PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

thought it was the PMD.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 02:52 PM
Default thought it was the PMD.

Hi all,

Thanks in advance for any ideas. I have a 2000 soft top 4dr. I used to fuel it with SVO. That didn't pan out so well. I've gotten pretty good at swapping IPs (4 times now). Ive been running on straight diesel for about a year and a half with no problems till last week. I had re-located my PMD to the side of the battery tray last summer. I made sure I used dielectric silicone and a good seal around the seams with RTV. That was a great location until the plastic tray decided to crack and fall off, along with the PMD heat sink. It ended up under the right tire. This yanked the wires out of my extension harness. So temporarily, I mounted my PMD and heat sink using a stock harness and resting it on top of the engine with (some) air flow. The other day, the truck started to run very rough on the highway. I pulled over and inspected the PMD. When I looked at the plug and pins, there was a good amount of blue green corrosion. I hadn't sealed the connector as well as I did the "permanent" one. So I went to Radio shack and bought a can of contact cleaner. I had a toothbrush. So I scrubbed the pins and plug. The cleaner seemed to work very well. But Now, the truck wouldn't start at all. The batteries were weak already, this did them in. After a while, I was able to get a jump start. I bought two new batteries anyway, and installed them. The truck ran fine for 15-20 miles. But, on my way home, it started running very rough under acceleration or at highway speeds(lots of puffing black smoke). At one point, it stalled and wouldn't start. I was at a gas station, so I bought a bag of ice and some ziplock bags. I filled the ziplocks with ice and sandwiched the pmd between them. After 20-30 min, it started, but ran very rough like before. I barely made it home. I ordered two PMDs from Dieselcare. They were here in two days. They didn't have resistors in them, so I pulled the #9 I had in the old one out. When I did this,I noticed that it was also corroded. I cleaned it as well as I could, put it in the "new" PMD. The truck still ran rough. I had another PMD(that I think was shot) with a #4 resistor. I swapped it out into the other "new" PMD, and still runs rough. This time it trips the MIL. I used a code reader, and found 4 codes (251 generic IP metering X2, and 0606 generic PCM processor fault X2). I've tried 3 different PMDs with different resistors. I have a fuel pressure guage inline before the IP. It never pulls a negative pressure. So I am getting fuel to the IP.

The only recent change was the addition of the stage 1 wake-up kit (re-flashed computer, spring actuated turbo wastegate cntroller, high flow air cleaner and high flow lift pump). It has been on with no problems for about 2 months and 1500 miles.

ANYONE?????

Thanks again
Doug

Old 07-24-2011, 05:58 PM
Default Update

I had a spare pcm computer in the garage. I hadn't sent the core back for the stage 1 kit yet. I swapped them out, and still have the same issues. So, at this point, I can rule out the computer and PMD. The 251 code suggests that it might have something to do with the optical sensor on the IP. BTW, it idles smooth. This problem seems to happen under power only. I also let everything cool for several hours. The same thing happens weather it is hot or cool.

Last edited by dscaberboy; 07-24-2011 at 06:00 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:18 PM

update 7-27
I've checked the fuel shut off solenoid. I had a spare, so I swapped them out. No fix yet. pulled a po 360 code too.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:09 PM

Still No ideas? I'm in a bind here. Oh yeah, the starter stopped working now. It turns, but won't engage the gear with the flywheel. I pulled it out and took it to a local shop. They estimated it will be about $100 fix.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:56 PM

OK, I might have really screwed up. Over the fpast couple of days, I had issues with my starter while trying to figure out why the truck won't run. I pulled it off two days ago and went to work yesterday. This is my fear. While I was at work, it rained pretty hard, and the hood was down but not latched. The problem is that I had left the air intake horn off the turbo intake. Today, after putting the repaired starter back on, and cranking, I remembered that it was possibly exposed to some water. There were no strange noises. everything cranked fine, but When I remembered, and looked in the turbo intake, there was a little standing water. I rolled up a towel and sopped it out. Do you guys think I might have hydrolocked the engine? It cranks fine, but won't start. How can I check easily?