were the springs you purchased towing rated? I'm having a problem finding the coil springs replacements that you can tow with. Most of my searches point me to
Arnott suspension....they have a coil conversion kit but their tech support told me you can not tow with those springs.

Old 05-17-2020, 08:12 PM

There really shouldn’t be any issue with towing, if your really concerned you can look up the GM part numbers and order the factory set along with 4 isolators.

I will say if you do a lot of towing you may want to search for some of the helper springs they make, which are essentially air bags that go inside of the spring that can be manually filled/relieved in order to level the truck. Seeing as the air suspension system will no longer level the truck this may help. Not necessary by any means but a nice feature to have available.

Old 10-09-2020, 10:11 AM
Default Springs to air rid

Hi Everyone!
My question goes the other way. My H2 has springs and I’d like to convert it to air (all 4 corners) , so it can lower itself to get it.
I’m in a wheelchair ( I agree it’s not the most sensible car for someone in a wheelchair;-) and right now I have a folding solid steel step on the side of the seat which when lowered sits at floor level (cars floor level), so I first get onto that from my wheelchair, and from there I climb onto the seat....
So some air suspension which would lower the car onto the wheels, would mean I could climb from the wheelchair onto the seat direct, making life easier.
Al thoughts would be much appreciated!
Thanks!

Old 10-09-2020, 10:52 AM

There is no off the shelf solution to do that to an H2 that I know of (and I have actually looked for a full air suspension for one before). That would have to be done as a full custom fabricated system. I'm sure it can be done but it will not be cheap since a large amount of it would have to be custom made. Actual air springs and electronic controls are readily available but everything else for mounting it, assuring it is safe, etc would all have to be custom made.

Old 10-09-2020, 11:09 AM

Thanks for your reply.
I’ve seen a kit for a Land Rover Defender for 4-6k, so I suppose that’s what I would have to pay!
As my option is either getting a Jeep JL o having my H2 stripped, and rebuilt with a Duramax, I’ll have that cost in mind.
Again, thanks!

Originally Posted by MixManSC
There is no off the shelf solution to do that to an H2 that I know of (and I have actually looked for a full air suspension for one before). That would have to be done as a full custom fabricated system. I'm sure it can be done but it will not be cheap since a large amount of it would have to be custom made. Actual air springs and electronic controls are readily available but everything else for mounting it, assuring it is safe, etc would all have to be custom made.

Old 10-09-2020, 08:14 PM

the front uses torsion bars. they would have to be removed and custom airbag brackets be built to the control arms.

Old 10-11-2020, 07:52 AM

Same as Defender, I think.
Thanks

Old 10-20-2020, 10:31 PM

I converted mine to springs earlier this year but the right side slipped off center. Is there anything other than gravity that holds the springs in place? That side now rubs against the sleeve when bouncing enough. It won't come out but it is annoying. I was thinking about welding some brackets to them so they can't move. Unless there's a part out there that could go in the top and prevent it from moving. I don't know if something like that is made.

Quick Reply: Air suspension coil spring conversion thread.