Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

2005 H2 with 58k miles sitting for 5 years

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2023, 10:37 PM
Default 2005 H2 with 58k miles sitting for 5 years

Hey all new here I’m going to be picking up a 2005 H2 from my father’s neighbor. He’s the original owner but hasn’t driven the truck in probably 5-6 years. Needs a good detail in and out and some tires and a full tuneup and fluid flush. Anything I should be looking for? Truck was out of gas when it was last driven so thankfully no old gas sitting but put new gas in it and was able to get it started but we turned it off right away since the fluids been sitting didn’t want it running for more than a few seconds.

what else should I be looking for?

Old 12-19-2023, 07:54 AM

Replace the radiator and hoses, flush the brakes and don't forget the power steering fluid. Congratulations, after a bit of time and $ you will have a nice rig.

Old 12-21-2023, 10:02 PM

Ok will do! Is there a best option for replacement? Anything else that’s a common problem?

Old 12-30-2023, 08:09 PM

Brakes may or may not be seized. Look for evidence of leaking brake fluid from moisture rotting lines from inside out. Tires flat spots or dry rot.

Corroded cylinders, especially in moist (aka Florida and maritime) areas). Look for blowing blue smoke. Did you lube cylinders before starting?

Check to see if exhaust is rotted. Change ALL fluids, all 9 of them. Lube grease nipples.

Load drop test battery. Likely weak now.

Old 12-31-2023, 08:41 PM

Sitting for 5-6 years? Chances are for the first year or so if you drive it every day it’s going to have a lot of issues just from not being driven/maintained, but once you get through that period of everything being broken, it’ll be good to you. Was it sitting outside or inside? Climate controlled or no?

Old 01-02-2024, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by finall
Brakes may or may not be seized. Look for evidence of leaking brake fluid from moisture rotting lines from inside out. Tires flat spots or dry rot.

Corroded cylinders, especially in moist (aka Florida and maritime) areas). Look for blowing blue smoke. Did you lube cylinders before starting?

Check to see if exhaust is rotted. Change ALL fluids, all 9 of them. Lube grease nipples.

Load drop test battery. Likely weak now.
hey, when you say all nine fluids, would you mind listing them for me so I make sure they don’t miss anything

Old 01-02-2024, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by juggernaut201
hey, when you say all nine fluids, would you mind listing them for me so I make sure they don’t miss anything
According to my calculations 10 fluids should be changed after sitting 5+yrs:

Fuel
Engine
Coolant
Windshield
Steering
Brake
Front Differential
Transmission
Transfer case
Rear Differential

Old 01-02-2024, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by hummerz
According to my calculations 10 fluids should be changed after sitting 5+yrs:

Fuel
Engine
Coolant
Windshield
Steering
Brake
Front Differential
Transmission
Transfer case
Rear Differential

awesome thank you! Work starts this week!

Old 01-02-2024, 09:24 PM

Get a anti-freeze test strip and check the acidity of the coolant. If its off the scale on the acid side consider a transmission radiator cooler bypass or replace the radiator. If it near to normal PH do a total coolant replacement and flush (don't forget the heater core)

The other fluids are important too, but the anti-freeze is the one that if it was never changed and became highly acidic it will destroy the trans cooler located inside the radiator, Even a small pin hole will allow coolant into the trans and immediately destroy it.

Also when you all done with the fluids and you have had time to put a few mile on it crawl under the dash and look up at the firewall where the hydroboost rod attaches to the brake pedal, check for leaks. A common problem with older GM HD's that haven't been used in a long time.

If you need to remove door panels be very gentle with them as they are prone to cracking. Also if you have a sunroof make sure the drains are working and not plugged.

Old 01-03-2024, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by H2-SUT
Get a anti-freeze test strip and check the acidity of the coolant. If its off the scale on the acid side consider a transmission radiator cooler bypass or replace the radiator. If it near to normal PH do a total coolant replacement and flush (don't forget the heater core)

The other fluids are important too, but the anti-freeze is the one that if it was never changed and became highly acidic it will destroy the trans cooler located inside the radiator, Even a small pin hole will allow coolant into the trans and immediately destroy it.

Also when you all done with the fluids and you have had time to put a few mile on it crawl under the dash and look up at the firewall where the hydroboost rod attaches to the brake pedal, check for leaks. A common problem with older GM HD's that haven't been used in a long time.

If you need to remove door panels be very gentle with them as they are prone to cracking. Also if you have a sunroof make sure the drains are working and not plugged.
I really appreciate the advice. Do you think I should just replace the radiator to be proactive? I’ve actually read a little bit about that in the form and I had considered it. If yes, is there a replacement that everyone is using?

Quick Reply: 2005 H2 with 58k miles sitting for 5 years