Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

05 H2 - Driver side power/heat issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2020 | 02:16 PM
|
Default 05 H2 - Driver side power/heat issue

Hello All, new member. Have a couple of issues with the drivers side seat.
1. the power functions are reversed, meaning if u move the switch forward, the seat moves backwards, likewise when slide back, seat moves forward. If you move the switch up, the seat tilts down. Any idea what could cause this? I'm assuming it's something w wiring.
2. Issue two, the heated seat, driver side, if you press the buttons on the door, I can hear clicking noise under the seat and the function does not work, the indicator lights go off just about instantly.

thanks for your input. I'm no mechanic but have done a ton on this truck in the last 3 to 4 Months. So am learning a lot as I go.

dan

Old 01-19-2020 | 03:44 PM

1. there is a new update for the seat module to correct the inverted functions. requires a programmer like a tech2
2. heated seat element in the seat is bad could be bottom or top or both requires replacement

Old 01-20-2020 | 09:53 PM

On the heated seat - like stated one pad is bad. Dorman makes a heating seat element, you can unplug the existing and plug in the new one to figure out which is bad. To repair the seat leather must come off to replace - good time to replace the leather also if worn. On mine when that happened both seats would not work - lights blinked and went out. Replaced the lower drivers element and both seats work perfect again for heat.

Old 01-26-2020 | 09:16 AM

I would not use those. I would first try and repair yours first. Note this post: https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...f-40232/page3/

Old 01-26-2020 | 11:00 AM

The Dorman pads work great - Have used in 2 of my past H2's for years without issues. If you want your seats like new again & opt for new leather - this is the way to go. I personally wouldn't try repairing a seat heating element- the in & outs and up and downs that have been subjected to the seat by the driver or passenger wears things out, replace it and be good for another 10+ years. The Dorman ones heat great, you will be positioning to low after they heat up . I also trimmed the edges to fit between the velcro and flipped the dorman pad over to match left or right electrical cord orientation- never noticed a difference from one side or the other facing up for heating loss/gain..
Again, my thought process was if I have to take the time to pull the seat and existing leather seat cover- I want to spend the extra $165 +/- to have a nice new soft leather seat bottom so when installed I am looking at a great visual improvement.

Old 01-26-2020 | 11:37 AM
|

Great info. Thanks a lot. I will need to dedicate some time to fix this. I also want to take the seat out and do some cleaning as I noticed rust around the seat bolts. So that may be a good time to prime and paint the rusty areas of the floor.
D

Old 01-26-2020 | 10:51 PM

Once the OEM has been repaired it will be far better than literally having to cut out from the original leather seat skin and replacing it with Dorman. For those that have been around Hummers for a really long time appreciate that Dorman does have parts for H2s available but only as a last resort, as they are no where near the quality of OEM.

Old 01-27-2020 | 07:33 AM

As someone who has had 4 Hummer H2's and one H3 going back to my first in year 2005 and as a licensed master electrician, I have a different opinion on seat heating elements.
I also specifically referred to the Dorman element- not any other Dorman products. I tend to improve things when I do a repair, I look for the best scenario to resolve the issue - if there is a better option even if it costs more- thats the route I take.
If you feel repairing a worn out leather seat with countless miles & years on it, good for you.
I am simply stating a way for someone to both improve their rigs with a better heating element than what they have now & have a like new seat again with spending what I feel is nominal money.
If someone is satisfied taking the seat(s) out removing worn leather, cutting open the bottom of the seat, trying to locate a broken element (from wear) - with the chance the repair doesnt work, or fails soon after in another spot (because of years of wear), reinstalling worn leather, reinstalling seat(s) in McGiver state - Your repair is for them.
Many others are in the do it right the first time camp, those are who I am addressing- not you

Old 01-27-2020 | 08:03 AM

Charmer 3, we appreciate your contribution and glad you are here and it sounds like you do have some experience. I'm a Hummer dealer, and only deal in H2s and I've renewed so many of these H2's I've honestly lost count. Your approach is absolutely doable, I do not discredit it at all, and it will get the job done, but in this case, in order to do it "right" so you're using the best materials and match, the first step would be to repair your OEM. If you are leather needs repair you should have the single panel repaired by an upholstery shop whom can source the hide from the same source as GM. Pre-fab'd aftermarket covers look completely amazing up until you install them and realize they don't match at all in terms of grain (baseball glove leather vs patina H2 leather that is a lot more smooth) - trust me, I've been down this rabbit hole. Also, keep in mind these forums are all about information and we leave it up to the readers to have as much of it as possible so they can make the most informed decisions as to what's best for their situation.