Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

05 H2 - additional work and progress

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2020, 07:43 PM
Default 05 H2 - additional work and progress

Since I have all the time in the world right now, I have a little update on the current work on our 05 H2. It's been a lot of work so it's taking a lot of time, especially since most of the work I do on my own.

Anyways, here is the list:
1. Replacing all radiator Hoses with new silicone ones. Going with blue ones.
2. Replacing water pump with new fan clutch. drained the coolant already, probably more left in the water pump still.
3. New cerp. And AC Belts.
4. New pulleys.
5. Cleaning around the radiator, I just pulled leaves and debrie from a decade ago. It was nasty.
6. New oil and Trans cooling lines. Currently they are so rusty they would break to touch.
7. Cleaning around the engine, I'll try to remove and clean all the old grease out.
8. Installing RGB rock lights. Got a set of 8.
9. Install new tank straps. See pics for current state, yikes.

Additional work on the horizon:
10. New front shock/damper (Steering). Will go with Bilstein to match new front and back shocks.
11. Replace some worn out steering components. List to follow.

so far good progress. This baby will pull another 400k hopefully, who knows. Tomorrow taking of the hood so I can start getting busy. Working from the side sucks.

stay safe yall.

Rear tank strap. Holy, how did that hold all this gas? Replacing both straps. Surprised to see the new part are made in canada.

Work in progress. Its rainy season here in florida, i cover all the openings to keep stuff out of them (snakes, lizards, etc).

Lots to clean up and replace amd freshen up.

Before disassembly. Noticed the split lumen also needs to be replced. Its crystalized so much, it shatters to touch. Ill put that in the list to do.

Just for fun, its a rad rat aka corn snake. Good to have around and they have no venom. See those around all the time. Hopefully they wont nap within my truck frame.

Also good to have around. Black racer. Non venomous. Hes always around our truck lol.

Last edited by Daniel Z; 06-02-2020 at 07:49 PM.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:59 AM

Great list of things to do. The snakes give me the creeps tho'

That tank strap is crazy, you caught it in time.

Old 06-03-2020, 08:27 AM

Nice project and things to get going on!

Old 06-03-2020, 06:49 PM

I have 2005 H2. Bought new radiator, Blue hoses, AC lines , cond, trans lines . Will repaint hood while i have it off to do the engine wood. Thanks for the gas tank strap check. will do that also. WV uses road salt in winter.

Old 06-04-2020, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Sirina2
I have 2005 H2. Bought new radiator, Blue hoses, AC lines , cond, trans lines . Will repaint hood while i have it off to do the engine wood. Thanks for the gas tank strap check. will do that also. WV uses road salt in winter.
nice!
The straps were actually easy to install. I'm also looking for an aluminum radiator. The heat in Florida is no joke.

Last edited by Daniel Z; 06-04-2020 at 06:11 AM.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:52 PM

That rig live on the coast or from the northeast? Looks like it was in a salt environment for a time- Check the brake lines....

Old 06-04-2020, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Chrmer3
That rig live on the coast or from the northeast? Looks like it was in a salt environment for a time- Check the brake lines....
Most of its life has been up north east, in PA and Nj. Last 4 years in Florida. Rust has been removed as much as possible, still on going project.

entire break system has been upgraded, master cylinder, all lines, all calipers and rotors and pads. Only thing left is the parking brakes, the lines are old and some lines have cuts. That's additional line item for me

Old 06-04-2020, 06:28 PM

one more thing,

my pet boa out for a look around while i wash my hummer.

Old 06-04-2020, 06:32 PM

boas are not native to Florida. they are going through great lengths to eradicate them. they are reproducing like wild fire and devastating all the native species. iguanas also.

Old 06-06-2020, 11:48 AM

Slow progress better than no progress. Been raining last few days pretty hard on the treasure coast. But I did manage to get the following out:
1. Water pump. Fairly quick to remove.
2. Power steering pulley. It was stubborn but came off after a long battle. Def get the tool for this job.
3. Power steering pump and bracket which hold the alternator as well. Fairly easy. Very rusty.
4. Noticed I need to replace the power steering lines, they are all trash and no better time than now to replace them all. Just ordered those up
5. Time to clean around the engine block and also start work on remov8ng front steering components.

break time lol

Yup rusty

Power steering pump

Water pump amd power steering pulley. Lots of rust on the water pump bolts and inside the unit itself. Not good. Pulley put up a good fight, it was stunborn

Quick Reply: 05 H2 - additional work and progress