Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

08 H2 Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2023, 02:00 AM
Default 08 H2 Advice

To all my H2 owners, I'm thinking about finally making the step up and getting the H2. Any tips on what I should look out for when I go to the dealership to check out this thing? Leaks, connections, potential maintenance headaches? I've been told to be wary of the interior plastics but that was rectified with the 08-09 years no?

Last edited by Banestudent21; 03-07-2023 at 09:01 PM.
Old 03-07-2023, 06:32 PM

Some items are shared with the earlier models, like the Transfer case encoder motor, make sure it shifts through the modes without issue and water leaks from the cab clearance lights over the dash. Do a good walk around look for rusted brake lines and such under the truck. Check for valve noise on cold crank up, and check for any DTC's. The L92 has VVT but does not have DOD so look to see that there are no DTC's.

Neal

Old 03-07-2023, 08:36 PM

Be weary of piston slap on these years. After they moved to the all aluminum engines, some of them are really really bad. It doesn’t seem to cause any harm as long as it goes away a few minutes after its fully warmed up. Sometimes it can reappear slightly after stopping at a light or something.

Sometimes it can be hard to tell by sound if the engine is bad or just slapping. As long as it goes away when it’s warm, you’re good.

Transfer case motors can be finicky if 4wd isn’t used often and throws an error on the dash. Sometimes it needs to be worked back and forth and it frees up, if it doesn’t do anything at all then it’s bad.

See what services have been done, around 100k spark plugs and wires need done, and all fluids need changed except transmission if it’s original.

Honestly I wouldn’t even buy one with an original transmission. The first run of 6l80s in the 08 are so garbage and likely won’t make it to 100k miles, but if it runs and shifts good, fluid is still cherry, then you’re probably alright. If the trans has been replaced once already consider that a big plus as they have been updated and refined.

See if you can get a prepurchase inspection from a reputable mechanic. Could save you a ton.