Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

4 years owned recap

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2020, 04:29 PM
Default 4 years owned recap

Haven't posted consistently in a while, thought I'd give a recap of problems I've had the last 4 years of owning the H2.

Nothing major so far. Wheel bearing, water pump and gasket, battery have been replaced. Transmission seems to be holding up fine although it may or may not be slipping a little has 162k, can't quite tell yet. Engine runs fine as well, no issues except oil leaks from a gasket that needs to be replaced.

Now for annoyances. First, leaks. These rigs leak if you don't put in the proactive repair. Marker lights are the big one, re-caulked all of them front and back. The other massive leak was from the roof seals. Over time, the roof seals just above the doors get dirty and don't route draining water from the roof correctly. It ends up draining directly into the vehicle from the door seals. Easy fix though, take the seals off and clean them well. It's hard to believe such a small thing can cause such big problems.

Electrical issues as well. The rear hatch lock no longer works, the auto locks in back no longer work either. The front locks are sluggish but still working. I ordered the hatch lock part finally and will be putting it in soon.

I've also had weird issues with the climate control not working on occasion, just overall strange electrical issues that seemed to resolve on their own; I believe it was the battery being old and that fix seems to have worked.

I just replaced the fuel pressure sensor from a fault code recommendation, emission codes are not easy to fix. Fingers crossed it did the trick.

Side mirrors don't work either, another electrical issue that I'm not about to spend 450 each to replace.

Parts for this rig are absurdly priced, and or obsolete. I love the rig but keeping it any longer is going to pose problems I think, and I'm not interested in spending crazy amounts of money. I'll probably sell it soon.

Anyhow, it's been far more reliable than I expected. Handles well in the snow of course and is fun to drive. Quirks here and there and as much as I'd love to replace broken or worn parts with new ones, just doesn't make any sense dollar wise.

Last, I never intended to buy an H2. I was looking for years for a good Toyota 4Runner or Landcruiser, just couldn't find one that was priced well and in good condition, go tired of looking. By accident, I saw this H2 at a local dealer, did some research and bought it. All things considered, it's been a good rig minus the annoying issues I've had with it.

Old 10-02-2020, 06:35 PM

yeah same here i was looking at either a 4runner or an fj cruiser maybe even a wrangler but then i test drove the hummer and she followed me home lol. i have definitely had to put in some elbow grease since that happened.last week was motor / transmission mounts and front brakes week before that where the valve cover gaskets power steering pump, lines, hydroboost, all 4 oxygen sensors and lower steering shaft. ah and an oil change

Old 10-03-2020, 09:02 AM

Not too bad if you compare to anything else that was 15 yrs old.

I've had my 05 for 13 yrs and its pushing 180K miles. I've done front hubs, all front suspension, shocks, water pump, 3 batteries, leaky roof once, rear main seal, brakes and rotors, hydro boost, power steering pump and box, valve cover gaskets, knock sensors, etc......all worth every dime. I will never NOT have a Hummer in the stable. I might sell this Hummer one day but only after replacing it with another.

Tim

Old 10-03-2020, 08:38 PM

Put me down as a lifer also. Only vehicle I have ever owned that always makes me smile driving. If I have to spend to replace items from wear or age etc - so be it. Still much cheaper and more fun than a new $60k plus plain Jane common truck etc..this is my 4th and being a southern rust free rig- she will be with me for many years.

Old 10-03-2020, 09:12 PM

All I need is CRC & Blaster.