Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

05 H2 coolant leak by cylinder 7 area

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2022, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Daniel Z
also thanks for the link. Got me watching a bunch of videos. New coolant is yellowish.
Does the yellow coolant have that sweet smell.. or a strong, musky ammonia rodent urine smell?

Btw, OEM Dex'Cool is manufactured by Prestone, new labels to make it easier for GM OWNERS.

Old 02-01-2022, 06:30 PM
Default Coolant smell

Originally Posted by hummerz
Does the yellow coolant have that sweet smell.. or a strong, musky ammonia rodent urine smell?

Btw, OEM Dex'Cool is manufactured by Prestone, new labels to make it easier for GM OWNERS.

the smell is actually the same as in the container. More of a sweet smell? Would you suggest I flush the coolant and add the proper one?

Old 02-01-2022, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by finall
Isn't the proper coolant color for the 05 H2 Dexcool pink, like for all Hummers, or did that change at some point?
GM DexCool was NEVER jap pink!

Old 02-01-2022, 07:01 PM

the smell is actually the same as in the container. More of a sweet smell? Would you suggest I flush the coolant and add the proper one?
Too late if you destroyed the gaskets.

Old 02-02-2022, 04:40 AM

Actually I was asking if I should change the coolant type after I do the gaskets.

im sure the list will grow as soon as I open the block. This is going to turn into a partial engine rebuild. I was thinking of replacing the valve springs and tie rods as well, I think this would be a perfect opportunity to do so.

thanks

Old 02-02-2022, 10:05 AM

if you where planning any cam upgrades now will be the time since you have to remove the heads to pull the lifters to be able to do a cam swap if not you will have to revisit all this work at that time.

Old 02-02-2022, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by bronxteck
if you where planning any cam upgrades now will be the time since you have to remove the heads to pull the lifters to be able to do a cam swap if not you will have to revisit all this work at that time.
What I would like to do is to eventually pull the motor out and rebuild the entire engine. Planning to do that in a year or so. I may leave that for that time. I suppose let’s see what the engine looks like under the blocks. I should have it all out by end of tomorrow.

and now I wish the hood open the other way. Too old for this bending and twisting.

Old 02-02-2022, 05:13 PM

Actually I was asking if I should change the coolant type after I do the gaskets.
Yes! Grab a beer and watch these:

Old 02-02-2022, 06:38 PM

Old 02-03-2022, 07:40 AM
Default Day 2 progress

Getting closer to getting off the drivers side head out.

Drivers side rocker arm and springs. Noticed that cylinder 3 one of the spring is compressed while the others are not.

Also noticed that the exhaust gasket, cylinder 7 might had a leak. The last bolt wasn’t as tight as the others maybe that was the cause.

Quick Reply: 05 H2 coolant leak by cylinder 7 area