Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Air bag module SDM not communicating...How do i know if module is dead??

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2020, 04:52 PM
mcu
Default Air bag module SDM not communicating...How do i know if module is dead??

So my airbag light was on...connected scanner and scanner could not communicate with air bag module. Got errors u1000 and u1088. removed seat because i needed to fix my heater pad (got that fixed! ) and then went on to my next issue. Lift the carpet and the air bag module is white as if powdered sugar was dropped on it.

Got connector off and pins seem clean. I am thinking unit died because of corrosion, but as i started to look around more, I noticed the seat cover was changed also, so makes be think there might of been an accident? I just bought this truck a month ago so not much info.

How do i make sure the SDM (air bag module) is really bad before i dish out $500+ to order a new one plus possibly reprogram (not sure if I can program with my tech2)? As i understand, none of my airbags will deploy in case of an accident, right?

Old 08-28-2020, 05:11 PM

Did you get a carfax run when you bought it? That looks like it was wet, very very wet, for quite some time.

Old 08-28-2020, 05:28 PM

that definitely has seen its share of water leaks.

Old 08-28-2020, 06:33 PM

You have been busy with your truck, fuel pump, brake lines and now this, hope you're going to treasure and keep it after all this investment

BTW was the private document I sent to you regarding brake-line changing/installation of any use? Some or any feedback would be very much appreciated - thank you.

Also what year is your hummer?

Regarding the air bag module is this the "Inflatable Restraint Sensing/Diagnostic Module" which appears on the system wiring diagram, I assume it is.

Have to admit I have no direct experience with that particular module, but I have studied other modules in great depth and watched videos on the your module, so I have a couple of suggestions:-
  1. The module seems well sealed ("potted") so its unlikely that water has ingressed inside. The connector pins may be "tracking" i.e. water + contaminant deposits may be affetcting the signals. My suggestion is to clean the connector with IPA (not silicon grease or WD40) or a good non-oily electrical contact cleaner, to wash away any deposits. Perhaps use a "cotton-bud" or spatula inbetween the pins.
  2. If its like the Air Suspension Module, a similar module (not sure if its 15814448 or 19115398) should work without programming (though you may need a scanner to recognise the new module) I've seen these module for as little as $275 new
  3. If you have access to an oscilloscope check to see if you have COMMS signals, power and ground to the connector just in case the fault is elsewhere. For example it could be missing a ground link or the 15A fuse under the hood (SIR Fuse)
That's the best I can offer.

Old 08-28-2020, 06:37 PM

Just looking, this one on eBay looks just like yours (just as an example)

I'd be tempted to check the fuse 1st, the water spill could have blown it!

Old 08-28-2020, 07:57 PM

whatever you do DO NOT TURN THAT MODULE OVER while the module and battery are connected and the airbag system reserve power has not depleted.
you will definitely have a hell of a surprise otherwise when every single one of the airbags blow!!! (due to the embedded rollover sensor).
if you replace the module bolt the new replacement one down in its location under the seat before connecting anything to it.

Old 08-28-2020, 08:38 PM
mcu

It’s a 2007 one owner...clean carfax and auto check. The car is from Canada with very salty roads. I don’t see any signs of water damage besides around the drivers floor. Maybe a sunroof drain? Not sure if it is there or not.

i disconnect the battery Everytime i deal with airbags just to be sure. I did turn it over to clean it but was disconnected.

i checked fuse and seems ok....unless there is a second one somewhere.

i saw one on eBay for $350 but then an exact same looking one for Gm truck is $50 but part number is different. Those are not interchangeable right?

Old 08-28-2020, 08:50 PM
mcu

Originally Posted by oceanbrave
You have been busy with your truck, fuel pump, brake lines and now this, hope you're going to treasure and keep it after all this investment

BTW was the private document I sent to you regarding brake-line changing/installation of any use? Some or any feedback would be very much appreciated - thank you.

Also what year is your hummer?

Regarding the air bag module is this the "Inflatable Restraint Sensing/Diagnostic Module" which appears on the system wiring diagram, I assume it is.

Have to admit I have no direct experience with that particular module, but I have studied other modules in great depth and watched videos on the your module, so I have a couple of suggestions:-
  1. The module seems well sealed ("potted") so its unlikely that water has ingressed inside. The connector pins may be "tracking" i.e. water + contaminant deposits may be affetcting the signals. My suggestion is to clean the connector with IPA (not silicon grease or WD40) or a good non-oily electrical contact cleaner, to wash away any deposits. Perhaps use a "cotton-bud" or spatula inbetween the pins.
  2. If its like the Air Suspension Module, a similar module (not sure if its 15814448 or 19115398) should work without programming (though you may need a scanner to recognise the new module) I've seen these module for as little as $275 new
  3. If you have access to an oscilloscope check to see if you have COMMS signals, power and ground to the connector just in case the fault is elsewhere. For example it could be missing a ground link or the 15A fuse under the hood (SIR Fuse)
That's the best I can offer.
Hey oceanbrave, the document was very helpful and greatly appreciated. I have to admit I didn’t follow it page by page but I briefly reviewed it while waiting for my order to come and it prepared me. Once I ha e fixed the few things I have left in this hummer, I can go through it all and see if anything was different for me or steps I had or didn’t have to do.

As for the Airbag issue, what ground link exactly? I am trying to figure out what that is exactly

Last edited by mcu; 08-28-2020 at 09:59 PM.
Old 08-29-2020, 06:55 AM

bronxteck that's extremely important, thank you!

mcu any information would be much appreciated, I'll also add the point about removing the fuel tank, which could be a good move.

The document was indeed only intended as a guide and record of the key stages, was your ABS Module was in better shape than mine?

Your H2 is likely to be CAN Bus but I have no details of how that propogates around the vehicle eg Class 2 Serial splice packs etc, all I have is a 2004 wiring diagram which may be similar.

Hopefully the attachment is relevant and the correct module? If so, you can see the ground point G304 I was refering to.

I would imagine you'll need to exactly match the P/Nos

Was this link no good? I didn't drill down all the links to check.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
AirBagModule.pdf (302.2 KB, 167 views)
Old 06-05-2023, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by mcu
So my airbag light was on...connected scanner and scanner could not communicate with air bag module. Got errors u1000 and u1088. removed seat because i needed to fix my heater pad (got that fixed! ) and then went on to my next issue. Lift the carpet and the air bag module is white as if powdered sugar was dropped on it.
I am in the exact same situation. Did you ever get this resolved?

Quick Reply: Air bag module SDM not communicating...How do i know if module is dead??