Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

2004 H2 Mirror Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2022, 04:25 PM
Default 2004 H2 Mirror Problems

Looking for help in fixing my mirrors on my 2004 H2. Moving the glass in the mirror works perfectly but folding the whole mirror in and out does not. It does fold in and out but it goes to far out and when you try to bring the whole mirror in it come# in to far and is against the truck door. Is there an adjustment for this or is the motor gears bad. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am now researching the forum for an answer. Thanks

Old 12-12-2022, 10:30 AM

the mirror has probably gotten hit with something like maybe 2 city busses, an ambulance, a fencepost or an over zealous mailman might have aggressively manually force closed the mirror by hand and the gears have jumped some teeth from the desired position.

Last edited by bronxteck; 12-12-2022 at 10:33 AM.
Old 12-12-2022, 03:41 PM

The mirror drive gear assembly is probably OK, it has a slip-drive-clutch to absorb any impacts. The image below shows the Drive Ring (Orange) with 3 Dimples (only 2 visible) which engage in matching Dimples in the Drive Gear (Violet) The Drive Ring is held under spring tension (spring not shown) so as the gear turns so does the arm. If the arm is forced hard enough the dimples are forced apart and the Drive Ring moves up the Splines.

Are both mirrors the similar?

Grab each arm and see how much play there is, there should be no more than say 1/4" of movement at the outer end of the arm.

There is a wonderful post by clsimmon (link here) where he addresses a similar issue to yours.

There is also a YT video by HummerFixes on power-fold mirror repairs, but this does not directly address your issue.

Please keep us posted as all and any information is useful 👍

Old 12-12-2022, 07:47 PM

Thanks for the information oceanbrave. I will use the info you have posted and check both mirrors tomorrow. Only drivers side mirror does this passenger works as it should. I have a lot of researching to do on this. Bronxrech you are on point lol….

Old 12-12-2022, 08:17 PM

@Numb good, you have the passenger to compare the play against.

If you haven't seen these YT videos they're worth watching to get an idea of how everything assembles and works.

Old 12-12-2022, 08:47 PM

Good deal I will watch them. I do have a question my mirrors are the ones with H2 in the back of them in chrome. Does this tell me he year of them by any chance? Are they the newer style less breakage? Like I said before my h2 is a 2004.

Old 12-13-2022, 07:31 AM

It would be good to know the complete history on outside mirrors i.e. mechanical changes/differences, electronic/wiring changes, when introduced, what model years, 1st gen, 2nd gen etc

Google suggests the old style mirrors with plain chrome and cranked fold-arms were fitted for 2003-2005 models, the new style with H2 logo and straight fold-arms were 2006 onwards.

Perhaps yours were retro-fitted which is also interesting?

If you get a look inside or hopefully fix it, please post a video, pics and details, the info would be really helpful 👍

Old 12-13-2022, 10:55 AM

yes the ones with the H2 embossed are the newer style. i have them also on my 2003. i believe they where replaced under recall oceanbrave .

Old 12-13-2022, 02:14 PM

So I went outside and looked at the drivers side mirror which is the broke one. I found that it turns but either turns to far in ( past the window ) or out to far to where its useless. I found that the whole mirror seems to be broke or disengaged from itself. More to come hopefully I can get this fixed. If I can’t do it would one of you guys like to take a crack at it. I would be willing to mail it to you and pay for shipping back to me…. Thanks

Old 12-13-2022, 04:51 PM

bronxteck perhaps that makes them "plug-n-play" i.e. plugs and electrical controls are the same.

Numb I'm in the UK, so shipping probably too expensive, however, I'll do what I can from "across the pond" to help.

BTW found these on ebay, how good/compatible/fit etc who knows, but look very similar, new and interesting I'd say..... The internals seem to match mine but the body shape seems slightly different perhaps 2nd gen?

Quick Reply: 2004 H2 Mirror Problems