General Hummer Talk Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Under Hood Lighting

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2024 | 01:49 PM
|
Super Moderator
Default Under Hood Lighting

Anyone wire in some under the hood LED lights? I'm giving this some consideration

I was with a friend in his older F150 driving home from a mutual friend's home out in the sticks (farms, woods, dirt roads and NO Street lights). The damn thing quit when we hit a small bump? We ended up getting going again, but we had to use cell phones to look around for the problem and it took a lot longer than it would have if we could have seen what the heck we were looking for. Was the power wire/cable from the battery to the main fuse box... old and crispy, wiggled and boom fired up. When looking at it in daylight it was fairly obvious, but feeling around in the dark it might as well have been invisible. He replaced that and all good since.

Might be a good thing to have under the hood on these older trucks?

Old 09-27-2024 | 02:01 PM
Old 09-27-2024 | 03:20 PM

i remember back in the late 80's to 90's gm's had these windup hardwired crank things

Old 09-27-2024 | 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by bronxteck
i remember back in the late 80's to 90's gm's had these windup hardwired crank things
With the same light output you can get from a lit matchstick.

Old 09-30-2024 | 02:31 PM

DOC, this is my next "project", light reel from ebay was $20 LED bulb was $12.
Nice thing is it can reach into places due to the wire. Going to glue a magnet tot he back of the light portion so it will "stick" to metal parts.

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/16...od-reel-light/

Old 09-30-2024 | 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by hummerz
With the same light output you can get from a lit matchstick.
Not when you upgrade with an LED bulb. Surprised you looked down on this mod with all your unnecessary rear LED lights.

Old 09-30-2024 | 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
Not when you upgrade with an LED bulb. Surprised you looked down on this mod with all your unnecessary rear LED lights.
Do you still also use a corded phone?
Does your corded light reach all the way to the rear?
My cordless work light is MUCH BRIGHTER/Magnetic/will go anywhere and charges up with the same cable for my cell phone!

Old 09-30-2024 | 11:09 PM

but will you lose the corded light?

Old 10-01-2024 | 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by hummerz
Do you still also use a corded phone?
Does your corded light reach all the way to the rear?
My cordless work light is MUCH BRIGHTER/Magnetic/will go anywhere and charges up with the same cable for my cell phone!
It has an 18ft cord, no need to "find" a light it is always under the hood ready to go and I no longer have those antiquated power ports in my dash.
No need to charge it either.
If needed I have a Milwaukee Underbody Light under the back seat for more involved trail repairs.

Originally Posted by bronxteck
but will you lose the corded light?
EXACTLY, and you don't have to charge it.

Old 10-01-2024 | 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
I no longer have those antiquated power ports in my dash.
12v auxiliary port is NOT antiquated! My wife's 2020 GMC Terrain has them & only 1 in the cargo as does my 2007 3. Vine sent me this multi port adapter along with an inflatable, air compressor, & lights that she will be using at the trunk or treat event. Now, she can connect the 12v inflatable(built in blower), 12v air compressor to blow up balloons, connect 3 USB devices(power/charge), monitor battery voltage with the integrated voltmeter(when to start up engine-alternator), all at the same time.

Quick Reply: Under Hood Lighting