Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

05 H2 - knock sensors, intake manifold gaskets replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2021, 10:58 AM
Default 05 H2 - knock sensors, intake manifold gaskets replacement

Hello, I’m about to replace the fuel injector cross over fuel line, intake manifold gaskets, knock sensors and wire, and just clean up in areas that I didn’t have access to yet under the manifold. For those that have done this job, should I be replacing anything else? Anything to look for while I’m doing all this work? This truck has 427K miles, it’s on its second engine, from what I know it has over 200k miles. Runs smooth asfk for the most part but sometimes it has misfire on cylinder 8 which is not that much noticeable. I actually been driving like this for over a year now. I will post pics when I start taking the beast apart in a few days. Cheers.

Still missing the intake manifold gaskets

Old 07-28-2021, 12:54 PM
Default Work progress pics

Wasn’t too bad one the intake came off

Prep for clean up

Old gaskets are worn

Oil and carbon build up. That’s about to get a good wash before it goes back on

Old 07-29-2021, 08:05 AM

Nice. Yeah it is not really a terribly hard job to do. Just fiddly and a bit time consuming to get everything pulled off. Nice valve cover paint...

Old 07-29-2021, 08:28 AM
Default Knock sensors and fuel injectors

One of the sensors is almost completely covered in rust. That was the back one. Front was starting to rust.

also noticed I have two or three types of fuel injectors after taking them apart. #4 and #8 had a fuel injectors with 4 spray openings. Rest have dual openings. Should all be the same?

Different types of fuel injectors found. Also had 2 retaining clips missing and the orings on all of them are complete trash. Just ordered replacements. Fun stuff.

Old 07-29-2021, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
Nice. Yeah it is not really a terribly hard job to do. Just fiddly and a bit time consuming to get everything pulled off. Nice valve cover paint...

nice job. About to put some of that red RTV silicone as well.

Old 07-30-2021, 07:49 AM

Two days later, the truck runs and responds with zero hesitation. Started right away. Not only that but my check engine light is gone as well.

- replaced knock sensors and wiring
- replaced intake manifold gaskets and cleaned surfaces
- removed and cleaned all the fuel injectors and rails and replaced all o-rings and end caps/sleeves
- replaced cross over fuel line
- cleaned throttle body

next up is the exhaust and cats. Cheers.

now off to the beach we go.

Old 07-30-2021, 09:14 AM

Looks like a nice job, I dig the orange valve covers. I would have added an oil pressure switch since you were "in there"

Old 07-30-2021, 04:31 PM

Great job. Did my 2007 intake gaskets, knock sensors & wire, valley pan gaskets, oil pressure sending unit last weekend. All GM parts.

I used AC Delco knock sensors and wire loom, drove it about 25 miles and a check engine light came on that read "bank 1 knock sensor weak signal". Cleared the code, filled up with premium fuel and so far after 100 miles no warning light.

The hardest part: sitting on top the radiator crossmember for hours bending over to get it done right.

Anyone else who does this should definitely replace the valley pan gaskets. The kit also comes with two rubber grommets that sit below the knock sensors, mine were very brittle and hard. Also be sure and purchase high quality intake gaskets, not cheap crap.

I purchased Fel-Pro MS 98016T. These are the PermaDryPlus. A complete kit.

Old 07-30-2021, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Daniel Z
Two days later, the truck runs and responds with zero hesitation. Started right away. Not only that but my check engine light is gone as well.

- replaced knock sensors and wiring
- replaced intake manifold gaskets and cleaned surfaces
- removed and cleaned all the fuel injectors and rails and replaced all o-rings and end caps/sleeves
- replaced cross over fuel line
- cleaned throttle body

next up is the exhaust and cats. Cheers.

now off to the beach we go.

Nice work!

Old 07-30-2021, 09:51 PM

i am battling exhaust manifolds myself at the moment. not fun. especially the piece of dipstick tube that needs to now come out of the block. the broken screws i was expecting and replacing the dipstick too but hopefully the oil pan wont have to come out

Quick Reply: 05 H2 - knock sensors, intake manifold gaskets replacement