Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

05 Transmission Filter - New one doesn't fit

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2021, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by oceanbrave
Thanks Hummerz, much appreciated.
I'll watch and check tomorrow, rain permitting.

I thought I'd selected the right depth.

So where is the depth measured, IE which end?

If the ACD part is for a shallow pan and my pan won't fit flush does that make my pan deep or shallow? ( Got nothing to compare it too)
I posted a pic above. Easy to know before removal, flat bottom=shallow. Depth is measured from the inside.

Old 09-29-2021, 05:42 PM

Claw hammer was during Covid lock down, one had to improvise....

Old 09-29-2021, 05:50 PM

Post a pic of your pan!

Old 09-29-2021, 06:36 PM

You're gonna say "deep pan" wrong filter?

It measures 3" at the deepest area i.e. RHS internal depth.

Th new pan I bought with the drain plug was an exact match.... seems I got that right

Old 09-29-2021, 06:50 PM

DEEP PAN, WRONG FILTER!

Old 09-30-2021, 03:14 PM

Thanks hummerz as usual you've been a great help 👍

Managed to get a deep-pan filter one in the UK (amazement) should be here tomorrow, or Monday (Covid delays)

BTW I did measure the pan depth, but obviously miscalculated, your picture comparison says it all.

I'll rip the old filter apart and check for metal shavings & fragments etc when the new filter arrives (need it to compare)

The old pan looked like bellow, no big particles (you can see where I wiped my finger round):-

I followed your advice and did the Seafoam trip, not sure if it made any transmission changes, perhaps shifted gears a little more easily on the hills, but then perhaps I'm paranoid about noises it at the moment.

I watched your video and see I was being too careful, I should have just gone for it, may fabricate a tool while I'm waiting.

There was no way to remove the pan without removing the exhaust (not even with my claw hammer) even after removing the heat-shield and levering the transmission cable-bracket, I'd say it all came down to about 1/4" too much interference. Perhaps by levering and pushing more I might have got it out, but TBH removing the exhaust made access so much easier. Only spilled a small amount of fluid, the amount I measured was approx 4 quarts (4.7L)

Regarding torque, the manual calls for 8 ft-lbs (11 Nm) which seems a little on the low side, other sources list 12 ft-lbs (16 Nm) which perhaps seems more sensible.

As far as I can ascertain, lightly hand tighten, then torque in a cross-pattern, the manual just says "alternately and evenly" So based on similar ones I determined this sequence.

In other H2 videos they didn't seem to bother too much about the sequence and torque, am I being too careful?

Old 09-30-2021, 03:33 PM

Take all the bolts up flush, then give them a quarter or so, snug tight. Do not over tighten, you will see the gasket squeezing out if you do. Drive around to operating temperature, then park it and check for leaks/seepage, also check torque on the bolts. I've never used a torque wrench on the pan bolts, just gotta know the feel and make sure to watch that the gasket doesn't move outward. If the bolts are not tight enough, you will see seepage, however if the bolts are over tightened, you will need a new gasket. GL

Old 09-30-2021, 03:38 PM

Sounds sensible, can't wait to get to that stage......

Old 09-30-2021, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by oceanbrave
Sounds sensible, can't wait to get to that stage......
Take your time and make sure surfaces are clean. Done right, you save around 200 pounds?

Old 09-30-2021, 11:54 PM

Everything set, surfaces cleaned and smooth...

Quick Reply: 05 Transmission Filter - New one doesn't fit