Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

4L70-E transmission install

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2021, 12:45 PM
Default 4L70-E transmission install

Has anyone put a 4L70E transmission in their stock or no engine mod Hummer, specifically a 02-07 H2 6.0 L. Mine is an 06. I am being told by the GM performance site where I what to buy it that I can and I don’t need the electronic controller P/N 19302405 to do it. Which I m pretty sure I do.

https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/19368612.html

https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/19302405.html

Also the torque converter I need would be the supermatic 2400 to 2800 stall converter with 38 by 13.5 20A tires, correct? They got one thats 2300-2500 and its 800 bucks cheaper. Anybody know the big difference?

https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/c..._By=disp_order

Also I got guy who stated he could rebuilt my bad tranny that’s in it now the 4L65E to have 600 HP, for 5500.

He said I could take pics of all the parts he uses before he rebuilds it. Can I get some suggestions and comments to help with decision, please?

Right now the plan is to put a remanufactured 4L65E in it. But I couldn’t find the 4 digit code on the one they got and are putting in my H2. There is no sticker. I got to go back down and look again. I looked under the wrong end. I got pics and it does have the bolt hole and the postage paperwork states its a 4L65E.

Thanks.

Old 09-24-2021, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

It is all a matter of where you are for trans rebuild rates, but $5500 unless you are going ape crazy on performance parts.

Here in the Detroit area a rebuild w/ 90 day warranty is about $1,900 with all OEM stock parts needed using existing T Converter. So I would say $2000 plus the performance parts you want to add. I would look at the monster transmission site for parts ideas and an example of a no-brainer is their HD sunshell only like $40, etc..... I think you could build what you need for about $4K or less.

Here is a good overview of some choices for example. 4L60E TRANSMISSION MODS THAT YOU CAN COUNT ON

Old 09-25-2021, 08:20 AM

$5500 IS WAY EXPENSIVE. I would ask a local shop to build it, upgrade a few common failure prone parts and go for another 100k miles or more.

Old 09-25-2021, 06:55 PM

All I can say to that is good luck, it not impossible but what a pain. Back when I needed to replace the 4l65 in my 06 I contemplated doing the same thing but after calling around (and getting so many different answers) I changed my mind.
Anyway, here's the short of it, there are a few more sensors (IE for one an input speed sensor) was added to the 4L70 and the 4l65e transmission control module wont know what to do with those signals. I image you could add an aftermarket TCM to get around that but.... here was the other option I considered.

So I figured I would also check out a 4l80 but that's would be even worse even though you end up with the ultimate H2 transmission short of the Allison. Its not easy, here's just a partial list of what is required.
Modified transmission cross member.
Modified/New Driveshafts - Rear shorter - Possibly front longer
4l80e trans - has short output shaft and adapter for transfer case.
New 4l80e torque converter
new Bell housing cover
new Dipstick tube
4L80E flex plate
Crank to flex plate spacer and the longer bolts
Wiring mods to the main transmission connector (though pigtails can be bought and the 4L65 controller will work)
Extra speed sensor connector, wiring and pins to connect to the PCM
32 spline input shaft for the transfer case. (you can swap output shafts in the transmission)
Tune with 4l80e segment swap written to PCM after the swap.
4l80e transmission cooler lines or modify current lines.

So finally after doing some research I found out if you get a GM Goodwrench 4L65, they will specifically match it directly to your VIN, it will come with a 100k 3/Year warranty for parts and labor, these transmission contain the latest upgrades including heavy duty parts the were found to be weak in the original transmissions. And you will be paying much less for it. Not only that this warranty is transferable to the next owner. It cost me under 2K jobber price. The part number was 89037525. I can tell you I was very pleased with it and it didn't break the bank. The new tranny shifted better, felt more positive and ran cooler then the old one. After looking into what was necessary for the 4l70 and 4l80 is was a no brainer going this route.

Old 09-26-2021, 05:41 PM

no transmission shop will normally give 3 year warranty on something the cobble together your at best maybe 90 days so not a bad choice

Old 09-27-2021, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by H2-SUT
All I can say to that is good luck, it not impossible but what a pain. Back when I needed to replace the 4l65 in my 06 I contemplated doing the same thing but after calling around (and getting so many different answers) I changed my mind.
Anyway, here's the short of it, there are a few more sensors (IE for one an input speed sensor) was added to the 4L70 and the 4l65e transmission control module wont know what to do with those signals. I image you could add an aftermarket TCM to get around that but.... here was the other option I considered.

So I figured I would also check out a 4l80 but that's would be even worse even though you end up with the ultimate H2 transmission short of the Allison. Its not easy, here's just a partial list of what is required.
Modified transmission cross member.
Modified/New Driveshafts - Rear shorter - Possibly front longer
4l80e trans - has short output shaft and adapter for transfer case.
New 4l80e torque converter
new Bell housing cover
new Dipstick tube
4L80E flex plate
Crank to flex plate spacer and the longer bolts
Wiring mods to the main transmission connector (though pigtails can be bought and the 4L65 controller will work)
Extra speed sensor connector, wiring and pins to connect to the PCM
32 spline input shaft for the transfer case. (you can swap output shafts in the transmission)
Tune with 4l80e segment swap written to PCM after the swap.
4l80e transmission cooler lines or modify current lines.

So finally after doing some research I found out if you get a GM Goodwrench 4L65, they will specifically match it directly to your VIN, it will come with a 100k 3/Year warranty for parts and labor, these transmission contain the latest upgrades including heavy duty parts the were found to be weak in the original transmissions. And you will be paying much less for it. Not only that this warranty is transferable to the next owner. It cost me under 2K jobber price. The part number was 89037525. I can tell you I was very pleased with it and it didn't break the bank. The new tranny shifted better, felt more positive and ran cooler then the old one. After looking into what was necessary for the 4l70 and 4l80 is was a no brainer going this route.
Thanks for the info H2 SUT. Yea, I figure it wouldn't be that easy, that's why I posted the thread. I talked to the Chevy Performance place I was going to order it from and he doesn't know when there even getting any 4l70e's in. I think he said he has one on back order since last year. So forget that route. Also its states that you need this part, # 190302405, Chevy Performance Automatic Transmission Controller Kit - Pre Programmed For 4l60e, 4l65e, 4l70e transmission and E-67 controller (LS3, LS7 etc). SKU: 19302405. Is that what you're talking about with the TCM?

I looked up the part number you listed and it states 4l60e on GM's parts direct, so I guess its remanufactured to a 4l65e The shop Im going to ordered the 4l65e using my VIN. I got pics and the label on the box states part number T281018 4L65E with my VIN. There telling me it cost 2800, though. It looks beefed up. I got the 100k/3 year warranty too.

Do you know anything about long tube headers and exhausts for our H2's? I am looking to get the Borla exhaust and DynaTech long tube headers. Will the headers set off and any error codes w/cats or without cats? I read other forums and some said they tuned it with Diablo predator. Should I go to a tune shop or use a programmer like the Diablo predator? Thanks again.

Old 09-27-2021, 01:24 PM

You might want to consider ordering the transmission from a local GM dealer, they will ask you for your vin and make sure its an exact match for your H2. Yes these are rebuilt GM Goodwrench transmissions that were originally out of H2 Hummers. They are full reconditioned and have ALL the upgraded parts along with a new converter. Once you make the swap put the old tranny back the in container the replacement came in and take it back to the dealership. If they charged you for a core they will refund the charge. If you have an in with the dealership you are using you may even get a break on the price plus if you have any issues down the road you can show you purchased from that dealership and they will be more likely to want to help you resolve the problem and that dealership will help to resolve the problem with GM directly. Another good reason to support your local GM dealer when you can.

The TCM (Transmission Control Module) actually controls the 4L65 and is different for the 4L70, I am not sure but I believe it lives in the passenger side kick panel below the dash. As far as headers go for the H2 I never consider this considering the exhaust flows well and I think any further loss of back pressure would cause a loss of torque, something the H2 needs badly because of the weight. If your dead set on long tube headers make sure they have bungs installed in them for the 02 sensors. If you remove the cats and dont have the O2 sensors you will throw codes. Probably indicating a rich condition. As far as a tune is concerned, I would have the H2 professional tuned, most of the pro's use HP tuners which can really fine tune your H2 to your configuration including cat removal. Perhaps other members here can give you a better heads up as far as the exhaust configuration would work out best for your. Sounds like you have your work cut out for you!

Old 09-27-2021, 01:31 PM
Smile H2 Trans…

Ironically, I just dropped my H2 2007 178,000. Miles. off for a refurbished trans , 3yr warranty, will be done by weds… $2800.00 …. In NJ
my tire latch broke… just the clip& spring to release the spare … I can’t find anything less than $400. Because it seems all one piece w/ toe hook… a bit crazy price on that.
I have wonders if anyone can help/ suggest…..
My rims ( aluminum) have chipped inside & out, aside from sand blasting , any idea final cost? Replace or repair?
and how much should a exhaust system cost?
Also wondering if anyone registered/ reserved for the NEW HUMMER,Edition 1. ?
on waiting list or reserved the H3x edition & on wait list. & changed your mind please let me know ,

Old 09-27-2021, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by H2-SUT
You might want to consider ordering the transmission from a local GM dealer, they will ask you for your vin and make sure its an exact match for your H2. Yes these are rebuilt GM Goodwrench transmissions that were originally out of H2 Hummers. They are full reconditioned and have ALL the upgraded parts along with a new converter. Once you make the swap put the old tranny back the in container the replacement came in and take it back to the dealership. If they charged you for a core they will refund the charge. If you have an in with the dealership you are using you may even get a break on the price plus if you have any issues down the road you can show you purchased from that dealership and they will be more likely to want to help you resolve the problem and that dealership will help to resolve the problem with GM directly. Another good reason to support your local GM dealer when you can.

The TCM (Transmission Control Module) actually controls the 4L65 and is different for the 4L70, I am not sure but I believe it lives in the passenger side kick panel below the dash. As far as headers go for the H2 I never consider this considering the exhaust flows well and I think any further loss of back pressure would cause a loss of torque, something the H2 needs badly because of the weight. If your dead set on long tube headers make sure they have bungs installed in them for the 02 sensors. If you remove the cats and dont have the O2 sensors you will throw codes. Probably indicating a rich condition. As far as a tune is concerned, I would have the H2 professional tuned, most of the pro's use HP tuners which can really fine tune your H2 to your configuration including cat removal. Perhaps other members here can give you a better heads up as far as the exhaust configuration would work out best for your. Sounds like you have your work cut out for you!
Thanks again for the info.