Hummer H1 The original Hummer, which brought the Hummer look to the public eye during Desert Storm, with the addition of some features that make the H1 more of a street vehicle and less of a Army truck

6.5 engine performance

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 02:45 PM
Default 6.5 engine performance

I am new to H1 ownership and I have a few questions can these engines handle performance upgrades? I see teakatoys offering enough stuff between computers and chips along with injectors to get an extra 100+ horsepower? The only diesel I have ever modified was the bulletproof cummins 5.9l that thing would take anything I through at I had twins nitrous you name it but I have never heard of these 6.5l building any power. I would appreciate your input.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 6.5 engine performance

I have not upgraded any of mine as I felt the performance was what I needed for off road driving. I know people with the 6.5 in non hummer vehicles that have done chips and Predator Motorsports, among others, has the upgrade modules for more torque and HP.
If you watch on Ebay these performance chips and tuners come up for sale semi-regularly.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

Depends on the budget... I don't own one, I'm not very proficient on diesels this small,and I'm not sure what else you would want to do to the drivetrain... but...

you can get 300+ horsepower out of the 6.5l TD and have something in the mid 500's for torque... and still have a very dependable motor.

Heath Diesel, Kennedy Diesel... etc... it's out there. The guys on the diesel forums would tell you to change the turbo down tube, chip it, propane inject it, marine injectors,etc...

Old 01-03-2008, 03:51 PM

Cummins diesels are probably bulletproof because I saw one that was running two turbos at about 60 to 80 psi and still had propane, nitrous, and methanol injection....it was running about 1200hp without nitrous or the propane and almost 1600hp with the entire setup, dont ask me torque wise

Old 01-03-2008, 04:02 PM

with the 6.5L found in our H1's the weak point which im sure alot will agree is the headers. So if you plan on doing alot of performance tweaking I'd suggest upgrading the headers. Other than that I see no problem in adding performance items I myself was goingto add some might still do so but I am currently debating whether or not to spend money on this engine since down the road I really plan on doing a DMax conversion so might just save my money in the "Performance Piggy Bank" and wait till I got enough to either do the Dmax conversion or Cummins.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:02 PM

Is there a cummins conversion and if so where do you get it? Also if I do mod this 6.5 where is the best place to get the parts?

Old 01-03-2008, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator

Hate to answer a question with a question but what mods do you think you are most likely to do?

Old 01-03-2008, 10:13 PM

I was thinkin injectors, chip and air cleaner I saw Heath Diesel had a stage 3 kit for 105hp. I had a twin turbo Dodge with nitrous and water methanol injection. So I thought maybe adding water meth as well. My truck put down 742rwhp and 1900 on the torque side. I miss that truck. Engine blockon the truck was completely stock aside of arp headstuds and o ringed head. It would spike 110lbs of boost with a hx40 pushing through a ht3b on the lower. I really miss that truck. LOL! I always modify my Diesels that just seem so much more drivable. I also have bomb'n fever all my rides are pumped up (b.o.m.b.) stands for better off modified baby!

Old 01-03-2008, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator

I think you better plan on upgrading to the heavy half shafts and drive shafts. LOL

Old 01-04-2008, 12:20 AM

Yah I went through all that stuff in my dodge LOL Billet input, intermediate and output shaft. Then I was breaking u joints so I went with heavy duty u joints. Of course that didnt end the problem because I was know snapping yokes on the dana 60 (front) and the Dana 70 rear. I had billet yokes custom made and finally I twisted a couple drivelines. Of course this was during 20 psi boost launches and tractor pulling. Good times!

Quick Reply: 6.5 engine performance