Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

2008 O2 sensor rewiring

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2022, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
For replacing the PCM they will need to use a Tech2 of GDS, connect it to a computer and set the VIN and any options that might be required. Vehicle is not running for that part. Once that is done then a security relearn is needed for it to be able to start. Once that is done two options -strap the bypass open, start it up and do a crank variation relearn OR first flash the SC tune, then start it and do the crank variation relearn.
Which one do you think would be the better way to go? Strapping open the bypass and starting it, or flashing the tune then starting it?

Old 03-18-2022, 10:43 AM

I doubt it would really make any difference. From the mechanics point of view though, I'd strap it open first and get it fully running and proper with the stock configuration first and foremost. That eliminates any aftermarket tuning/software changes as being in any way problematic. Otherwise if there were to be any sort of problem, they would simply point their finger at the non-factory tuning.

Old 03-18-2022, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
I doubt it would really make any difference. From the mechanics point of view though, I'd strap it open first and get it fully running and proper with the stock configuration first and foremost. That eliminates any aftermarket tuning/software changes as being in any way problematic. Otherwise if there were to be any sort of problem, they would simply point their finger at the non-factory tuning.
Ok. I gave them those instructions. They said they'd try it. Fingers crossed.

Old 03-18-2022, 03:42 PM

Let us know how it goes....

Old 03-19-2022, 04:34 PM

Update: Dealer has been working on it today. They made sure the battery was charged. I gave them the option to do it like a stock truck, or flash the tune then do the crank relearn. Surprisingly they wanted to flash the tune. Unfortunately the sct x4 tuner got stuck at "99% finalizing tune." Have to wait until Monday to see what they want to do.

Old 03-20-2022, 11:22 AM

Any sort of aftermarket electronics like remote start, alarm, stereo? If so pull the fuses for anything like that as some aftermarket electronics use the data lines for controlling and monitoring things like door locks, tach, lighting, etc and can cause issues with programming factory modules.

Could it also be that the tuner is married to the original PCM? I know a lot of handheld tuners have strict licensing to prevent them from being used on multiple vehicles. They get locked to a vehicle and to use it on another vehicle you must first connect it back to the original vehicle and restore the stock tune which unlocks the device to be used on another vehicle. They can lock to a vehicle via several ways, VIN #, pcm serial #, etc. I do not know anything about that tuner though. I have a Diablo Sport Intune and it does that same sort of thing though. If it is in some way locked to the original PCM, it is possible that they might need to reconnect the original PCM, connect the tuner, and restore the factory tune in order to unlock the tuner. Then reconnect the new PCM and then flash the tune.

Might not be either one though. Just mentioning things I've personally run into before. Had a remote start once that if powered, my Intune could not flash a tune but it could still read codes fine. Pulled the fuse on the remote start and it would flash a tune no problem.

Old 03-20-2022, 08:46 PM

The only thing that I know is the Upgraded 2 way key from GM. That required a module to be installed somewhere. The SCT x4 does require you to un-marry it from the old PCM. Which the dealer did, or at least said they did. Im hoping its something stupid like that battery being low(It sat for 2 weeks, but they said it was on a charger while they did it), or the firmware on the tuner needs updated. They open back up tomorrow, so I'll ask if I can go take a look at it myself. I'm sure the mechanic working on it is pissed at me right now.

He called and said, "Do you know if this tuner has to be unmarried from the old pcm or not? Because I just spent 3 hours pulling these ecus in and out." To which I replied, "Yeah, that should have been in the instructions." He then said he didn't get any instructions.

I told the rep that I would send instructions, but either the email didn't go through, or he forgot about it. Quite honestly, I don't feel bad at all. Their negligence. I did everything on my end. And also they've had me waiting for over a year now anyway.

Here's the instructions I sent them if you're curious.

Attached Files
Old 03-20-2022, 11:12 PM

it might require a factory flash before it accepts the tune.

Old 03-26-2022, 11:53 PM

Final Update:

The Included SCT x4 tuner does not work on the 08 H2s for whatever reason. We had to go out and purchase an HP tuners MPVI 2+ with 2 credits in order to flash the tune. Magnuson(who's customer service is great by the way) sent us really specific instructions on getting the tune loaded on there. The dealer of course had their objections and whined the whole time, but with persuasion, they finally got it done and out of there. The New ECU is now in, the wires are all buttoned up nicely, and the truck seems to be running well as far as I can tell.

I posted a previous post on the forum about this strange knocking/rattling noise when towing up grades(3200rpmish). I had never found a solution to that, but I'm hoping it was PCM related and is all fixed now as well. And if Not, I have HP tuners now to diagnose all of it and adjust the tune if I need to.

Old 03-28-2022, 10:09 AM

just to confirm did they have to first flash a factory tune to the virgin ECU before it would accept the tune?

Quick Reply: 2008 O2 sensor rewiring