Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

2007 Front Suspension Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2020, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by ben1272
LoJac, what did your full front suspension rebuild consist of? Did you do the work yourself? Did you restore/repait your control arms while you were at it?

I am going to check out the tie rods you mention, thanks!
I’ve had nearly every part in my front end changed, with the exception of the pitman/idler changed under warranty - I’ve done all the work myself, no reason to spend the money on labor if your capable of turning a wrench everything is fairly simple with basic tools.

I recommend just buying new control arms and not messing with the old ones, despite not being boxed like OE they will function just as well and you will have brand new alignment bushings.

LCA ball joint is probably the only thing that has never been changed on my truck, I’ve checked them often but I have never found any play. Those will need to be pressed in.

Old 05-01-2020, 08:41 AM

As mentioned above +1 on bump stops, huge difference between worn out (ie cracked and falling apart bump stops) and new ones, you can expect to replace these every 80k miles. Fairly cheap ($40 for both) and can be replaced in about 5 minutes without even getting under the truck.

Small item but integral to the suspension design.

Old 05-05-2020, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by ben1272
LoJac, what did your full front suspension rebuild consist of? Did you do the work yourself? Did you restore/repait your control arms while you were at it?

I am going to check out the tie rods you mention, thanks!
I have no clue, I was just buying parts because I wanted a stronger front end. I would say the MOOG parts aren't terribly expensive. I have not touched the control arms yet. I was going to upgrade to a higher end control arm but buying my Gladiator has thrown that on the back burner since I'm dumping money into that now lol.

As mentioned, the front end suspension is pretty easy to work on aside from a couple special tools to spread pieces apart.

Old 08-29-2020, 01:45 PM

Well, I got through the rebuild. It wasnt so bad, just big heavy parts to swing around, LOTS of rust/scale to needle off (If you live in New England and dont have a pneumatic needler....get one), and cosmolene undercoating. I did all Moog parts, UCA, LCA, center link, tie rods, end, idler, pittman, and a new steering box as I could not get old pittman off! Had to replace one power steering line also. I ended up buying a new 250lb-ft craftsman torque wrench.....its good until the EMP hits.

In process, removed front bumper and re-conditioned inside and out.....the rust in New England is horrible. Also took off re-bumper and gave it the same treatment, only had it media blasted as its rust was really severe. It all looks so good now, almost like new. In coming weeks plan to replace shocks (should have done them during, but hesitated....oh well). Probably will disassemble and re-build rear brakes too.

Next up is a re-condition of the front grill guard. Also, my spare tire swing arm rotted badly and needs its main arm replaced. I'll have to get my stick welder out for this one.....big forgings on each end will need a stick welder I think. Need to buy some steel.