H3 Idling Rough - Head Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 12:59 AM
Default RE: H3 Idling Rough - Head Problems?

don't know about any other stock h3 on the road, but I know I was faster than the one I ran against.

I love the h3 as a truck...I just hate mine. Which Is why I said for my one year anniversary that I was going to drive it off a bridge

Old 11-21-2007, 07:14 PM

I am having the same problem. I have a 2007 H3 with a little over 2,000 miles and it just started a few hundred miles ago. (Rough idle) When I took it back to the dealer they told me that it was normal that it is a unbalanced engine and that is a draw back to the V5. That is wierd to me because it didn't do it when I brought it. This just started shortly after putting in a new radio then traction control button stopped working as well around the same time? Why is the MAF??

Old 01-24-2008, 10:02 AM

ORIGINAL: PhxRealtor

My H3 with about 17,000 miles started to idle rough a while back. Otherwise it seems to run good. No real loss in power. I'm wondering if this means I have head/cylinder problems? It seems to get worse if I use certain electrical items when idling, like power windows or step on the brake etc.. Just wondering if anyone has any insight on this. Mine was one of the earlier 2006's built.
My H3 was built in March 2006 and has had this problem, plus many more.

The rough idle started at about 20,000 on mine. Over the course of a month it transformed from minor shaking in idle and steering wheel vibrations, to dropping rpms in 1st gear while driving and at idle. Eventually the engine light came on flashing (along with shaking like I was driving over rocks) and OnStar ran a diagnostic. Misfire signals, said it should not be operated to prevent serious, permanent damage and it had to be towed in.

It is definitely worse when you brake, use A/C, other electrical. After the repair, my battery started going dead frequently and they just replaced it. Only at 24,500 miles.

I was told that the car had been running on 4 cylinders, likely since mile one because of bad valve casting- replaced the head. They said they repaired it, but it is still idling rough, worse in reverse, and the Dealer said they do not see anything wrong.

I also had the heater core fail at 9,000 miles when it was 38 degrees outside. Windows began fogging followed by anti freeze spewing through air vents while I was driving. Ever since the repair, the passenger side has a rattle- which dealer has said they repaired, but still makes noise.

Am on 4th chrome grill because of #1's chrome flaking off, the repair people ruining #2 when working on the head/valve problem, and the 3rd one developing orange oxidation spots all over.

I wanted to love this vehicle, but I am sadly dissapointed.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:03 PM

Hey Brad, missed your earlier newbie email. Welcome - we live in the same zip code! See you around (or at least after we see a pic)

Old 08-10-2011, 12:25 PM

Hey guys, just to give you an idea.... its the second time i've had the same problem about idling. the first time happened at around 20'000 miles and i discovered a spark plug was a little wet...!? i changed it and that was the end of that... now the problem came back at 50'000... http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/8996/hummerplugs.jpg not sure if the image will work but as you can see 3 of the 5 spark plugs were rusted!?? there is clearly water coming through somewhere and creeping into my spark plugs... i changed all of them to the top of the line BOSCH super 4 spark plug ( wow what a difference in performance... you actually feel a difference ) now the problem is gone, and my engine light turned off after a few hours of driving.. the truck actually runs better then when i bought it..lol but now the real question is... where the hell is this water coming from!!?? i siliconed around each spark plug wire so there is no way the water can leak in anymore.... i'll keep you guys posted on any results... and if i find this mystery water!

Old 08-10-2011, 12:40 PM

The water is prob coming from your fake hood louver thingy. They are not water tight and if you have not had the "recall" where they "glue" that sucker in there i'm betting that is it.