Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

05 H2 - additional work and progress

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 05:36 PM

@ bronxtek, nice.

update:
it's been brutal as far as heat in south Florid last few days so I'm tanned pretty good from doing all work in my driveway lol
anyways, list of items completed/installed:
1. Oil pan gasket and oil filter (coming in tomorrow). That was interesting and an experience. In the process I disconnected the front drive shaft from the front differential and by doing so, the ujoint busted to pieces, so picked up new one. Will probably replace the rear one tomorrow as well, make me sleep better at night.
2. New oil cooler lines
3. Power steering pump, bracket which I painted black, alternator. All back in place.
4. Cleaned up grease around the oil pan area, including the front bracket holding a couple of lines.
5. New steering shock.
next up, install the harmonic balancer, power steering pulley, belts, radiator, hoses and make final connections for the cooler lines. Oh also will be replacing the eltransmission cooler line between transmission and the radiator, it's about to bust. Will have to order the other transmission line as well, rusty bad.

almost there, few more days to get this puppy back to life. Thanks for all the advices. Youtube has been my best pal for months lol

Power steering area

It was nasty

Front of engine

Steering. I like the Bilstein matech front and back now.

Tomorrows assigment

Old 06-17-2020, 06:59 PM

The front grill has messed up chrome, any qay to fix it? Strip and paint possibly? Need some recommendations.

Work in progress. Finally cooled down.

This H2 is going to be bannanas

Last edited by Daniel Z; 06-17-2020 at 07:02 PM.
Old 06-22-2020, 05:36 PM

Been raining daily here so slow progress, but got most of the stuff in. Hope to install all by tomorrow and fill in all fluids and get this baby started.

Have a blessed day all.

Old 06-22-2020, 05:56 PM

Looks great- Hopefully that o-ring resolved the low oil pressure also!

Old 06-22-2020, 07:27 PM

hopefully the o-ring decided to play nice going in and sealed/ seated properly.

Old 06-25-2020, 07:47 PM

One more delay but got everything in, except the air intake piece and need to fill up the power steering fluid. Coolant in as well, but I'm sure more will be required once I start the engine. Looking at the top of the engine, next up will be the fuel line and fuel injector rail, and I need to figure out which ignition coil is bad. Could be wiring harness too, we shall see. The truck ran well before all this work but had many leaks.

Old 06-27-2020, 04:16 PM

Truck fired up on first turn of the key. I'm surprised there are no leaks, so that's a good sign. Temps and oil pressure looks good. Next up ignition coil, but will run the codes and make sure.

Refurbished the front differential cross bar.

New oil cooler lines ans new power steerting lines

Last edited by Daniel Z; 06-27-2020 at 04:31 PM.
Old 07-19-2020, 12:50 PM

JUst wanted to give you props! That’s a huge amount of work. Awesome to see you complete it yourself and post pics.

and you did all of this in your driveway? No lift? No covered area? Just hand tools?

out of curiosity....how log did you have the h2 before you decided to do all of this work?

Old 07-22-2020, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by RoH2
JUst wanted to give you props! That’s a huge amount of work. Awesome to see you complete it yourself and post pics.

and you did all of this in your driveway? No lift? No covered area? Just hand tools?

out of curiosity....how log did you have the h2 before you decided to do all of this work?
Thank you. Yes all work was performed outside on my driveway. Used 3 ton jack along with 2-3 ton jack stands. Only once did I use a portable beach umbrella because of the heat. It was a long list of things but there is still few more. I actally just put 1k miles in 2 weeks, few problems still occurring. Cylinder 8 misfire. Changed the ignition coil and spark plug and exhaust manifold gaskets (those actually fell apart), still feel light vibrations. Major improvement but not fixed. So I will take a look at the valve springs and see if those need to be changed.

so, over all, my father in law bought this truck back in NJ/Pa in 06 or 07. The truck had very few miles when he got it, maybe 20k tops. We got the truck when he passed with around 360k miles on it, so we had it probably around 5 years now with 2 years being sitting in driveway. Drives very nice, it is aged and definitely has been used. 412k right now and running. 2nd engine and second transmission. Still need to do the fuel lines, steering and front control arms and front wheel hubs. It's a ton of work for sure.

Old 08-29-2020, 02:24 PM

Nice job! I hope you keep sharing.

I just replaced my (SUT) entire front suspension and steering (including box), both front brake lines, a parking brake cable, 2 front body mount bushings, reconditioned front and rear bumpers (off the truck). Still have a bunch to do, but considering it has been in New England its whole life, I'd say its held up pretty well.

It is such a nice riding truck, and I havent found a truck I like the looks of more, except maybe the H1/HMMWV.