Hummer H1 The original Hummer, which brought the Hummer look to the public eye during Desert Storm, with the addition of some features that make the H1 more of a street vehicle and less of a Army truck

Won't start

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 08:09 PM
Default Won't start

Just purchased a 1998 H1 Turbo in late September. First month, no problems, in fact, everything was just great. About 1 month into it, headed out one morning after about 10 minutes of idling warm-up. Out on the highway, it just died, like I turned the key off. Waited about 1 minute and started it right up. Drove about 1/4 mile and died the same way again. Waited a minute and did the same thing with the same results. Turned around and headed home and it didn't do it again. Drove about 40 miles and it did it again three times over about a 10 mile stretch. Next refuel, added diesel fuel additive suspecting possible bad diesel (water, etc.). Problem persisted, but intermittently. Sometimes it would go 2 days without a problem, but when it started up, the problem would be consistent for 10-12 restarts. Was out of town about2 weeks later and it did not want to start. Finally did, but would run about 20 seconds and die. Did this consistently again for probably 20 restarts over about 1 hour. Drove it towards home (2 hours away) and made it about an hour before it did it again for again about 10 restarts. Same thing, died after about 20 seconds. Continued to try to drain down fuel tanks and keep in additive. Changed the fuel filter and there was no problem for about a week. Then it started up the same way. Last week, it did it to me about 5 times, but restarted fine each time. Next morning, nothing. Won't give a hint of starting. Now it is in my yard and I am 1 hour from any type of help and 2 hours from a dealer. When I turn the key on, the wait light and the drain filter light have consistently come on. I have regularly drained fuel from the filter via the petcock. Before I begin to tackle this issue, especially before hauling it in somewhere a long ways off, I wanted to know if any of you had seen this before. Thanks.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:36 PM
Default RE: Won't start

Could be PMD/FSD overheating? Does it occur when the vehicle is warmed up, but start ok when cold?
Check out this thread:

https://www.hummerforums.com/m_79625/tm.htm

Old 11-20-2007, 08:47 PM

Thanks Manny. No, the first time the problem occurred, while it had been idling, it wasn't a hot day and didn't seem to be the problem. While your solution could be right, my problem right now is that it drove home fine (about 12 miles after it had died the last time) and then the next morning it would not start at all. Just continued to turn over. Sometimes the problem would not occur until I had been driving it a while, sometimes it would occur within a few minutes of starting for the first time in the day. Sometimes it would be fine for several days and then just start up. Once, I had a terrible time starting it, taking about 15 minutes of trying several times before it finally kicked off and then ran for about 240 miles in one single trip. Next day, started it up and within 2 minutes of idling, it died. After pulling out onto the street, it died 3 times in 3 blocks. Drained the petcock, etc., to no avail. When I start it, the drain filter light and wait light come on, with the drain filter light extinguishing about 4 seconds before the wait light goes off. This is consistently the case, even if I have drained the filter of about a pint or so. However, I am new to this machine, so that may be the norm. My big problem right now is just not starting at all.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:23 AM

Since it is stalling out on you sometimes, it sounds like it isn't a starter or glow plug issue.
It could still be a number of issues, though...

The diesel only needs a few things to run; some possible problems could include:

PMD/FSD
Lift Pump
Pinched Fuel return line
Improperly installed fuel filter, or air otherwise getting into the fuel delivery system
VERY dirty or restricted Air Filter
Intermittent electrical connections

Does it shut off very abruptly when it stalls out, or does it sputter and cough first?
Can you hear the lift pump running while the problem is occuring, and have you tried "jumping" the lift pump with 12v when the problem is occuring?

http://hummer.off-road.com/hummer/Ch.../detail/368926

Good luck, and let us know what you find...

Old 11-21-2007, 09:26 AM

BTW, with all that said - my money is still on the PMD/FSD... especially with the "like the key was turned off" shut down experiences and then not starting.

Old 11-21-2007, 10:05 AM

Well, time heals all wounds or something like that? Went out this morning, let the wait light go out. Turned the key off. Repeated the process 2 more times, until the wait light would not come on before trying to start it. Fired off without a bit of hesitation and has been running for 30 minutes or so now. To answer one of your earlier questions Manny, it usually just dies. Only once or twice since I have been having the problem has it ever hesitated or missed, and never in those times did it die. The dying part is just exactly like I have turned off the key. Just dies without even a whimper.

I am going to let it run for a while this morning. I did replace the fuel filter during this latest episode, so maybe that helped. I am going to follow the tip provided in the link Manny gave me about relocating the PMD. Right now, I am going to let it run for a while and see if the heating up problem presents itself.

I appreciate all the help and I will keep you posted as I work through this thing. Otherwise, it is one outstanding vehicle.

Old 08-25-2020, 03:31 PM
Default Hammer H1, 1998 model won't start, am having the same issue u had and I have done all

[QUOTE=Havanadaydreaming;

Am having exactly the same story Mate, kindly update me please on how you shorted out that problem??? 🙄

Old 08-28-2020, 02:15 PM

Best guess is that it was the PMD. Everyone needs to reposition it on an extension and always carry a known good spare in the truck. I had a spare mounted and never used for several years. Hooked it up just to see if it would work and had an engine run away because it was bad. Now keep a spare inside the truck.