Anyone with over 50k + miles @ no valve problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 05:32 PM
Default RE: Anyone with over 50k + miles @ no valve problems

ORIGINAL: cnynctry

We are looking at a some bad parts that got into the production line. Heads with soft valve guides. What we need to know is what VINs and build dates are affected. Miles is only a nice to know thing and may have no bearing on if a problem may surface.

Percentages are only percentages. You can't tell from a small sampling of forum members what is actually hapening. The only ones that do know are GM, and they arnt saying yet.

I can bet that they have traced down the supplier and know very close where the affected trucks fall in the production line. I sure want to know.
Steve (H3X442) POSTED THIS ON THE OTHER THREAD;

I would like to add on this cylinder head issue. I am a shop forman at a Cadillac Hummer dealer and we have ony replaced the head on 2 trucks so far. We have sold a lot of 06 H3's with only 2 being effected so far. The PI lists trucks with a vin number before 68287591 (last eight of vin) might be effected. I hope this helps a little on this subject. Steve

Old 11-20-2006, 06:17 PM

ORIGINAL: importkiller

and you are specualting that the tens of thousands of h3 owners that ARE NOT on internet forums are having no problems with theirs. Who's to say that there aren't 25,000 h3's rolling around out there that ARE having problems? You can't, and neither can I.
Sure I can. If the head problem wasn't rare, these forums would be overwhelmed with rightfully pissed-off H3 (and Colorado) owners and Hummer employees. I've been watching the reliable H3 forums since I bought mine in Oct 05, and have only seen a handful of posts from people with this problem. I'm not downplaying your problem, but there's no evidence that this is anything but a limited run of bad parts, not an engine design problem on all early H3s as some of the affected owners seem to think. Spend time on any automotive forum and there will always be serious problems reported by a few, especially on first model year vehicles.

Old 11-20-2006, 06:49 PM

actually I'm guessing you don't read the forum all that much, because as stated by a hummer tech there has been a PI issued from GM stating that all h3's with the last 8 of the vin before 68287591 could be affected....still think GM would put out such a PI for something that is "rare"? Now a PI from GM with a specific VIN number run IS EVIDENCE that this has/will effect many h3's on the road today....check your VIN...Bet your one of the ones that may run into problems.

Old 11-20-2006, 08:37 PM

[
actually I'm guessing you don't read the forum all that much, because as stated by a hummer tech there has been a PI issued from GM stating that all h3's with the last 8 of the vin before 68287591 could be affected....still think GM would put out such a PI for something that is "rare"? Now a PI from GM with a specific VIN number run IS EVIDENCE that this has/will effect many h3's on the road today....check your VIN...Bet your one of the ones that may run into problems.
GM absolutely would put out an order; to go on the record with monitoring and corrective action as a defense against potential class action suits for problems not acted on. If the problem had a significant occurance probability, owners of all potentially affected vehicles would be notified to take it to the dealer for inspection, if not to schedule head replacement. After the BMW paint case, car makers know better than to play games on warranty issues. Too many lawyers ready to pounce. Trolling for victims to enroll in class actions is also pretty common on auto forums. Not even GM is that dumb (I hope). I don't know what "the last 8 of the VIN" means; eight digits covers 100 million VINs.

Don't get me wrong, I niether defending GM or downplaying the problem for those affected. If I do have cylinder head problems I will be pissed. But you and others seem to be making a case that GM is doing something devious or stonewalling, and I see little basis for that.

Old 11-20-2006, 09:08 PM

ORIGINAL: SedonaBoundH3
But you and others seem to be making a case that GM is doing something devious or stonewalling, and I see little basis for that.
Im with you Sedona, I have yet to see a case where GM looks shady in this situation. They have made attempts to fix problems and they have honored their warranty..which is why there is a warranty...to cover situations like that. They stand by what they make to the point that if it fails, they will do what they can to fix it. Now some have failed and they have done what they can to fix it. Now if there was a problem and Hummer was saying there was not at all or they were forcing customers to pay for massive parts and labor, then I would say its time to bring in the lawyers but from what I have seen, they have done just as promised when you agreed to buy.
Now yes, its easy for us who have not had a problem to say things like this but again, the meaning of a warranty is not that it will never ever break. It means that if it does, it will be fixed and to me thats what it looks like GM is doing.

Old 11-20-2006, 09:32 PM

About the VIN, I checked mine and I fall in the group but I did some investigating and only the last 6 digits are the serial number.
The code: 68287591
The first digit (6) means its a 2006 and the second digit (8) means assembly plant #8 which is the Shreveport, LA plant.
so the S/N's affected is 287591 but the first vehicle off the line is S/N 100001 so 187,591 H3's could possibly be effected.

Old 11-20-2006, 09:35 PM

ORIGINAL: Ghostrider

About the VIN, I checked mine and I fall in the group but I did some investigating and only the last 6 digits are the serial number.
The code: 68287591
The first digit (6) means its a 2006 and the second digit (8) means assembly plant #8 which is the Shreveport, LA plant.
so the S/N's affected is 287591 but the first vehicle off the line is S/N 100001 so 187,591 H3's could possibly be effected.
Anyone know when GM plans to hit 180,000 H3s produced? 2008 maybe?

Old 11-20-2006, 11:55 PM

ORIGINAL: SedonaBoundH3

[
GM absolutely would put out an order; to go on the record with monitoring and corrective action as a defense against potential class action suits for problems not acted on. If the problem had a significant occurance probability, owners of all potentially affected vehicles would be notified to take it to the dealer for inspection, if not to schedule head replacement. After the BMW paint case, car makers know better than to play games on warranty issues. Too many lawyers ready to pounce. Trolling for victims to enroll in class actions is also pretty common on auto forums. Not even GM is that dumb (I hope). I don't know what "the last 8 of the VIN" means; eight digits covers 100 million VINs.

Don't get me wrong, I niether defending GM or downplaying the problem for those affected. If I do have cylinder head problems I will be pissed. But you and others seem to be making a case that GM is doing something devious or stonewalling, and I see little basis for that.

I have never said anything to the effect that I feel GM is doing something devious...I think you have me confused with someone else. I actually posted the exact opposite thing in other threads, I feel GM found their error and has made the proper corrections in making harder valve guide castings. Some have made the whole gm conspiracy theory...I am not one of them.

Old 11-21-2006, 02:35 PM

I have never said anything to the effect that I feel GM is doing something devious...I think you have me confused with someone else. I actually posted the exact opposite thing in other threads, I feel GM found their error and has made the proper corrections in making harder valve guide castings. Some have made the whole gm conspiracy theory...I am not one of them.
Sorry if I read more into your post than you intended.

Old 11-21-2006, 04:26 PM
JM

does anyone know how many of I5 vortec engines has been produced 200,000. 300,000.. more??. since 2004. They are in use in the COLORADO and in the CANYON and... in the H3

I don't believe for a second that there is a flaw in the design of this engine.

the problem might have an external reason... let's try to find out the common factor linking together all the forum members having the problem.

Quick Reply: Anyone with over 50k + miles @ no valve problems