Anyone with over 50k + miles @ no valve problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 05:20 AM
Default Anyone with over 50k + miles @ no valve problems

Wondering if anyone has say 50,000 or more miles and never had a valve or head problem. Trying to gauge if this is a problem we will all have once the mileage is up there.

And why would the Colorado/Canyon trucks with the same engine not have this problem ?

Old 11-20-2006, 09:33 AM
Default RE: Anyone with over 50k + miles @ no valve problems

I have over 20k, early model without out any problems. Well not really, rear window washer switch went bad, jack recall that the dealer hasn't fix in 2 months. No engine problems though, I'm with you on this, just waiting for a problem. I had planned to buy it after the lease was up but now I'm not too sure.
Wayne

Old 11-20-2006, 12:20 PM

7500 miles here..

But looking back to day 1, when the first H3's hit the dealer's lots back last May 05...think about how damn many of these beasties are still rolling down the road almost problem free, leastways with no engine problems and I venture to say that they have well over 30,000 miles on them by a vast majority..The reason most folks don't hear about all the good ones is just that, they have nothing to complain about and remain to be a silent majority...and most folks don't do internet forums either.

Old 11-20-2006, 02:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Dennis
The reason most folks don't hear about all the good ones is just that, they have nothing to complain about and remain to be a silent majority...and most folks don't do internet forums either.
How true. There are how many H3s out there now? Fifty or sixty thousand? A thousand new owners a week? And how many registered H3 forum members...hundreds maybe?? Just one disgruntled owner in the H3 forums can make a low incidence problem sound like a plague. Its the same on any auto forum. Still, negative reports on the H3 are rare.

8,500 trouble-free miles (including trail use) here.

Old 11-20-2006, 03:57 PM

and you are specualting that the tens of thousands of h3 owners that ARE NOT on internet forums are having no problems with theirs. Who's to say that there aren't 25,000 h3's rolling around out there that ARE having problems? You can't, and neither can I.

Fact is there is a problem, a big enough one that GM has redesigned the part affected, big enough one that almost any dealership you call has seen the problem and repaired a few before. I know Dennis' dealership has never heard of the problem but I can tell you for a fact that EVERY dealership I called locally in NJ, PA has heard of and repaired the problem on multiple trucks.

Seriously I don't understand how any h3 owner can sit at their computer and downplay the problem, and can actually be foolish enough to believe that it's not a problem but rather a few disgruntled owners causing a stink....get a clue guys!!! I have talked to an engineer at GM and they are aware of the problem, so it's not a made up issue, as a hummer tech posted, GM even has a vin# range for the trucks that could be affected.
Keep believeing that it a rare problem blown out of porportion....till you get the code and engine light....then you'll be reading all these "disgruntled" threads trying to get info that you can use.

Old 11-20-2006, 04:08 PM

You're right Mike and I don't get me wrong, I'm not down playing this problem in the least...I believe also it is a valid and high priorty issue with these I5s and GM...I just think there is fewer with the problem than there is not...I'm just crunching the numbers and the precentage is low for having the valve issue vs the number of units out there...If you are the unfortunate one to have it, then it really does seem to be a major issue, and that I can understand too.

Old 11-20-2006, 04:17 PM

I agree that the percent of affected units out there MAY be low.
but in reality..... when compared to the entire population, the percentage of people in the world with cancer is also low...doesn't make it any less of an epidemic.

Old 11-20-2006, 04:37 PM

Maybe it is bad Karma for wanting to kill all those imports.

Perhaps you should make a list like Earl....

I have not had a bit of trouble out of mine..nothing (knock wood)

regularly get 15 or 16 in the city and 18 or 19 on the road

Old 11-20-2006, 05:02 PM

except for my crappy MPG I haven't had any trouble out of mine either, just one check engine light that came out of the blue...that I just found out was an engine misfire code which is the first symptom of the valve issue.

Old 11-20-2006, 05:05 PM

We are looking at a some bad parts that got into the production line. Heads with soft valve guides. What we need to know is what VINs and build dates are affected. Miles is only a nice to know thing and may have no bearing on if a problem may surface.

Percentages are only percentages. You can't tell from a small sampling of forum members what is actually hapening. The only ones that do know are GM, and they arnt saying yet.

I can bet that they have traced down the supplier and know very close where the affected trucks fall in the production line. I sure want to know.

Quick Reply: Anyone with over 50k + miles @ no valve problems