Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Aftermarket lights to replace the round DRL lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2020, 03:04 PM

Anything you put in a stock reflector housing will seem brighter but will also be blinding the crap out of everyone else on the road. Period.

The vast majority of LED's being made to fit in headlight sockets designed for halogen bulbs should be outlawed in my opinion. Same with sticking re-based HID bulbs in reflector housings not designed for them. There is no such thing as an HID capsule factory made to fit on a 9006, H1, or whatever halogen bulb base style. The only HID bulbs made for road legal car and truck headlights are just a few types. Sticking them in reflector housings made for halogen bulbs creates a ton of glare for other drivers. Another phenomenon most all will encounter, as you get older, glare gets worse and worse. Just driving in a city or urban area at night anymore I just about get a headache from all the glare of everyone with hyper white blinding LED's in their headlights.

Sorry but I cannot and will not endorse either of those options. HID's need to be in projector housings that have a proper cutoff and LED's need to be in housings made for LED's. There are a few occasions where LED's do work good as halogen replacements but in general, they are terrible about creating stray light glare for everyone else. If you do go with LED's that stick in halogen housings at least get Morimoto 2 Stroke, Diode Dynamics, GTR (from the retrofit source), and I've head that Hikari on Amazon are also decent. What makes them good is they are truly adjustable (once installed, you can then rotate the back of the assembly while observing glare and stray light on a wall to minimize that) and well known brands that are not making junk. They still often need to be aimed way down to not be blinding other drivers. If you have other drivers flash their brights at you more than once in a few weeks, you are probably blinding everyone.

The headlights I have are very very good with a very sharp cutoff line just like any decent HID's will have. When I do encounter idiots blinding me, I will hit the high beams and the Hella 4000X's and make it looks like the sun is shining on the front of their vehicle.

Old 07-26-2020, 06:50 PM

I would agree that sticking an hid or led bulb in a halogen housing is a bad idea. I converted my old car to hid using the cheap projectors on amazon. I used 55 watt, they are insanely bright on high beam and don’t blind oncoming traffic on low beams. It took some work to get them mounted however. These cheap projectors are not as good as an oem unit though. The bulb retainer could be better, I had to mess with them to get the hot spot aligned correctly with the cut off shield. They’re not bad for under 100 bucks.

Old 07-27-2020, 07:50 PM

Nice looking retrofit fast!

Quick update.... the module from Amazon works perfect. I made some notes and took a few photos. I will do a writeup and post it in the next few days with wiring details etc.

Old 07-27-2020, 11:38 PM

Awesome!!! I definitely look forward to your write up and pictures....so I assume the factory switch worked like normal with the latching relay and bigger relay in tandem? Can't wait to see it. Also, I looked at some of the the lights you suggested paying close attention to being able to control beam pattern and cutoff. We also have a local shop here that claims these bulbs can do that as well and they have the entire headlight and foglight matching 6000K matching set...here it is...I've never heard of this brand...let me know your thoughts (see link below). My HIDs just went out and I'm just looking for a temporary fix other than going back to halogen. I'm really trying to stay stock until I attempt installing those new Mopar OEM Jeep LED reflectors on my h2...

https://www.amazon.com/Stattus-Conversion-Multicore-Headlight-Shipping/dp/B07QLPQ5DF/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=stattus+9007&qid=1595908287&s=automotive&sr=1-1 https://www.amazon.com/Stattus-Conversion-Multicore-Headlight-Shipping/dp/B07QLPQ5DF/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=stattus+9007&qid=1595908287&s=automotive&sr=1-1

Old 07-28-2020, 07:31 AM

I'd not bother with led lights that have zero feedback and reviews or very low feedback/reviews. The brands I mentioned are proven to be very good and adjustable.

Yes with the module I ordered from Amazon the factory fog light button just works.

Old 07-28-2020, 09:45 AM

Thanks, they were a lot of work to get in. They barely fit.

Old 07-28-2020, 10:06 AM

Okay - see the attached for the wiring for using a factory SUV rear wiper/fog light switch along with the module from Amazon. It is actually quite simple. Also - for pulling a single wire from inside to the underhood fusebox, I poke (CAREFULLY to be sure you do not hit any wires) a coat hanger from the inside through the upper part of the stock wiring grommet, tape the wire to it from under the hood and pull it back inside. Note - tape it well and spray some glass cleaner or soap solution around where it will go through the grommet back inside or the wire and tape will probably just pull off the hangar.... I also remove the corner fender brace there to make it easier to get at and you need that off anyways to remove the larger shroud from the undehood fusebox in order to add wires to that fusebox.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
FogSwitchWiring.pdf (228.3 KB, 139 views)
Old 07-29-2020, 10:45 AM

Great write up. Ordered the latching relay. I got a pigtail from the junkyard sometime back. Just need to put my hand on it. Last time I attempted this, I actually had to purchase a relay to put in the fuse box spot for fog lights. Are there any specific other issues you can think of that may be pertinent to an 06 H2?

Old 07-29-2020, 11:32 AM

Not that I can think of. Other than a few minor things (like global windows) the 06 is basically identical to my 03. Electrically that part should be the same. I cannot remember for certain if mine already had the fog light fuse and relay in the underhood fuse box but I'm pretty sure it did. I just had to add the two terminals/wires to that and the three terminals/wires to the plug in the dash.

Old 07-29-2020, 11:42 AM

How long did it take you and are there any fire hazards I need to be particularly careful of?

Quick Reply: Aftermarket lights to replace the round DRL lights