Hummer H1 The original Hummer, which brought the Hummer look to the public eye during Desert Storm, with the addition of some features that make the H1 more of a street vehicle and less of a Army truck

Just purchased my first H1, have lots of questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 11:22 PM
Default Just purchased my first H1, have lots of questions

Hi,
I live in Phoenix AZ. I've been looking for a good H1 for some time now. I wanted something with under 55K miles on it. I found a 96 TD OT that was taken care of fairly well in my opinion, based on the service history.
Most recently the owner had the cooling system tubing replaced to a larger caliber piping to allow for more fluid, to circulate faster.
That in leads to my first question. I took it to work from home, about 13 mile one way with the AC on full blast. It was about 96 outside, by the time i got to work the engine temperature was almost red lining. I know thats not suppose to happen. However the previous owner has on order a rear AC blower, which has gone out. Can the rear AC blower cause the engine to heat up that much? It doesn't make sense to me, but maybe.
The other thing was the owner had an extra brush gaurd that wraped around the front and over the hood, it attaches to the two hooks on the engine roof, but there are no clips. He doesn't know how to attach it, and hasn't really inquired, any idea how that might work?
thanks

PS anyone know of good place in PHX to start an adventure with an H1?

Old 05-26-2011, 11:42 PM
Super Moderator

The rear ac unit being out won't cause the engine to run hot. 96*, ac on full and highway speed probably means running hot. Slow down a little and the temp will drop. AMG says normal operating temps include up to red line. I am never comfortable getting close to that so I slow down. Not sure that the larger hoses will do you any good.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:44 PM
Super Moderator

Send me a PM and I will put you in touch with some Phoenix area Hummer owners.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:36 AM

I agree with 3hummers. The hoses may be larger, but, all of your hard plumbing is still the same size. So, the coolant is still going to have to slow down to squeeze through those inlets/outlets/passageways. Think of it this way.....just because you have a front yard that can hold 1000 people rather than 100, doesn't mean that they can get through your front door any quicker. Your front door is still 36" wide(or so). Some things that will aid in cooling is an auxiliary fan set up, HO(highoutput) water pump, lower temp thermostats, hood scoop, etc. These things can be purchased through companies like SS Diesel Supply(my favorite), Teaka Toys, Predator, and a general google search. I had some major over heating issues when I got mine. Turned out that the radiator was completely stopped up due to pond scum/algae. So you may want to remove the AC cooler and trans/engine oil cooler and have a look at the radiator. But, as he said earlier, full AC, high ambient temps, and highway speeds will immediately start making your temps rise. The airflow/cooling system is very inefficient on a Hummer

Old 05-27-2011, 07:33 AM

Thanks,
I new that the overheating would be an issue, but I was going 60mph. I can't imagine getting up into the mountains with the AC on without overheating. I've been reading some threads about fans, but I can't imagine a fan blowing more air then the truck can swallow at 60mph.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

Not sure how current the servicing on the truck is but you might want to get a coolant flush/ radiator service done if you are not sure when the last one was done.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:20 AM

Thanks 3hummers. I'm trying to figure out how to PM you, but i can't find the link.
I would assume that the radiator was flushed when they re-did the piping for the unit. It was done by a reputable Hummer dealer/service in Phoenix, so i can't imagine them trying to side step it. I was thinking of power washing the radiator to see if i can get some of the dirt out of it.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:20 PM
Super Moderator

Careful with the power washer. You have to set whether you receive emails or pms on your home page. Set your preferences for pms.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:30 PM

3hummers. I've been trying to get the PM to work, however it says:
vdhillon2, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

i went onto my account and activated anything i could.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:26 PM

You need a certain amount of posts before you can PM. It's to keep spammers from registering and bothering people.