Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

08 H2 Oil cooler lines slow leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2024, 08:29 PM

Allot of Hard work. I have worked with SS Braided lines before allot. I usually use the best SS lines I can get for oil. I once found an listing on Ebay for some Used NSCAR SS Braide Lines off of a One race NASCR engine. The builders only use these lines once and toss them and don't reuse them on New Motors. I bought the grab bag with all different sizes. When I got them they had fittings and were complete. I blew them out with some 2+2 Carb cleaner. That Stuff cleans anything,

I try to stick with Earls or Russel lines and fittings. You did a great job working with what you bought. The video was great. Some fancy editing and FF work. L.O.L.
Hope you finally got it going with no leaks. Thanks for documenting all the parts and methods.

BTW..What are the components use for your winch assembly. I like how you just pulled that off the Bumper. Might look into one for my 09 H2 I know the manual says not to try and tow more then 1800 Lbls with the front hitch. Used more for pushing your 32 foot Off Shore racing boat into the garage. I think it was designed more for pushing then towing. The manual says to use caution as you could collapse the front frame horns. Scary....L.O.L.

I got me a few cuts working with the SS Lines. I used a few I bought on my 65 Vett 502 ...but most were hand cut and fittings added. Here's the set up using MSD EFI.

Old 05-23-2024, 09:14 PM

I just installed these today.
GM Genuine Parts 20829009 Engine Oil Cooler Hose Kit

Perfect fit

Old 05-24-2024, 05:57 PM

Nice.... I guess you fish those in with the flex thing'ys.

Nice...nothing Like Original GM American Parts.. Sweet.!!

Old 05-24-2024, 06:14 PM

I had help getting it in. I started it from the back and I bolted it to the block. That was almost a mistake and I should’ve gotten the lines to the radiator before bolting it. I was still able to get them to the radiator but it was a challenge.

Old 05-24-2024, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by maxjeep
I had help getting it in. I started it from the back and I bolted it to the block. That was almost a mistake and I should’ve gotten the lines to the radiator before bolting it. I was still able to get them to the radiator but it was a challenge.
You saved yourself a small fortune by doing it yourself. I'm at the point that I'm done crawling under the rig to do stuff. Same with the Vette. I just spend the bucks and have the dealer do it. If it's on top of the rig ..then I'm game to do the work myself. I don't even change the oil of lube the vette anymore. Down to my local shop that does great work.

Just smoke a Stogie and watch him get oil and grease on himself.

Old 05-26-2024, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mark R
Allot of Hard work. I have worked with SS Braided lines before allot. I usually use the best SS lines I can get for oil. I once found an listing on Ebay for some Used NSCAR SS Braide Lines off of a One race NASCR engine. The builders only use these lines once and toss them and don't reuse them on New Motors. I bought the grab bag with all different sizes. When I got them they had fittings and were complete. I blew them out with some 2+2 Carb cleaner. That Stuff cleans anything,

I try to stick with Earls or Russel lines and fittings. You did a great job working with what you bought. The video was great. Some fancy editing and FF work. L.O.L.
Hope you finally got it going with no leaks. Thanks for documenting all the parts and methods.

BTW..What are the components use for your winch assembly. I like how you just pulled that off the Bumper. Might look into one for my 09 H2 I know the manual says not to try and tow more then 1800 Lbls with the front hitch. Used more for pushing your 32 foot Off Shore racing boat into the garage. I think it was designed more for pushing then towing. The manual says to use caution as you could collapse the front frame horns. Scary....L.O.L.

I got me a few cuts working with the SS Lines. I used a few I bought on my 65 Vett 502 ...but most were hand cut and fittings added. Here's the set up using MSD EFI.
That looks very nice. I wouldn’t work with SS braided. That’s a pain. The nylon and ss braid is a little easier. Less rough on the fingers.

As for the winch it’s a harbor freight badlands 9500 with the hitch mount(also harbor freight) with a vertical hole drilled in the receiver to fit a the vertical pin the h2 requires.

There was a rare dealer optioned warn winch kit that attached the same way when the trucks were new. The manual actually says don’t pull anything with the front hitch and it is only to be used for the winch attachment or a tow bar for dinghy towing the h2 behind an rv. It’s rated for 9000lbs of forward force but won’t be able to support the tongue weight of a trailer.

Old 05-27-2024, 02:52 PM

Nothing looks as good as braided stainless lines with russel fittings. Gavin, thanks for posting the parts list. Just incase I picked up a new factory line (200829009) It must have taken an act of god to get your new oil block connected to the engine. There is so little room in there.

I screwed up and really should have done the job when I had the t-case and trans out replacing the rear main seal and plate. Another pain in the *** job but I finally got rid of that oil leak that has been haunting me for the last 3 years.

Old 05-27-2024, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Gavin Costigan
That looks very nice. I wouldn’t work with SS braided. That’s a pain. The nylon and ss braid is a little easier. Less rough on the fingers.

As for the winch it’s a harbor freight badlands 9500 with the hitch mount(also harbor freight) with a vertical hole drilled in the receiver to fit a the vertical pin the h2 requires.

There was a rare dealer optioned warn winch kit that attached the same way when the trucks were new. The manual actually says don’t pull anything with the front hitch and it is only to be used for the winch attachment or a tow bar for dinghy towing the h2 behind an rv. It’s rated for 9000lbs of forward force but won’t be able to support the tongue weight of a trailer.
Thanks Gaven.. I have the GM kit I bought which came with the receiver Bar and Long Pin. The 09 had the pin hole predrilled. But The PITA is..In Jersey you have to run two license plates. So the hole is covered normally. I think some one makes a Bracket that holds the plate and flips up so you can insert the tow/push bar.

Old 05-30-2024, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Mark R
Thanks Gaven.. I have the GM kit I bought which came with the receiver Bar and Long Pin. The 09 had the pin hole predrilled. But The PITA is..In Jersey you have to run two license plates. So the hole is covered normally. I think some one makes a Bracket that holds the plate and flips up so you can insert the tow/push bar.
I run a front plate so I can back in park at my college. My solution was zip ties to mount it to the front of the winch. It even flips up… kind of😂

Old 05-30-2024, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Gavin Costigan
I run a front plate so I can back in park at my college. My solution was zip ties to mount it to the front of the winch. It even flips up… kind of😂
Zip Ties are Cool...Use them for every thing.