General Hummer Talk Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

WHY DOES HUMMER HAVE SOOOOO MANY HATERS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 09:14 AM
Default RE: WHY DOES HUMMER HAVE SOOOOO MANY HATERS?

One comment I received was asking why I would want to drive a truck with leaf springs. [sm=dontgetit.gif]

Old 10-29-2007, 09:18 AM

ORIGINAL: TexH3

I think the H2 brought it on by being what they see as typifying a brutish gas-guzzler. The H3 just gets the spill-over because of the brand name.

The funny thing is the H2 is no worse than many big Pick-ups, Suburbans, etc. which out-numberit on the roadby thousands to 1. So they are not merely haters, but ignorant haters.
This plus the in-your-face/intimidatingHummer styling make it an easy target. There is an element of green activism,another elementthat takes issue with theprice/extraverted nature of the trucks, andsome Jeep/LR/Toyota owners are just used to having "off-road" to themselves.

It's interesting to note that Toyota is getting a lot ofhatefromcertain global warming activistswith the launch of the new Tacoma. Seems that some of them are not ignorant at least on this point. (On the other hand, watch Al Gore's "Inconvenient Truth" and decide for yourself how much global warming would be eliminated even if everyone in the world just parked theirpersonal vehicles for good.)

Old 10-29-2007, 09:31 AM

I would love to ask the Prius driver how she thinks she's saving the Earth by cruising the malls all weekend!

Old 10-29-2007, 09:41 AM

I've heard all the HUMMER crap and it was partly brought on by HUMMER drivers early on as well as the media. When the $100,000 H1 first came out it was jealousy! Then the $70,000 H2 came out and all the Soccer Mom's bought them and few went off road. So much so that they were parodied on Pixars movie CARS. People saw this huge military looking vehicle dropping the kids off at school with a cute little "kept" wife driving it and thought "What a bunch of Goobers!" Strange factis they never thought that about the absolutely HUGE Ford Excursion but it didn't look like a HUMMER and nobody was making this in your face statement by driving it. Remember the H2 commercials HUMMER/GM made with the Mommy on the playground and the kid being bullied? SHe ran straight down to her HUMMER dealer and bought an H2 to make her the "tough" Mommy. That was insane marketing by HUMMER and only made the situation worse by propagating that stereotype. The tone has softened a little with the H3 because of the way GM has strarted marketing them. The new commercials show the H3 mostly off-road and using the "adventure" theme like Ford Explorer used to do. I guess GM learned an old trick, people won't resent them if they think HUMMER drivers are off-roading their vehicles. It's all very complicated and shows a great deal about marketing, public perception and brand typing. For a good blog read http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/a...hp?t-5767.html. Insiders discuss the HUMMER. If you never saw a stupid commercial, a rapper or ghetto prince driving one or a soccer Mom dropping her kids off at school there probably wouldn't be this H2 perception problem. Oh well, the media will find something to hate soon and life will move on....

Old 10-29-2007, 10:16 AM

OH DON'T GET ME STARTED...I got so much flack from a friend of mine when I told her I bought my hummer. Her STUPID response was "Hummers are the reason were in IRAQ (refering to gas guzzling)". I told her I'm getting aprox 18 mpg and then had to reminder it was made by the same company that made her Saturn. She said she cares about the environment and couldn't wait to get her Prius. I then asked her "Oh, how many miles do you drive a year? She said not much, about 4,000. So I said "then it really doesnt matter what you get, and in fact your both HURTING our environment and economy! 1st Toyota is a forgin owned comapny and is killing our US auto makers and taking BILLIONS of dollars out of our economy! 2nd Hybred's use battery's and a lot of them! Battery's are good for about 6-10 years before they need replaced, and a used battery is concidered HAZARDOUS WASTE! So exactly how are you helping our country or our environment? SHE HAD NO RESPONSE.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:50 AM

ORIGINAL: HumV

Well thats becuase they are losers and websites like this.
http://www.fuh2.com/
That site is hilarious.
I actually have serious concerns myself for the earth's enviroment and the irreversible damage that has been done, but I don't understand the extreme negative attitude that is expressed by someregarding what other people drive.
Big, heavy, gas guzzling, exhaust spewingvehicles have been around for decades. Somehow, for whatever reason, the Hummer name became the catch-all punching bag.

The thing that cracks me up most about that site, is that in attempting to promote something positive, they're promoting an extremely negative attitude. How do you send a positive message to fellow human beings by flipping them off simply because of the vehicle they choose to drive? You end up looking like a total ***** regardless of your motivation.
I believe most of those die-hard attitudes are brought on byinadequacies in other areas of one's life. It's the "I-feel-a-big-gaping-hole-in-my-life-and-in-order-to-feel-better-about-myself-I-need-something-to-fight-for-even-if-I-don't-understand-exactly-what-it-is-or-have-all-my-facts-straight" syndrome.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:01 AM

Q: What's the difference between a Prius and a Porcupine? A: The Porcupine has the ****** on the outside! LOL

Old 10-29-2007, 11:27 AM

[sm=funnypostabove.gif]

Old 10-29-2007, 02:35 PM

ORIGINAL: 2zRescue

OH DON'T GET ME STARTED...I got so much flack from a friend of mine when I told her I bought my hummer. Her STUPID response was "Hummers are the reason were in IRAQ (refering to gas guzzling)". I told her I'm getting aprox 18 mpg and then had to reminder it was made by the same company that made her Saturn. She said she cares about the environment and couldn't wait to get her Prius. I then asked her "Oh, how many miles do you drive a year? She said not much, about 4,000. So I said "then it really doesnt matter what you get, and in fact your both HURTING our environment and economy! 1st Toyota is a forgin owned comapny and is killing our US auto makers and taking BILLIONS of dollars out of our economy! 2nd Hybred's use battery's and a lot of them! Battery's are good for about 6-10 years before they need replaced, and a used battery is concidered HAZARDOUS WASTE! So exactly how are you helping our country or our environment? SHE HAD NO RESPONSE.
"Hummers are the reason were in IRAQ (refering to gas guzzling)".
You should of told her no thats not the reason. The reason we are in Iraq is becuase of BUSH! but thats another forum.

Old 10-29-2007, 02:36 PM

Dont Hate the Humvees Hate the Tree Huggers!

HA!!

Quick Reply: WHY DOES HUMMER HAVE SOOOOO MANY HATERS?