Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Aftermarket lights to replace the round DRL lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2021, 08:15 AM

I'd think to get much throw from the factory DRL housings that they would need a bulb shield inside to direct the light back into the reflector. Even then I'm not sure that they would work very well since the reflector bowl was not designed for it. For actual real driving or fog lights (that you can leave on and not blind other drivers) you would need to find a fairly high end light that is specifically made for long throw in a proper wide and very low beam pattern that cuts off under the headlight pattern as the intention is to extend the low and wide reach of the light (but not right in front/close to the vehicle as that actually hurts more than helps visibility).

Of course if you are just looking for lights to look cool then you might not care about actual usefulness or other drivers....

I have a pair of Hella Rallye 4000x LED lights on the brush guard which Hella states are driving lights but the beam pattern has way too much scatter/glare up high to actually leave them on as they blind everyone else on the road. They are truly amazing though and project a super long ways down the road. I have those tied in with a manual switch and also into my high beams. The specific lights I replaced the DRL's with do project a nice ways down the road and I can use those but they are not as useful as I'd like. I live in the country and we get a lot of fog so I did put yellow laminx on them to help with visibility in fog. They do help. They have 3 functions - DRL which is the halo somewhat dim, the halo very bright (cannot have that on at night as the halo causes too much glare for other drivers), and the driving light function. I do not use the bright halo mode at all. With the yellow laminx film I do have yellow DRL's (low mode of the halo's). Ultimately they work okay but I'm actually considering getting a pair of Diode Dynamics Stage Series 3 yellow fogs to replace the ones I have. I'll lose the DRL (I'd probably add a couple of tiny LED's somewhere for those). The Diode Dynamics lights are truly amazing (find some reviews on them) with a perfect beam pattern but they are not cheap. https://www.diodedynamics.com/lighting/fog-lamps.html The FT ones have a 4.8" diameter mounting plate which is actually near a perfect size to fill the hole where our comically gigantic DRL's are. While the MAX and Pro ones are stunning they are just out of my budget so I'll probably go with the "Sport" level ones. Then it will be a matter of figuring out a way to mount and aim them. Their site does show good measurements of the various models.

Old 01-21-2021, 09:16 AM

Ok, thanks...any thoughts about the raptor grill lights?

Old 01-21-2021, 09:38 AM

Not really - that is a personal preference I guess. Not something I personally would do.

Old 01-21-2021, 09:41 AM

Ok, as for mounting the foglights, I haven't been under there in a while, but will these fit? Also, not sure the colors will match as they claim their lights are pure white at 5000k but they look more like 6000k to me. Would need to see them next to the new headlights I just ordered.

https://www.diodedynamics.com/luxeon...ps-type-b.html

Last edited by h2kong; 01-21-2021 at 09:47 AM.
Old 01-21-2021, 03:51 PM

I'm not sure how you would mount those. Also no idea on the color temp but I know actual Diode Dynamics brand stuff will be dead on correct for specified color. Those are Luxeon brand which should be good though and if Diode has them, then they will stand by them. This is what the back of the mounting looks like. The stock ones mount from behind. I'm not sure how you would mount some that have tabs on the sides (or the ones with a single bracket on the bottom). In any case it takes some custom work since there is no aftermarket direct replacement.

Old 01-21-2021, 08:22 PM

i think I can fabricate some type of bracket. i'm just concerned about how much light they throw. I'd be disappointed if they didn't throw much more light than what I currently have. I'm really not just into cosmetic stuff. I'm big on functionality. Their 5000k looks a lot like my 6000k. I wish I knew someone who already had them so I could check it out. I just ordered some knew 6000k leds but the look more 5000k from the pics.

I'm also in the process of blacking out everything on the Hummer starting with changing out my side marker lights to smoked out LEDs. Are you still rocking the factory side markers? I've been checking out these:
Amazon Amazon

Also, have you done anything on your electric fans yet? I'll be getting around to doing that soon.

Last edited by h2kong; 01-21-2021 at 08:26 PM.
Old 01-22-2021, 05:33 PM

Yeah, I much prefer 5000k over 6000k. Easier on the eyes and considerably more usable light. Still have the stock side markers - I've even cut a couple of them open to replace diodes in them. I've seen those new line looking ones and I have to admit that the thin line does look pretty nice.

I have all the wiring in place, fans enabled in the tune, and I have the radiator and fans. Still have not had time to mess with them yet though. Moving my sign company and have to be moved by the end of feb but the new building is not quite ready. Still a ton of work in preparation though as we are in right about 10,000SF of space that is quite full.

Old 01-29-2021, 07:27 AM

Ok, cool...I've decided to do the fans myself. What are my options enabling the fans myself? I have just decided to buy whatever scan tool I need to do it myself. I've never tuned or enabled anything ECM, BCM, PCM or ABCDEFGM. Can you tell me precisely my options. I remember some on this thread talking about EFI Live and HP Tuner. I don't knowing anything about any of this stuff, but will teach myself and learn from others on these threads. What are my cheapest options? Can you provide the model number of each of your recommendations starting with the one you use? Also, can you send me a link to the electric fans you are using. These are the ones I've been checking out. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/r...estionsanswers

Thank you kindly.

Last edited by h2kong; 01-29-2021 at 07:38 AM.
Old 01-29-2021, 09:46 AM

I'm not sure that any basic scan tool will have the ability to enable and configure electric fans in the PCM. I think only HPTuners or EFILive has that sort of capability as those two are specifically for PCM tuning and modifying things. Both are also quite expensive.... I cannot swear by it, but I want to think that when I first looked at my PCM configuration on mine that the factory electric fans settings were already enabled (just not functional since none were installed and the control wires not pinned into the PCM). Possible GM left that in on 2003 but took it out later as well. In any case you would need something like EFILive or HPTuners to verify.

Those Dorman fans should be fine but there is also an even stronger 7/9 blade version instead of the 7/7 blade ones TYC 622210 and other have said there is a 9/9 blade version too. You also need to get a factory fan harness from a 05-07 GM truck that came with factory electric fans. I have not seen them post any in a while but a couple of people on performancetrucks regularly were pulling the harnesses and putting them up for sale. https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...arness-556545/ Also if you use a factory GM harness, there is a different underhood fuse box shroud that has an additional small cover in the corner by the cab which is where the electric fans relays/fuses are accessed. The alternate cover is not required though, you could cut a hole in the one you have or just leave them covered (but if serving you have to remove the fender brace and entire fuse box shroud to get at them).

I believe there are also some aftermarket harnesses that work in the same way (series/parallel relay setup) as the factory harness and have the 2 PCM control pins but I've never looked into them. You also have to figure out something for both the transmission cooler and oil cooler lines as they interfere with the electric fans shrouds. You can order lines for a 08/09 H2 and replace them or modify the ones you have. Since I have not had time to finish mine yet I cannot give you any tips on possible modifying although I think I did see someone here on Hummerforums say that they were able to carefully bend theirs some to make them fit.

There are a number of thread on the performancetrucks boards about conversions. Many do mention swapping to a different radiator - not needed on ours as we already have the wider radiator. Some also mention some of the alternative harnesses as well.

Old 01-29-2021, 10:29 AM

The easiest and cheapest way to get your pcm tuned would be to send it to one of the online ls tuners. I've used zzp and lsx power tuning in the past, before I purchased hp tuners. They both have excellent customer service.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket lights to replace the round DRL lights