Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

05 Transmission Filter - New one doesn't fit

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2021, 04:29 PM

Good suggestion, will check color and flush & drain as necessary, I'll do it every LPG refill which is around that distance.

1 pint (approx 0.5l) seems about right, hard to be exact.

Filter is in nice an tight, it has 4-off 6mm tall stand-off posts moulded in it lower side, these must be in contact with the pan and ensure the fluid can flow underneath.

Indeed fluid cheaper than a new transmission, plus have a drain plug now to make life easier!

Thanks guys..

Old 10-05-2021, 10:42 AM

"Also, for some reason, my door locks no longer dis-engage when I go back into park, could I have dislodged or changed something? (i.e. could it be related?)"

Not often I quote my own comments.

I guess working on the transmission made me paranoid as resources for Hummers here in UK are virtually non existent, so if something goes wrong you're pretty much sunk, so to speak 😟

Anyway the door locks issue was just a "setting" which I must have changed unintentionally at the same time, so all's good so far ...

Old 10-05-2021, 04:06 PM

You can now put a patch on your sleeve.

Old 10-05-2021, 05:39 PM

ooooo compared to yourself and other Senior Members I have a looooong way to go.

Think this is more appropriate ...

Old 10-09-2021, 08:01 PM

Regarding "debris" in the transmission pan, I have no experience or data on H2 transmissions, so nothing to reference

What should I be looking for, what is typical?
What levels or fragments would be concerning i.e. size, quantity of fragments etc.

At the moment, I have no detectable transmission issues and I'm continuing with fluid changes (yes ACD)

Any help much appreciated

👍

Old 10-09-2021, 10:35 PM

That is a hard one to describe. I would say multiple pieces of something the size of your smallest fingernail would be very concerning.

From my many years of experience changing trany fluids:
Smaller shavings could have been the result of milling the brand new transmission. Smaller shavings 2 mm in diameter and less than 1mm thick are of no concern, unless there are lots of them.

You may see a HUGE amount of microscopic metal filings that accumulate on the magnets and look like fine metal mud. Those are of no concern, but show you how the trany is wearing. They are the ones that can produce a metallic sheen in the fluid (fluid looks like metallic paint). There should be none visible after the 2nd flush, if any are present. You can also see these identical ones in motor oil and magnetic drain plugs.

My H2 has never had any of the above, but other cars have had small, inconsequential bits in the pan.
I attributed them to the manufacturing process and bad initial flush (of no flush). Never was a sign of any upcoming failure.

That is the best way I can describe this. Hope it helps

Old 10-10-2021, 06:16 PM

Thank you finallfinall, your rather informative description, it made a lot of sense 👍

The bottom of the pan was indeed coated in a fair amount of "Sludge" or metallic paint as you described, and yes the magnet had quite a fair amount of microscopic metal "mud" accumulated on it.

The pan itself had zero shavings, however II opened-up the filter, inside the "sock" there were metal fragments, some were magnetic, some alloy casing, some brass looking, but nothing as big as 2mm x 1mm as you described, more like fine "slithers" I'd say.

Had I not opened-up the filter I'd never have known. The filter looked well due a change, and now having a drain plug is absolutely essential,

I wonder how many owners driving around out there are due a AT service?

My thoughts were at the time "It is what it is, I can't really do anything to change it" but one thing for sure is, it definitely needed doing, so I now going through the next fluid changes.

On this subject I produced this excel sheet as a rough guide.... "Purity" is how much good/new fluid there is in the transmission (assuming only few miles between changes)

Is this what you imagine? e.g 4 changes = 85%?

Of course 100% is impossible and expensive.

Note, addition curves can be added for different "change" quantities, 4 Quarts is 1 container's worth.

(edit)
One thing (from the excel sheet) the more fluid that's changed each time, the less it costs (lees changes and fluid). i.e. to Achieve exceed 80% purity
3L a time requires 18L and 5 changes
4L,16L 4 changes
4.7L, 4L, 3 changes
5L, 15L,, 2.7 changes (but you can't have a fraction of a change)

I've read 4.7L can be drained (assuming no filter change) is that the figure you have?

Last edited by oceanbrave; 10-10-2021 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Additional thought
Old 10-10-2021, 07:27 PM
Old 10-10-2021, 07:45 PM

@oceanbrave

Yes, you have all that correct. One trick I use to drain more motor oil or trany fluid is to jack up the vehicle on each corner (tilt the vehicle), and watch that produce more fluid out the drain.

Paying for that machine flush pictured above is for wimps. Super pricey and who knows what fluid is stuck in the lines that then gets flushed into your trany.

I don't know about this machine, but some coolant machines just filter old coolant and add additives to produce "new coolant". I would not want any of that in my vehicle.

Important note of something often overlooked when recommending a power flush: Power flushing a trany is ADVISED AGAINST by the manufacturer for some vehicles (not sure about Hummer).

It is a dealer trip to use the machine, for those who do not know how to work on cars.
But why risk it if you can do your own work?

Old 10-11-2021, 11:21 AM

finall
Again jacking up corners makes sense👍

For the H2, do you know total fluid that can be drained by doing this, it would be good to know?

Also how you tag to PM me, I've looked through the FAQs but it's not clear ❓ (BTW only your posts do this, it's such a cool forum feature)

Where did that video go❓ You know I watched it through, read the product manual but still have idea what it does exactly, curious machine🦧